Sharks trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Who would be first up as a wing replacement right now? Williame or Buck Lavaka?
Personally I thought Lavaka looked the goods today (he didn't impress me at the 9's)...he bagged a double and ran hard with the ball. In saying that, Williame was very strong as well. Goodall looks a fraction slow to me.

vave, williame and leary were the standouts for mine.. thought lussick was pretty average... wouldn't be picking him for an automatic start up over starling, bj, vave. Forwards were pretty solid today.. Backline looked like it was lacking direction although i thought Moltzen showed some promising signs when he was on. Looking forward to next week.

vave, williame and leary were the standouts for mine.. thought lussick was pretty average... wouldn't be picking him for an automatic start up over starling, bj, vave. Forwards were pretty solid today.. Backline looked like it was lacking direction although i thought Moltzen showed some promising signs when he was on. Looking forward to next week.
Agree. Thought Vave was best on field for us. Williams was very good, I actually thought with the exception of Satini the outside backs were all good. Moltzen was our best half by a long way. Not surprisingly the majority of tries came early and then late when Moltzen was out there. Even the commentators noted how few points we scored and the lack of much enterprise considering how much ball we had inside their 20. Defence in the middle was a bit of a worry given most of their tries came through the middle. Decent hit out for the back ups overall.

Our spine surprised the hell out of me. If any one person controlled our game it was probably Hugh Pratt?

IMO in order.

Hynes
Pratt
Williame
Vave
Lawrence
Moltzen
Satini
Lavaka

I am probably not giving our back row the credit they deserve but Tred and Leary should be a level above this group.

So "star studded sharks shocked by manly reserve grade" headlines?
Classic. From news:
Quote:
CRONULLA’S new-look spine has showed signs of promise, combining well in their 24-all draw against Manly on Sunday.

Halves James Maloney led the pack with a strong kicking game, while Chad Townsend combined with new fullback Jack Bird to put the custodian over for a try.

Bird was overall impressive in his first outing in the no.1, scoring a try and saving another by putting his body on the line in a tackle on Brenton Lawrence.

As much as I like Taufua, I think he is on the mend from surgery right now? I feel we have others ahead of him, at this point in time. That may not be the case in 4 or 6 weeks time. But If selections are based on form, Williame deserves first crack at wing with Tommy T. And from where Williame was last year, I can not give him more praise. Two weekends in a row now he has played against a graders and looked a class above. I hope Trent gives him a go.

Telegraph:
JAMES Maloney recovered from a horror start in his first match for Cronulla to steer the Sharks to a 24-24 draw in an NRL trial match against Manly on Sunday.

In just the third minute in hot conditions at Shark Park, Maloney threw an intercept pass for Fabian Goodall who raced 30 metres to get Manly on the scoreboard.

The Sharks five-eighth, who moved from the Sydney Roosters in the off-season, bounced back to help his side to an 18-10 half-time lead before being given an early shower

Maloney’s kicking game was outstanding and he combined well with new halves partner Chad Townsend - who has returned to the club after a stint with the Warriors - and fullback Jack Bird.

The Sharks got their first points when Sam Tagatese powered over from short range. Tagatese was among the Sharks’ best, making two first-half breaks - the second of which led to a Bird try.

Bird had a mixed audition for the No.1 jumper - he was beaten badly by Brayden Wiliame in the lead-up to the Sea Eagles fullback’s try however made up for it when he did well to hold up prop Brenton Lawrence early in the second half.
He also came up with a massive blunder when he spilled a bomb in the in-goal but dodged a bullet when he managed to ground it with the Sea Eagles chasers closing in on him.

The Sea Eagles hit the front through Daniel Vasek and Halauafu Lavaka for a 20-18 lead to Manly only for Valentine Holmes, who was shifted to fullback for Cronulla in the second half, to punch through a hole and score under the posts and put his side ahead again.

However Lavaka got his double with 90 seconds on the clock to level the scores but hooker Hugh Pratt missed the sideline conversion.

Telegraph:
JAMES Maloney recovered from a horror start in his first match for Cronulla to steer the Sharks to a 24-24 draw in an NRL trial match against Manly on Sunday.

In just the third minute in hot conditions at Shark Park, Maloney threw an intercept pass for Fabian Goodall who raced 30 metres to get Manly on the scoreboard.

The Sharks five-eighth, who moved from the Sydney Roosters in the off-season, bounced back to help his side to an 18-10 half-time lead before being given an early shower

Maloney’s kicking game was outstanding and he combined well with new halves partner Chad Townsend - who has returned to the club after a stint with the Warriors - and fullback Jack Bird.

The Sharks got their first points when Sam Tagatese powered over from short range. Tagatese was among the Sharks’ best, making two first-half breaks - the second of which led to a Bird try.

Bird had a mixed audition for the No.1 jumper - he was beaten badly by Brayden Wiliame in the lead-up to the Sea Eagles fullback’s try however made up for it when he did well to hold up prop Brenton Lawrence early in the second half.
He also came up with a massive blunder when he spilled a bomb in the in-goal but dodged a bullet when he managed to ground it with the Sea Eagles chasers closing in on him.

The Sea Eagles hit the front through Daniel Vasek and Halauafu Lavaka for a 20-18 lead to Manly only for Valentine Holmes, who was shifted to fullback for Cronulla in the second half, to punch through a hole and score under the posts and put his side ahead again.

However Lavaka got his double with 90 seconds on the clock to level the scores but hooker Hugh Pratt missed the sideline conversion.
I suppose if the Sharks put on a feed and piiss for the journos and PR as well as it looked like their PR team had set up the days activities and live streaming, as a Tele journo I'd be piissing in their pocket too. Credit where it's due.

Just remember that Jorge was ruled out of the Nines with a hamstring injury just over a week ago. He probably wasn't 100%, the strapping on his left hammy said that much.

Another long year for the sharks

It is a pity most of our players today will suddenly lose form when they play NSW cup with willo in charge yet again

Nothing surer that Lussick will be in Fg against the dogs

Cool mate nothing against anybody with constructive comments or a positive opinion-it's the constant rubbish ing of the second tier younger players and pot shots at Barrett. After all it's a Manly forum-just thought maybe some of the narks might pull their head in.
Williame did some great cover tackles in the 9's and carried the ball solidly. He may have been ordinary first season, but I think we should be supporting him. Barrett has done nothing wrong, and seems very professional. It's gonna be a great year ;)
Sorry mate. I was never trying to rubbish Barrett. My post was only tongue on cheek. I thought that was pretty obvious after what Loobs posted and the exclamation mark I put at the end of the sentence. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Personally I hope Barrett has a great first season and leads Manly to a premiership win. And if he doesn't do well then I will still support him.

Telegraph:

did rothfield write this dribble?

I really wouldn't read much into yesterdays game as it was basically just a hit out. According to the commentators on the Shark's live stream we had 11 regular first graders missing, the Sharks had 9 so its pretty obvious that barring injuries, neither team will line up like that come the opening round of the competition.

The fact that there were no injuries to report was a bonus. The biggest worry out of the weekend is if the Manly factor will come back to haunt Taupau's tackle in the All Star Game.

I find it laughable that Taupau might have to face the judiciary over that tackle which caused no damage whatsoever, yet last week Hurrell received nothing more than a slap on the wrist warning (his 3rd in 12 months) about lifting his knees when being tackled, but basically got away with knocking a player out with that action despite having been suspended for that same action when he broke Tupou's jaw last season.

One was a tackle that barely went past horizontal by a player with a clean record, the other was an action for which that player is becoming a serial offender. Yet its the player with the clean record who is facing the possibility of a suspension. Either there IS a Manly factor, or it just shows how screwed up the NRL have their reporting and judicial system.

Last edited:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8