Sea Eagles vs Bulldogs - Team Line-ups and Game day chat and updates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sea Eagles vs Bulldogs - Team Line-up

22/04/2008 - By Manly Sea Eagles

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?newsid=3079&Mth=4&Yr=2008

Sea Eagles Coach Des Hasler has stuck with a similar line-up to last week however a number of players are still recovering from Injury.  Notable omission is Steve Menzies who will be out for at least 2 weeks

SEA EAGLES NRL TEAM: Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Steve Bell, Jamie Lyon, Michael Bani, Steve Matai, Matt Orford ©, Jason King, Matt Ballin, Brent Kite, Adam Cuthbertson, Glenn Stewart, Luke Williamson
Interchange: Josh Perry, Glenn Hall, Jack Afamasaga, Mark Bryant, Heath L'Estrange, Vic Mauro (2 players to be omitted)
Coach: Des Hasler

Manly Toyota Cup Team: Rhys Wolloghan, Trent Reilly, Mark Page, Matt Grieve, Bodie O’Connell, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Inoke Tapaatoutai, Jamie Buhrer (c), Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Darcy Lussick, Todd Wilson, Ilija Radan
Interchange: Jai Jones-Wiegold, Kenny Edwards, Tim McDonald, Cameron Woo, Ben Uptin, Lincoln Gutherson, John Grey
Coach: David Penna

Manly NSW Cup: David Williams, Sean Meaney, Shane Neumann, James Mortimer, Gideon Mzembe, Nick Bradley-Qalilawa, Jeff Robson (c), Chris Trembath, Ray Nasso, Phil Morwood, Jon Grieve, Mark Offerdahl, Jason Wells
Interchange: Trent Rose, Andrew Everingham, Tim Browne, Dean Connell, Junior Palau
Coach: Craig Sandercock

Re: Sea Eagles vs Bulldogs - Team Line-up

MAN v BUL
Tony Archer
Sideline: G Sutton, M Jones
Video: Clark

Matai at 5/8 is a good thing...... I think  :-\. Obviously forced on Des by Beaver's injury, but I guess there is no guarantee he won't start Willo there anyway.

It's a risk, but if it works even remotely it could solve our problems in the short term. His defensive lapses are the worry, but i think it will be less tempting for him to rush out of the line if he is closer to the ruck as he won't have the time to see the opportunity building. Also it may be easy to tidy up his misdemeanours if the cover is closer to him. I guarantee he'll put the frighteners on Roberts and Holdsworth.

In attack his brief should be to get the ball out to Lyon or Stewart without effin around with it. I don't think anyone expects him to be the next Cliffy, but I reckon he may have a trick or two up his sleeve. I just hope they don't fall into the trap of a game plan that doesn't give him a chance as an alternative to Orford, and Orford just becomes a obvious target as the only go to man........as has happened in the first few rounds.

Can the man kick ??

Well fingers crossed that it is a successful experiment, I think it is definitely worth a go.

Matai is far less likely to make bad defensive reads at 5/8 rather than playing in the centres. The decision making process in defence is much quicker at 5/8 and as C&C says this will give him less time to think and he will make intuitive decisions. We need a 5/8 and there is no else in this years lineup that is looking likely to fill that role. It is something that has to be tried, lets hope it comes up trumps.

As for kicking he was taking some shots at goal in a match about 2 years ago so it is reasonable to assume he has some ability in that area, how much ability may well be a topic of conversation at around 7:30pm this coming Saturday.

MANLY v BULDOGS
Tony Archer

Sideline: G Sutton, M Jones
Video: Clark

Archer has reffed Manly v Dogs on 1 occasion with the Dogs the winners

30kccy8.jpg

2e4lvtj.jpg

6izc0j.jpg

http://203.166.101.37/NRL08/index.html

He played No 6 when he first came to Australia I think , I am sure I read he played a bit there in the Qld Cup.  Not NRL quality I know but he does have some experience in the position.

Overall Head-to-head Records
Played 107; Manly 56, Bulldogs 46, Drawn 5

Head-to-head at Brookvale Oval
Played 49; Manly 30, Bulldogs 16, Drawn 3

Record Crowd these Clubs (Excludes Finals)

25771 at ANZ Stadium, 11/4/2004 (Rd 5), Bulldogs Won 28 - 26

Last 10 Games Head-to-head: Played 10; Bulldogs 6, Manly 4

Won By Score Venue Date
Bulldogs 27 - 8 Brookvale Oval 22/6/2007 (Rd 15)
Manly 16 - 14 ANZ Stadium 14/4/2007 (Rd 5)
Manly 21 - 20 Brookvale Oval 25/8/2006 (Rd 25)
Manly 40 - 14 ANZ Stadium 23/4/2006 (Rd 7)
Bulldogs 31 - 12 Brookvale Oval 26/6/2005 (Rd 16)
Manly 18 - 10 ANZ Stadium 14/5/2005 (Rd 10)
Bulldogs 50 - 32 Brookvale Oval 4/7/2004 (Rd 17)
Bulldogs 28 - 26 ANZ Stadium 11/4/2004 (Rd 5)
Bulldogs 56 - 24 Brookvale Oval 17/8/2003 (Rd 23)
Bulldogs 34 - 20 Sydney Showground (Homebush) 15/6/2003 (Rd 14)

Biggest Head-to-head Wins
Manly 45 - 7 Brookvale Oval 24/7/1954 (Rd 14)
Bulldogs 56 - 24 Brookvale Oval 17/8/2003 (Rd 23)

Most Tries in a Match Head-to-head
4 P Blake (Manly) Manly Won 36 - 2 (Rd 3, 1983)
3 A Ryan (Bulldogs) Bulldogs Won 50 - 32 (Rd 17, 2004)

Most Goals in a Match Head-to-head
9 H El Masri (Bulldogs) Bulldogs Won 50 - 32 (Rd 17, 2004)
9 R Rowles (Manly) Manly Won 45 - 7 (Rd 14, 1954)

Most Points in a Match Head-to-head
30 R Rowles (Manly)(4T, 9G, 0FG) Manly Won 45 - 7 (Rd 14, 1954)
22 H El Masri (Bulldogs)(1T, 9G, 0FG) Bulldogs Won 50 - 32 (Rd 17, 2004)

Bani confident of playing Bulldogs

April 22, 2008
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23581582-23214,00.html

HIS neck is still sore and headaches are persisting, but Manly winger Michael Bani is confident he can overcome his "scary" injury to play the Bulldogs this Saturday.

The Thursday Island-born 23-year-old was carried from Parramatta Stadium last Friday with concussion and a suspected fractured neck after a heavy collision left him with a tingling sensation down his arms.

He was cleared of spinal damage after x-ray, CT and MRI scans at Westmead Hospital in the early hours of Saturday morning and is now plotting an immediate return to playing.

"I'm pretty confident, the tests results came back normal so that is great news," he said.

"It was a bit scary 'cause I started feeling tingling and stuff down my arm ... they were concerned about my neck but I wasn't really scared or thinking it could be worse-case scenario but it was still quite a scare.

"When I rang mum and that at 3 o'clock in the morning they were still awake and really concerned about my health.

"Yeah it's still hurting a bit and I'm getting headaches and stuff but I should be right this weekend."

Bani's confidence is sure to ease the concerns of coach Des Hasler, who is battling to cobble together a fit team with almost half his regular squad injured.

Five-eighth Steve Menzies (hamstring) is out, forward Mark Bryant (ankle) is only a 50-50 chance of playing while Matt Orford (shoulder), Jason King (leg), Luke Williamson (concussion) and Steve Matai (shoulder) will carry injuries into the clash.

Surprisingly Hasler named Kiwi Test centre Matai at five-eighth and not Jamie Lyon, the man brought to the club last year to become their permanent No.6.

Backrower Anthony Watmough (ankle) had been ruled out for four weeks but will try to persuade Hasler and medical staff he can play the Dogs, although he is more likely to miss this week and return after the bye in round nine.

"I'm trying to convince everyone (I can play). Personally I know if I played I could handle the little bit of pain that I would be in but it's only early in the season," Watmough said.

"We just want to get it right so it doesn't get any worse.

"I will be back 100 per cent at least after the bye."

Hasler meanwhile says he will discuss his side's worrying penalty count with referees' boss Robert Finch this week.

The Eagles were on the wrong side of a 7-1 count in their brave win over Parramatta last week and also conceded penalties at crucial times against Melbourne a week prior.

"It's probably where the penalties are given and how they are given that I will talk to the referees' director Mr Finch about," said Hasler.

AAP

Mayer invited to take on Bulldogs

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/mayer-invited-to-take-on-bulldogs-47112

Canterbury CEO Todd Greenberg has challenged Manly counterpart Grant Mayer to run at his forwards after the Sea Eagles boss suggested the Dogs aren't as tough as they used to be.

Mayer set the scene for an explosive clash between the clubs at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night by labelling Canterbury's reputation for toughness 'a myth'.

Asked if Canterbury's pack was still intimidating following the loss of Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley, Mayer replied: "I don't think so. I think that's a bit of a myth now."

"I think there are clubs likes ours which are just as strong defensively as the Bulldogs."

"I look forward to a really physical encounter on Saturday and I'd say Manly by 10."

Greenberg was bemused by Mayer's comments, offering the Sea Eagles CEO the chance to test the Dogs' toughness for himself.

"It's a big call. I'd like to see Grant pull on a jersey and run into the likes of Sonny Bill Williams and Andrew Ryan," Greenberg said.

"We are still respected as being a tough, uncompromising pack of forwards - that's how the club has been built and that's not a myth."

"He (Mayer) must have a short memory given the touch up our forward pack gave them last year."

"I think Manly have a quality side but we won't go there with any issues of playing at 'Fortress Brookie.'"

"We've had some good results there the last few years and will again go in confident.''

Manly forwards Jason King and Anthony Watmough were surprised to hear their boss had questioned the Dogs' physicality.

Both now fear a backlash against the only team to beat them at home last year.

"I don't think any team is soft this year. Anyone on their day is capable (of) anything - I don't think there is one stand-out," Watmough said.

"They've still got Sonny Bill and a couple of big boppas up front and they'll do a good job for them like they have all season."

"If they turn up and we don't, they are going to put a big score on us."

King added: "They've still got a really strong forward pack so we won't be under-estimating them."

Matai at 5/8 hmmm... This will be interesting. Will he have the patients not to make stupid decisions? Hope not

Matai's hit at six

Jason Avedissian

23 April 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/04/23/9805_sports.html

MANLY'S on-going search for a five-eighth continued last night with New Zealand Test centre Steve Matai surprisingly named in the No. 6 jumper.

As the Sea Eagles officially distanced themselves from Wigan pivot Trent Barrett, the search for a long-term solution to Cliffy Lyons' vacant jersey continued overnight.

Numbers gained by NRL Stats last night reveal Matai is the 20th player since Lyons retired in 1999 to be picked at five-eighth in the maroon and white jumper.

Matai was stunned yesterday when told by the Daily he would be wearing the No 6 jumper on Saturday night against the Bulldogs.

"Are you serious ... that's news to me," Matai said when told of coach Des Hasler's selection.

"I haven't heard anything about that."

Asked if he has played five-eighth before, Matai said:

"Back home when I was younger, but not for ages."

Lyons said he was surprised to hear Matai would be calling the shots on Saturday.

"It's strange," Lyons said.

"It's probably just Dessie playing mind games.

"But, they've just got to keep trying, I suppose."

The selection confirms Manly's inability to replace the great one at five-eighth.

"There's always someone out there, they've just got to find them," Lyons said.

Mayer yesterday poured cold water over suggestions Barrett would be lured to Brookvale from Wigan.

Mayer also said the Sea Eagles will not throw massive amounts of money at players after missing out on Roosters forward Anthony Tupou.

"There are a lot of clubs paying a lot of money for these players," Mayer said.

"We're at a stage where we don't need to over pay players to come here - we're a stand alone product.

"We can sit back, see what's in the market place and make the right decision for the club."

So, no Barrett either?
I don't know about the sitting back theory. Kind of disappoints me a tad to be honest coming from Grant. He always seemed very pro-active.

It's just not like him in my opinion.

Matai was stunned yesterday when told by the Daily he would be wearing the No 6 jumper on Saturday night against the Bulldogs.

"Are you serious ... that's news to me," Matai said when told of coach Des Hasler's selection.

"I haven't heard anything about that."

This makes me believe that Des is playing games, if he was serious about giving Matai a run at 5/8 then you think he would have at least sounded him out about the idea. It's a shame really because I thought it would be worth a shot, just to see how he went.

Either that, or Matai is in on the "let's mess with the Bulldogs heads" game.

Would you recruit Steve Matai in a psychological battle of any sort? :)

Chip & Chase link said:

\"Are you serious ... that's news to me,\" Matai said when told of coach Des Hasler's selection.

\"I haven't heard anything about that.\"

This makes me believe that Des is playing games, if he was serious about giving Matai a run at 5/8 then you think he would have at least sounded him out about the idea. It's a shame really because I thought it would be worth a shot, just to see how he went.

Either that, or Matai is in on the \"let's mess with the Bulldogs heads\" game.

Or there is a serious communication issue with the club.

Chip & Chase link said:
Either that, or Matai is in on the \"let's mess with the Bulldogs heads\" game.

I disagree, I am with Ryan on this one - des has probably forgotten to tell the team what positions they are playing this weekend  :eek: :p

Since when did a Tuesday night team for Big League ever resemble a run on team. Last weekend Perry started with 14 on his back, Cuthbo was on the bench with 11, Willo did not start despite being picked at 6 and Lyon played pivot with 4. Matai was not even named in the team. All speculation!

Saw it Stevie but soem people are just not worth wasting my time on.

I don't really have the patience to deal with mental pygmies such as KKK Byso.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8