Should Lyon retire?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sadly, the new age centre is about speed and size. Killer was part of the old breed where skill and technique was king. Bottom line, based on current form (may change with DCE back) he cannot play on in the centres. His body is unlikely to hold up long term at 5/8. Perhaps the decision may need to be to move him to 5/8 for the remainder of the year and slide Walker to centre. Sadly that would mean tapping him on the shoulder at the end of the season.
Alternatively, leave Api at half, move DCE to 5/8 and slide Walker out to wing to replace Taufua.

Tough call. Heart says no.
But common sense says we shouldn't be letting young guys like Hiku go and still have 2 over the age of 30 centres running out every week.

Wayne Bennett tapped Hodges on the shoulder. He was good enough for another solid year or 2. Bennett thinks about the next 5 - 10 years though.

Pains me to say it, but he was poor last year. Thing is, the club IMO shouldn't ask him to step down, it's extremely disrespectful. Killer has earned the right to make his own choice. Similarly, I think he knows his time has come. But if he decides to play on, basing his decision on putting retirement off, due to the fact that he wants to play on regardless of his form, then that's pretty poor form on his behalf.

Killer's goal kicking is finally in the 80% range. I still think his defence is very strong, he just lacks the pace to get around his man and put the winger though like he did in his prime. Maybe this should be in last season.

He should retire when and if he is good and ready, by his choice.

Agree with your sentiment, but it becomes a hard choice for TB (Bozo) if he says I'll go another year for $500 to $600 Grand. Not a decision I'd like to make.

At least he isn't talking about a 3 year deal, we would have no chance, Parra would snap him up.

You know, I am not surprised that the media have jumped on Lyon right now about his age and perceived drop in form. The media, especially the Sydney media, have had it in for Killer ever since he decided that he didn't want to play rep footy anymore after 2010. They have never forgiven the bloke for not fronting up for NSW in Origin when he was clearly the best centre in the world.

There are some who all but outright blame his no-show in Origin as the reason that NSW have been hopeless lately other than 2014.

I wonder, if Killer had been at any other club than Manly.....would he have copped it from the media for wanting to concentrate on playing club footy?

As for permanently moving Api to half or 5/8 when DCE comes back? Please no. Seriously, he may have won two MoM awards but the reality is that we lost two of the games he's played in the #7 jumper because (in part) he has no idea on 5th tackle options (and to be fair, neither does Walker right now) and his passing game to his outside supports (usually Killer and Tommy) is almost non-existent. Walker is coming along nicely as a running 5/8 (which IIRC is what Baz has said all along that he wants Walker to do), but if we had DCE at half against Souffs and last Thursday against the Speels instead of Api we'd have probably won both.

And for those who point to Killer's 5 missed tackles last week......a 22 year old hooker come halfback named Api Koroisau also happened to miss 5.

Like with Snake, I think with DCE back and playing behind a pack that is at worst matching their opposition, Killer's form will improve.

As to whether Killer should retire? I'll leave that one up to Killer and the club. 2017 might be a year too long, but it might not be either.

Lyon Snake and Matai will all be gone by end of 2017.

Its a tough situation for me unless Lyon is prepared to play 5/8 next year then unfortunately this year will be his last season.

In regards to Matai he is busted he cant handle 80min each week anymore and B Stewart hammies and knee issues have caught up with him he is way past his best also but both are contracted until end of 2017. (Do they do a Ballin with them also ??)

No one was talking about Jason King whether he should go another year or not he was busted and past his best and retired at the right time.

What I loved about our club compared to other clubs is we had so many players that were 8-9 year plus players in the same side for so long E.g Stewart Bros, Watmough, Lyon, Matai, Ballin, Kite & Kingy (that's 8 players im sure there is one or 2 more) all in the same side.

I doubt it will ever happen again.

Time for youth now !!

Thing is Manly has Snakes long term fullback set in stone with Trjobovic.
Where it gets tricky, is the fact Walker is a proven gun centre....same time unlike most , I believe in the modern game once he & DCE settle into a combination...will develop into that X factor style 5/8.
Or Is it add Api or maybe in time - Wright who is a stack off top grade, but a massive potential to 5/8, return Walker to centre & then only 1 centre is required...& just go for more trivia on Wright....yes needs to show his stuff, but also has a background at centre....young Ramian also shows potential...looking inside rather than outside the box first up.

Personally I don't believe that anyone has the right to call it quits whenever they feel it's right, but having said that you give some people more leeway than others and Killer is definitely one you think longer and harder about than most.

This is a tough one, Killer is all class and over the last 10 years has been the prototype of a what makes a great centre. Great tackler, puts his winger away, lovely little kicks and just reads the game beautifully. However the modern game seems to be speed speed and then a little more speed. But then it's a team game, is he being exposed because other areas are being exposed? I really don't know.

The reality in any sport is that once you hit a certain age and you have a form slump (really evident in sports like league and cricket) it can be fatal. To me a lot is about desire, does Jamie want to be there and really want to bust his nuts to be there? I hope so.

I think he still has a lot to offer, I think the loss of Skivvy, Snake and Killer over the next whatever is going to be huge, (on top of recent losses of King, Kitey, Ballin and Gifty) and I don't want us to throw away the old brigade without some transition. I'd like to think that their leadership is crucial for The Turbos, Parcell etc.

G'day all, There was an article earlier in the year where Bozo criticised previous management for not staggering the contracts of DCE and Foran so you didn't have them coming off contract at the same time.If last years bloodletting had not been so much about revenge and payback he would surely have advised that we faced the prospect of all three of Brett Jamie and Steve finishing together and perhaps it would of been better to cut at least one of them then and have kept at least one of Hiku or Gutherson to soften the transition.
cheers mike

Y
G'day all, There was an article earlier in the year where Bozo criticised previous management for not staggering the contracts of DCE and Foran so you didn't have them coming off contract at the same time.If last years bloodletting had not been so much about revenge and payback he would surely have advised that we faced the prospect of all three of Brett Jamie and Steve finishing together and perhaps it would of been better to cut at least one of them then and have kept at least one of Hiku or Gutherson to soften the transition.
cheers mike

Yes I agree. It will be difficult to replace 3 club legends at the same time.

cheers mike

Mike, the difference is that with Foran/DCE we had to stump up the cash to keep them.

With Snake/Matai/Lyon leaving we have a full piggy bank to replace them and aforeknowledge to find the players we want. I would be surprised if at least on replacement hasn't already agreed terms.

Picture your missus with a no limit credit card for the day.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6