1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Lyon retire?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Turbo, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    Watching NRL 360 last night, it's an interesting discussion. I personally think Lyon will retire and needs to, moving him to 5/8 is a stupid idea. His defence can't handle 5/8, he missed 5 tackles in centre! He is past his best and it's time to move him on. Pretty simple what we do to replace him, move walker to centre but then who becomes 5/8? There is a number of options

Blake green-Great organiser, would complement DCE Nicley and would come cheap
    Lachlan Coote-Sounds like he is going to roosters but wouldn't be to bad a 5/8 IMO has a great kicking game
    Api Koroisau-Easily our best player this year and if he continues his form he is a great option at 5/8 long term

• Like Like x 1
  2. madmax

madmax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +569 / 63
    Api definitely..........imagine a spine of STEWART (TT), DCE, API & PARCELL!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rodo

Rodo Goldmember 2016 Tipping Competitor

Southern Sydney
    Ratings:
    +484 / 14
  4. Mystery Growler

Mystery Growler Member

Balgowlah
    Ratings:
    +30 / 2
    Still way to early to make the call. He hasn't exactly been blessed with good early ball this season mainly due to DCE being out. I would wait till he's back b4 judgment. I believe Killer has earnt a little form slump.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1
  5. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 26
    Hopefully he is allowed to make the call himself.

Hopefully he makes the right call.

Hopefully we have a quality replacement if he does decide to go.

I'm full of hope.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ricardo

ricardo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 69
    Jamie has stated his intention to play through to the end of next year at least. So if he does step down it will be from a tap on the shoulder.

I back the bloke to bounce back from what is obviously a form slump and guide his side to the finals series. Top 8 is as much as we can hope for this season I believe.

7. Fibro Eagle

Fibro Eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +721 / 30
    Lyon should and will make the call when he is ready .He is our premiership winning captain and deserves to go out on his terms
    He is still a class player with plenty of experience (you mentioned Lyon missed 5 tackles so did Api )
    Maybe i'm too loyal to our great players but the long time players at this club that has brought success shouldn't be just moved on . It was tuff to see Gift moved on we could have got one more season from him and i think Lyon and B Stewart deserve that
    Manly bought some young players in to fill these voids when the time comes
    Success comes when you build a team not just going out and buying year after year

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    One more year for jamie. Move stewart on first. Api is playing well but isnt the messiah. Him shining is at the expense of the outside backs as both he and walker are hogging it too much.

Our backs are not deep enough and this is because our halves dictate that. Api plays at the line a bit like kimmorley used to. Its nice close to the line but no where else.
    The lack of depth is part of the reason they are hogging it as the outside men are covered so they dont send a hospital pass

Api is doing really well playing out of positin but he is not the long term answer, but he deserves credit for filling in so well and would have been awesome filling in for parcell if dce had of been fit.he will become the bench man instead of brown

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,405 / 43
    for me Api would do as a fill in 5/8 before Tom Wright moves into that position ... IF Killer decides its time ... in the mean time if one of our centres is injured I would love to see Api tried at 5/8 and Dylan Walker shreddinig in the centres

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    I wonder if all the posters who are happy to call for players to be "moved on" are the same that dislike the lack of loyalty in the game?

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1
  11. hozza

hozza Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 11
    After watching Manly for 30 yrs Lyon will go down as one of the great all time centres for Manly ( certainly one of my favourites). But the time is coming for a decision to be made. His footy mind is top notch but unfortunately his body is slowing down, as it does for everyone. Personally I feel this should be his last , there is nothing worse than seeing a champion at any sport hold on to long. But as a poster has already stated he does deserve to go out on his own terms.
    Very tough situation for everyone involved. Just hope the decision made is one that everyone is happy with..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,402 / 257
    Lyon may want to play on but if Bozo thinks he's done it won't be at Manly. So it goes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    We should remember him as a champion. I think if he plays on next year in the centres then it could tarnish his reputation. However, if he moved to 5/8 and did more scheming, ball distribution and kicking in general play then he would prolong his glorious career.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. hozza

hozza Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 11
    Couldn't agree more

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mal Cochrane

Mal Cochrane I'm not really Mal Cochrane...

Ratings:
    +434 / 4
    also agree. I'd wait until June July before making a decision, but perhaps at 5/8 where he doesn't have to deal with young speedsters with more space out in the centres.

16. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    Until yesterday I would have left it to him to make the call. However when he considers himself to be a Golfer who plays a bit of footy then I do wonder about his motivation.

17. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,344 / 111
    Snake, Matai Killer, none of them will be here in three years. Ho we handle that transition will be massive imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 63
    Make that two years.

19. wedgetail eagle

wedgetail eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,723 / 10
    I think I should retire.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Crusher_Cleal

Crusher_Cleal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +555 / 17
    I think his defence gets tested more out wide when there's more space for opposing players to go around him. I'd actually prefer him defending closer to the ruck.

• Agree Agree x 1