Smartest thing that club ever did.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Insomniac

Reserve Grader
Ricky says offering DCE the contract to not go to the Titans was the best thing the Manly club ever did and Penn should put flowers on Fultons grave every week in thanks. Thanks Ricky. Couldn't agree more. Love to post the article from News Sport but can't work it . Sorry.

NRL 2022: Manly Sea Eagles win 25-6 over Canberra Raiders, as Tom Trbojevic, Daly Cherry-Evans star​

Tom Trbojevic has had a quiet start to the season but he’s officially back, as Daly Cherry-Evans produced some magic with the boot to trounce Canberra.

Martin Gabor and Michael Carayannis

4 min read
April 2, 2022 - 8:23PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...795ad296cd7ad6704172b08aa0ecf?amp#share-tools
Video-link
NRL: Manly Sea Eagles star Daly Cherry-Evans delighted with the boot against the Canberra Raiders, with Braith Anasta labeling the performance a 'kicking masterclass'.
subscriber-breach-pixel
anonymous-breach-pixel
1648896166390.gif
1648896166426.gif
1648896166408.gif
registered-breach-pixel

A veteran’s right boot and a young gun’s blazing speed provided the fizz to Manly’s attack as the ‘Cherry-Koula’ combination helped the Sea Eagles beat Canberra 25-6 in Mudgee and earned unprecedented praise from Ricky Stuart.
Footy in the small NSW town has been a rare thing, but not as rare as the 20/40. But thanks to Daly Cherry-Evans, the tally has doubled after he nailed one early in the second half when the Raiders never saw it coming.
It’s just the second 20/40 ever kicked in the NRL after Melbourne’s Brandon Smith nailed one in the preliminary final loss to Penrith last year.
It was just one of a number of crafty kicks by the Sea Eagles skipper who backed up last week’s match-winning field goal with another heroic display as he kicked Canberra into submission.
Whoever the new CEO is may as well sign Cherry-Evans for another 10 years after Saturday’s showreel earned incredible praise from the opposition coach.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free In Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The Sea Eagles started slow in 2022 but have finally shaken off the rust with back-to-back wins. Picture: Getty Images.
“If I’m the Manly boss then I’d be going down there and putting a fresh bunch of flowers on Bob Fulton’s grave every day,” Ricky Stuart said.

“The smartest play that club ever made is pinching him back off the Titans for $1 million for 10 years. Everybody bagged ‘Bozo’ for it but it’s a masterstroke.”

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler agreed.

This is remarkable from DCE. Absolute control. #NRLManlyRaiders
— Dan Talintyre (@dantalintyre) April 2, 2022

Feel like Manly and Canberra have put in the same effort but Manly have been much smarter. You can’t buy what DCE has between the ears, it can only be earned.
— Nick Campton (@campo37) April 2, 2022

“He’s probably just referencing what a great competitor he is and a leader as well. It’s those clutch moments, and that’s what he does so well,” he said.

“It’s great that you finally get to write about a 20/40. I thought his kicking game today was exceptional.”

He forced an error with a towering bomb, earned a couple of repeat sets, grubbered to set up a crucial try for Haumole Olakau’atu, landed a 40-20 and then put the cherry on top with a field goal to complete kicking’s version of bingo.

In all he kicked for a whopping 632 metres, with his umpteenth 40/20 leading to Tom Trbojevic’s match-sealing try from the very next set.

“A lot of it’s just off momentum and ruck speed from our forwards. It’s very instinctive stuff so I just got lucky with a few bounces,” Cherry-Evans humbly said.

Tom Trbojevic has also struggled so far this season but produced his best performance of the year. Picture: Getty Images.
CENTRE OF ATTENTION

Sea Eagles fans and Supercoach fanatics have been crying out for Des Hasler to pick Tolu Koula. Now he’s in, he may never leave their backline.

The 19-year-old has Olympic pedigree and his searing speed earned plenty of column inches in the pre-season.

It’s clear he’s still raw, but the potential is there after a really impressive showing on Saturday.

Koula was heavily involved and it took just 12 minutes for the left centre to justify his selection after he beat a defender and popped a pass for Reuben Garrick to open the scoring.

He finished the evening with 141 metres and a stack of tackles, but most importantly he held his own in defence which is exactly what Hasler wanted to see.

HISTORY REPEATS

It took an ugly 13-12 win to get them going last year, and history may be repeating for Manly.

In 2021 they started with four losses but turned it around thanks to a DCE field goal to win 13-12. They went to Mudgee the following week, recorded a big win with Trbojevic back in the side and went on to finish in the top four.

Last week they won 13-12 thanks to a Cherry-Evans field goal and backed it up in Mudgee with Trbojevic racking up 252 running metres in the win while playing with a cork.

“It’s bizarre,” Cherry-Evans said.

The Raiders were their own worst enemy as Manly’s kicking game forced them to be too adventurous with the ball, coming up with too many errors. Picture: Getty Images.
HOLD IT

Sometimes quality trumps quantity.

The Raiders won the offload count 21-10 but their desperation to promote the football proved their undoing as their completion rate fell apart in the second half.

The Green Machine looked flat in the first 40 but were rescued by some strong touches by Jack Wighton, but there was nothing positive about their play after the break.

They turned the ball over at a worrying rate and never challenged Manly’s line because they were too keen to move the ball. Offloads look great when they come off, but sometimes a safety-first approach is what it takes to win.

“It’s (about picking the moments). A couple of them weren’t in the moment, and it hurt us,” Stuart said.

“We know what’s hurting us.”

RAIDER’S WOES
Canberra hooker Tom Starling says it is the same errors each week. Coach Ricky Stuart agrees but said the problems can be fixed as the Raiders begin their first month of the season with two wins and two losses.

Starling said the side were “killing ourselves with yardage errors”.

“We’re giving easy leg ups with penalties,” Starling said. “We keep talking about it but we keep doing it. We’re not going to win games giving the ball away so early. It is a bit frustrating. It’s an easy fix. Sometimes we have to sit there and know we have to get down their end with a kick. We try and chase points.”

The Raiders trailed just 10-6 at half-time but conceded 15 unanswered second half points. They were unable to repeat their heroics of last week where they overcame a 22 point deficit against the Titans.

The Raiders made 13 errors.

Their second-phase play troubled the Sea Eagles but 24 off-loads resulted in poor handling.

Stuart said his team needed to pick their moments better.

im not concerned about that loss @RaidersCanberra just frustrated the ball handling is not improving we be right #WeAreRaiders
— Marco (@marcoraiders1) April 2, 2022

“A couple of them weren’t in their moment,” Stuart said. “(It is) execution of the correct play. We know what’s hurting us. We spoke about it very briefly (After the game). At 10-6 we were in it. I thought we finished that half off very well.

“We were the stronger team at the break. We spoke about that. Wanted to bounce off it in the second half.”

Canberra skipper Elliott Whitehead added: “We are giving too much ball away and (putting) a little bit too much pressure on.”

Back-rowers Hudson Young and Corey Harawira-Naera were placed on report on either side of half-time.

The Raiders will welcome back Seb Kris from Covid-19 protocols to play the Storm on Saturday.

The thing about Daly is he can be a world beater when things are going well but his lack of 'structured football' to fall back on, means he can look bog average when the going is tough.

Which probably goes someway to explaining why one week we wanna ship him off to Recliffe, and the next, he is a club legend and the greatest signing our club has ever made lol!

People should go back in time and ask themselves "what do we expect a $10 million player to create/offer for the next 8yrs".

I think most here would say, "a competitive side most years with 1-2 premierships" neither has arrived yet.(regardless of the depth or quality of squad he has to work with because at that pay rate he should be making players around him better----like Cronk or Smith)

Geoff Toovey apart, he's our greatest ever halfback, and trust me I've seen a lot of em.
Frank Stanton, Johnny Mayes, John Gibbs, Dennis Ward, Matt Orford. DCE is worth every cent. I hope one day he sticks around to coach us as well, just like Tooves did but longer.

Dce was best on field tonight. As much as Storm supporter sorry Technical Coach wants to bang on about it and death ride even victories.
DCE is still a great half and has earned his keep. You can't expect a half to carry an entire team and to be honest at times he has.

Dce will never be an immortal, he just doesn't change the games. But his long and tactical kicking game is pretty rock solid and I still think he has proven time and time again he is worth it.

DCE plays his best games when he just simplifies everything and doesn't overplay his hand and try too much. That's what he does when he's on the back foot and it's a testament to his efforts but it makes him look really trash. But like today, he gets fewer touches, but quality touches, he's on the front foot, he gets confidence with each of his play, and he looks like a top 5 halfback. I

People should go back in time and ask themselves "what do we expect a $10 million player to create/offer for the next 8yrs".

I think most here would say, "a competitive side most years with 1-2 premierships" neither has arrived yet.(regardless of the depth or quality of squad he has to work with because at that pay rate he should be making players around him better----like Cronk or Smith)
If you could buy 1-2 premierships every 8 years for $10M, every club would say "where do I sign?"

Reality is all you can do is put your best foot forward. I shudder to think of the precession of no hopers we would've had to entertain if we lost Chez to the Titans.

If Chez wins us 1 more he will match Joey.

The thing about Daly is he can be a world beater when things are going well but his lack of 'structured football' to fall back on, means he can look bog average when the going is tough.

Which probably goes someway to explaining why one week we wanna ship him off to Recliffe, and the next, he is a club legend and the greatest signing our club has ever made lol!
Its a team game. Always has and always will be. Even today our forwards while better weren't great. Some players just need the right conditions to flourish. DCE is one of them. We are lucky to have him.

How did that work out for Ben Hunt? Or Anthony Milford? Or Tamalolo? Or ......... The list goes on.

Quoting Cronk or Smith is very funny! well done stormer.....

I think tonight proved that when our forwards dominate then DCE can capitalise with the extra time that provides. If however we get on the back foot then he becomes pretty ineffective and lacks that leadership to drag the whole team forward and carry it on his back.
So the question is does he command the plaudits for being a great player considering how poorly as a club we have performed since the 2015 contract. Tonight was undoubtedly a DCE master class. Close to a 10/10 performance although we did crucify several chances in the 2nd half to absolutely ice this game early through poor options. It's when these performances outweighs the dud ones and deliver that long awaited premiership will then DCE be elevated to the elite level of nrl player. I have my doubts that will ever happen.

Mick,, you do realise he delivered us one in 2011, don't you. I remember I was there.
I was there too and he had a lot of help from absolute champions like the 2 Stewart's, Lyon , Foran, Matai , Watmough, Ballin, Kite. I'm talking about now. To be an absolute elite champion he has to deliver this team a premiership through consistent week after week performances like today as players like Cleary, Munster, Hughes, Cronk, Thurston, Lockyer, Reynolds have done.

Geoff Toovey apart, he's our greatest ever halfback, and trust me I've seen a lot of em.
Frank Stanton, Johnny Mayes, John Gibbs, Dennis Ward, Matt Orford. DCE is worth every cent. I hope one day he sticks around to coach us as well, just like Tooves did but longer.

Nice list - can I add Kevin Junee, Des Hasler and Garry Stephens to that great list

I think tonight proved that when our forwards dominate then DCE can capitalise with the extra time that provides. If however we get on the back foot then he becomes pretty ineffective and lacks that leadership to drag the whole team forward and carry it on his back.
So the question is does he command the plaudits for being a great player considering how poorly as a club we have performed since the 2015 contract. Tonight was undoubtedly a DCE master class. Close to a 10/10 performance although we did crucify several chances in the 2nd half to absolutely ice this game early through poor options. It's when these performances outweighs the dud ones and deliver that long awaited premiership will then DCE be elevated to the elite level of nrl player. I have my doubts that will ever happen.
Dunno mate. A good half still needs the right cattle around them. Reynolds a case in point, playing alongside glorified turds now, he looks bog average. He also had to suffer through the ****ty Barrett era. I don’t recall any half carrying their side to a premiership, but happy to be corrected.

Nice list - can I add Kevin Junee, Des Hasler and Garry Stephens to that great list
Of the ones Insomniac mentioned, may I humbly suggest that Gibbs could have been the greatest of all Manly halfbacks and one of the greatest in the game’s history, but for injury?

Anyone who say him play at his best will remember how the attack grew wings with him there - reminiscent of the impact that Tommy has when in full flight.

Phil Blake could've been the greatest of them all if he'd stayed and gone that next step up in 1982 and 1983 Grand finals. Unfortunately not and then he went walkabout chasing the $$$ at sh*t clubs.

Of the ones Insomniac mentioned, may I humbly suggest that Gibbs could have been the greatest of all Manly halfbacks and one of the greatest in the game’s history, but for injury?

Anyone who say him play at his best will remember how the attack grew wings with him there - reminiscent of the impact that Tommy has when in full flight.
Loved Johnny Gibbs. Met him a couple times as he was related to my best mates' wife. Agree with what you say. Made the mistake of going on a Kangaroo tour injured. Should have stayed back and got treatment. That shortened his career.
My point though is DCE worth the money. I say definately.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8