[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
If not Des, then who?
I really can't stand the thought of Flanagan.
Who are the assistants to Bellamy and Robinson? They seem to be well trained.
Is Steven Hales a possibility?
Genuine questions. No need to blast away 😉😳🙃
I have no idea who it should be Budgie but one thing's for sure, we desperately need a change of coach, without Turbo's superhuman effort last year we probably don't even make the 8 let alone the top 4, in my opinion we've already wasted enough years on Hasler, another 2 as has been suggested is only prolonging the pain, I'd be prepared to give any of the above a crack as long as they have an understanding of the modern game, unfortunately Hasler doesn't seem to have a clue and I don't see him developing an understanding between now and next March

Looks like some of the lessons from Paul Green’s death bypassed the responsible journalist, along with Max Krilich, and whoever is behind all this (wonder who that could be;)).

Green was hounded out of his job at NQ and then the whispers were loud last year during the SOO series.

Look where it led.

Thanks for your service to rugba league and plumbing Max, but now it’s time to pipe down.

Said it in another thread but will say it here.

Agree that this year has been a worry however considering we were within a game of the GF last year and the distributed nature of this year I can not get my head around the calls for change. In my view, Des has earnt at least the first 6 games of next year (at a min) before we make changes.

Said it in another thread but will say it here.

Agree that this year has been a worry however considering we were within a game of the GF last year and the distributed nature of this year I can not get my head around the calls for change. In my view, Des has earnt at least the first 6 games of next year (at a min) before we make changes.

The five / six years of Des .400 win % doesn't sway you?
The 1 win in 2.5 years against a top 4 team doesn't?
The 2 wins in a full season against a top 8 team doesn't?
The 2nd worst defensive streak in the history of the game over 20 games doesn't?
Equaling the clubs ever worst loss streak already, and possibly beating that now doesn't?
The making the finals 2 from 5 years after this year doesn't?
The player exodus and behavioral issues don't?
Des insistence that a failing Crusher remain recruiter after failing all KPI's doesn't?
Des not speaking to anyone in reserve grade (Segayaro) about expectations doesn't?
Des not speaking to the group about jerseys / gang signs, suggesting the NRL should, doesn't?

It's the next 6 games, that makes the difference?

The 2nd worst defensive streak in the history of the game over 20 games doesn't?
Equaling the clubs ever worst loss streak already, and possibly beating that now doesn't?
Des insistence that a failing Crusher remain recruiter after failing all KPI's doesn't?

We could become like Canberra .... they love Cranky Coach there ... got a job for life ...

Got flogged ... doesn't matter
Didn't make the semi's .. doesn't matter ,,
been coaching for 20 years without a Premiership ... doesn't matter

Because ... they love Cranky Coach ..

Des not speaking to anyone in reserve grade (Segayaro) about expectations doesn't?

You were presenting a very good argument but let yourself by not including the other half of the recruitment crew.The person who didn’t do a character assessment of the players who have caused such problems of recent times

You were presenting a very good argument but let yourself by not including the other half of the recruitment crew.The person who didn’t do a character assessment of the players who have caused such problems of recent times

Get what you're saying mate, but I was referring to this mainly in that subject:

A section of Michael Chammas' deep dive into the Bulldogs has caused a considerable stir at Manly. It surrounds the role of former Sea Eagles great Noel "Crusher" Cleal. He is responsible for recruiting and identifying talent, but when he was at the dogs, then chair Ray Dib, singled him out when discussing the loss of faith in CEO Raelene Castle and her judgement when it came to then coach Des Hasler.

"She wanted to extend Des 22 months out from his contract end date," Dib said. "She also wanted to extend Cleal's contract when it was clear to all of us he was struggling to develop any players into first graders. He didn't reach any of his KPIs in four years. Des begged me to keep Cleal on board and Raelene backed him, but the board had lost trust in her judgement by then."

There are Manly elements also questioning Cleal. His colleague, Scott Fulton, has either discovered or recruited the majority of their top-30 players. I've been told Cleal's big move was getting Andrew Davey. He's whole hearted but not a big player in the Manly machine.

It's hard to say Max put a word out of place.

Isn't MAX putting the spot lights on Penn just as much as DES? Given non of this would have happened back in Arkos day?

So who was our CEO prior to rainbowgate? Ohh that's right we didn't have one.

A professionally run business needs governance.

After Barrett and chairgate, Penn doing things on the cheap is far from a foreign concept. It's our owner that sees us back in the basket case club category.

DES saying the club is sorry, over and over doesn't remove that this is half on PENNS head, and he didn't even show up to make his own appology.

Half on PENNS head, because Max is right. Team was poor before rainbowgate against the dragons. Our structures look out dated.

Rainbowgate is a reflection that the club has fractures. But it's not the cause.

Get what you're saying mate, but I was referring to this mainly in that subject:

A section of Michael Chammas' deep dive into the Bulldogs has caused a considerable stir at Manly. It surrounds the role of former Sea Eagles great Noel "Crusher" Cleal. He is responsible for recruiting and identifying talent, but when he was at the dogs, then chair Ray Dib, singled him out when discussing the loss of faith in CEO Raelene Castle and her judgement when it came to then coach Des Hasler.

"She wanted to extend Des 22 months out from his contract end date," Dib said. "She also wanted to extend Cleal's contract when it was clear to all of us he was struggling to develop any players into first graders. He didn't reach any of his KPIs in four years. Des begged me to keep Cleal on board and Raelene backed him, but the board had lost trust in her judgement by then."

There are Manly elements also questioning Cleal. His colleague, Scott Fulton, has either discovered or recruited the majority of their top-30 players. I've been told Cleal's big move was getting Andrew Davey. He's whole hearted but not a big player in the Manly machine.
Yeah I’m not really sure what Cleal’s input has been and obviously he had issues at the Dogs but how much say do you reckon he’d be getting at Manly given the last name of the other recruiter and how much favourable press does said recruiter get as opposed to Cleal?

Yeah I’m not really sure what Cleal’s input has been and obviously he had issues at the Dogs but how much say do you reckon he’d be getting at Manly given the last name of the other recruiter and how much favourable press does said recruiter get as opposed to Cleal?
Yeah I think Noel has other business interests and he is only a part time member of staff.
Does some work behind the scences mentoring players and helps out in other areas as well.

I've been thinking about this whole idea of Manly needing a Manly coach. "We need someone that understands the place/and or has played for the club" I hear/read often.

Then they point to Bob Fulton and Des Hasler as examples of confirming that given their premiership success. Contrasting that is that Peter Sharp and Trent Barrett as non Manly men who have failed miserably also confirm the theory.

Does anybody see what's wrong with this?

1. The sample size is so small
2. Bob Fulton and Des Hasler are some of the greatest coaches the NRL has seen
3. Peter Sharp and Trent Barrett are some of the worst.

To be clear I don't want Des to leave the club entirely and nor do I want him to be replaced by a clearly inferior coach just for the sake of it.

But the team has checked out on Des and that is a massive concern. I get that a Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson isn't going to turn up on our doorstep either for next year. So there is no clear immediate alternative.

But I just hope the club isn't being limited by some thinking that the next coach needs to be a Manly man.

Does anybody seriously think that Manly is an attractive option to coach at right now? There are no outstanding coaches who would even consider coaching at the club at the moment. We are completely dysfunctional as a club, with virtually no redeeming qualities (insert here the current list of Manly negatives). Anybody that thinks we will end up with a better coach than Hasler right now is delusional. We absolutely need to fix things from the inside out rather than the outside in. We are unfortunately stuck with Hasler for 2023, with the prideful seven (most of them anyway), and with all the other baggage of 2022. In my opinion this has been the worst year we have had as a club, since I started supporting Manly. (Circa 1969). It's not just the results over the season so far (9 wins, 13 losses) but the way the club has imploded so publicly, and so embarrassingly.
This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this whole idea of Manly needing a Manly coach. "We need someone that understands the place/and or has played for the club" I hear/read often.

Then they point to Bob Fulton and Des Hasler as examples of confirming that given their premiership success. Contrasting that is that Peter Sharp and Trent Barrett as non Manly men who have failed miserably also confirm the theory.

Does anybody see what's wrong with this?

1. The sample size is so small
2. Bob Fulton and Des Hasler are some of the greatest coaches the NRL has seen
3. Peter Sharp and Trent Barrett are some of the worst.

To be clear I don't want Des to leave the club entirely and nor do I want him to be replaced by a clearly inferior coach just for the sake of it.

But the team has checked out on Des and that is a massive concern. I get that a Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson isn't going to turn up on our doorstep either for next year. So there is no clear immediate alternative.

But I just hope the club isn't being limited by some thinking that the next coach needs to be a Manly man.
40 years of sample side mate as far as coaches who come from the club.
8 coaches - 5 played for the club 3 hadn't.

3 that were outsiders
Lowe 3 seasons 2 finals one poor season
Sharp horrible except 2002
Barrett 2 aweful years 1st week finals knock out

5 manly people
Hasler and Fulton - no need to talk about we all know their records
Tooves - grand final 2013
Ritchie - grand final 1982
Thompson - the worst of the manly peoples record one season didn't make the finals.

unless it was a bellyache, bennett of robinson for mine our coach has to be a manly person.

Exactly. Isz pointed out elsewhere that he thinks the outfit operates without any strong governance oversight. Sounds about right.

How can the football manager know about the jersey, but not the coach? Is the football manager operating out of the CoE, or is he still at Narrabeen? Does he know how to pick up a phone?

Why does a jersey manufacturer have seemingly so much sway over what they wear? Is this peculiar to Manly, or are other clubs in the same boat? If it’s the former, who drafted that contract?

I don’t think Hasler has much say in player negotiations under Penn, given his history at Canterbury. So Hasler might be making recommendations, without making much headway. Then going virtually an entire season without a CEO must inhibit progress on that front.

Replacing Des might give a bit of sugar hit, but it won’t solve the systemic problems that exist at Manly that are holding the club back.

Just another thing too.
Reflecting this whole "time for des to go" narrative in my eyes is driven by two things
1) 4-5 weeks of bad results caused firstly by 3 players going down to covid, jersey ****show and then countless season ending injuries.
2) the media talk around the extension claus of his contract.

Let's talk about it for a second.
As a coach des hasn't lost it, 2019 he took basically the same squad that ran second last in 2018 and got them 2 games (and another crap referring call) away from a gf

2020 in my opinion was far a worst season than this season but it was riddled with injuries and we never really fired post the covid break.

Last year top 4 and one game away from a GF

Now for the most part of this season we were well in the running for the 8 despite losing our best player in round 11. (Anyone remember newcastle in 2004 getting the spoon without Joey for most of the season).

Some persepect on this year. The last two weeks haven't been great at all granted. But it's not like we are in contention for the spoon, hello tigers, newcastle and Gold Coast.

I believe the media talk and the shock of the last two meek efforts has drummed up a lot of emotion not just on here but the entire fan base.

Remember when it all hit the fan over the jerseys Des was left to lead the entire club and face the media storm and do managements job when they went missing. Des has been let down my our management badly.

Knowing haslers work ethic he will leave no stone unturned to ensure we improve and are contending next year. Now some people will say what about 2017 at the dogs where it continued to go down hill for him? My reply is simple this squad has way more talent and strike power than that dogs side. Eg tommy, Jake, daly, kolua and even schu. That dogs side of 2017 had nothing in the halves.

The one thing I do agree with is that he needs some changes in the support staff

The way I would like to that happen is for des and the club to identify who out of Randall or Monas is more likely be able to succeed des as coach and get them to either take over the job at blacktown (or manly nsw cup side) and get some exposure around running their own side week in and week out. Then bring in an experienced assistant someone like toovey, flanno or potter

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8