Should Lyon retire?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Turbo

Bencher
Watching NRL 360 last night, it's an interesting discussion. I personally think Lyon will retire and needs to, moving him to 5/8 is a stupid idea. His defence can't handle 5/8, he missed 5 tackles in centre! He is past his best and it's time to move him on. Pretty simple what we do to replace him, move walker to centre but then who becomes 5/8? There is a number of options

Blake green-Great organiser, would complement DCE Nicley and would come cheap
Lachlan Coote-Sounds like he is going to roosters but wouldn't be to bad a 5/8 IMO has a great kicking game
Api Koroisau-Easily our best player this year and if he continues his form he is a great option at 5/8 long term

Watching NRL 360 last night, it's an interesting discussion. I personally think Lyon will retire and needs to, moving him to 5/8 is a stupid idea. His defence can't handle 5/8, he missed 5 tackles in centre! He is past his best and it's time to move him on. Pretty simple what we do to replace him, move walker to centre but then who becomes 5/8? There is a number of options

Lachlan Coote-Sounds like he is going to roosters but wouldn't be to bad a 5/8 IMO has a great kicking game
Api Koroisau-Easily our best player this year and if he continues his form he is a great option at 5/8 long term
Api definitely..........imagine a spine of STEWART (TT), DCE, API & PARCELL!!

Hopefully he is allowed to make the call himself.

Hopefully he makes the right call.

Hopefully we have a quality replacement if he does decide to go.

I'm full of hope.

Jamie has stated his intention to play through to the end of next year at least. So if he does step down it will be from a tap on the shoulder.

I back the bloke to bounce back from what is obviously a form slump and guide his side to the finals series. Top 8 is as much as we can hope for this season I believe.

Lyon should and will make the call when he is ready .He is our premiership winning captain and deserves to go out on his terms
He is still a class player with plenty of experience (you mentioned Lyon missed 5 tackles so did Api )
Maybe i'm too loyal to our great players but the long time players at this club that has brought success shouldn't be just moved on . It was tuff to see Gift moved on we could have got one more season from him and i think Lyon and B Stewart deserve that
Manly bought some young players in to fill these voids when the time comes
Success comes when you build a team not just going out and buying year after year

One more year for jamie. Move stewart on first. Api is playing well but isnt the messiah. Him shining is at the expense of the outside backs as both he and walker are hogging it too much.

Our backs are not deep enough and this is because our halves dictate that. Api plays at the line a bit like kimmorley used to. Its nice close to the line but no where else.
The lack of depth is part of the reason they are hogging it as the outside men are covered so they dont send a hospital pass

Api is doing really well playing out of positin but he is not the long term answer, but he deserves credit for filling in so well and would have been awesome filling in for parcell if dce had of been fit.he will become the bench man instead of brown

for me Api would do as a fill in 5/8 before Tom Wright moves into that position ... IF Killer decides its time ... in the mean time if one of our centres is injured I would love to see Api tried at 5/8 and Dylan Walker shreddinig in the centres

After watching Manly for 30 yrs Lyon will go down as one of the great all time centres for Manly ( certainly one of my favourites). But the time is coming for a decision to be made. His footy mind is top notch but unfortunately his body is slowing down, as it does for everyone. Personally I feel this should be his last , there is nothing worse than seeing a champion at any sport hold on to long. But as a poster has already stated he does deserve to go out on his own terms.
Very tough situation for everyone involved. Just hope the decision made is one that everyone is happy with..

also agree. I'd wait until June July before making a decision, but perhaps at 5/8 where he doesn't have to deal with young speedsters with more space out in the centres.

Until yesterday I would have left it to him to make the call. However when he considers himself to be a Golfer who plays a bit of footy then I do wonder about his motivation.

I think his defence gets tested more out wide when there's more space for opposing players to go around him. I'd actually prefer him defending closer to the ruck.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6