Rudd Pledges $10 million for Brookvale Upgrade.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
simon_eagle said:
Peter C said:
Fantastic, the country is going down the tube because of the reckless spending of this inept government, we'll be like Greece and Spain in a couple of years, where everything has lost half of it's value and unemployment is at twenty five percent, but hey everything will be OK because you'll have your hi speed connection so you can work occasionally from home, if you still have a job, give me a break.

Wow, you seem like a ton of laughs mate.

Any statistics or actual evidence that Australia is, as you say, "going down the tube"?

Another right-wing alarmist on here. Always unimaginative, often not intelligent.. view the world in black and white. If you believe the NBN only serves a few who can work from home then I suggest you open that mind of yours and think about the possibilities. Streaming doctors and surgeons in real time to rural communities, just as a starter.

Personally, I don't like any politicians.
On your calling some being "right-wing alarmists" because they don't like Kruddy Ruddy and Labor, well..... I think it's justified. Going from a 1996 Labor net debt $96 Billion to a ten budget surplus under Howard and then back to Labor's current $240 Billion plus debt and rising..... yeah, I guess I'm a little concern about our great nation becoming a third world country with hyper inflation, bankruptcy, etc.

I hope people don't treat voting like barracking a footy team.
Just because you have always gone one way, you don't have to keep going the same direction as the Titanic when your lives are concerned.
This is you, your family, and your neighbour's lives we're talking about.

The fact is, Labor can't manage the economy.
It's like what Robbie Farrah said, "losing is a habit" and Labor has been losing our money for years... and unfortunately, they didn't lose it to Manly's coffers.

--

Ramrod said:
simon_eagle said:
Peter C said:
Fantastic, the country is going down the tube because of the reckless spending of this inept government, we'll be like Greece and Spain in a couple of years, where everything has lost half of it's value and unemployment is at twenty five percent, but hey everything will be OK because you'll have your hi speed connection so you can work occasionally from home, if you still have a job, give me a break.

Any statistics or actual evidence that Australia is, as you say, "going down the tube"?

Another right-wing alarmist on here. Always unimaginative, often not intelligent.. view the world in black and white. If you believe the NBN only serves a few who can work from home then I suggest you open that mind of yours and think about the possibilities. Streaming doctors and surgeons in real time to rural communities, just as a starter.

On your calling some being "right-wing alarmists" because they don't like Kruddy Ruddy and Labor, well..... I think it's justified. Going from a 1996 Labor net debt $96 Billion to a ten budget surplus under Howard and then back to Labor's current $240 Billion plus debt and rising..... yeah, I guess I'm a little concern about our great nation becoming a third world country with hyper inflation, bankruptcy, etc.

Just because you have always gone one way, you don't have to keep going the same direction as the Titanic when your lives are concerned.

It's like what Robbie Farrah said, "losing is a habit" and Labor has been losing our money for years... and unfortunately, they didn't lose it to Manly's coffers.

--

We we're the only first world country not pushed into recession by the gfc, under labor due to creative cash giving

Your right,you don't have to vote for the same side,I voted liberal at a state level because nsw labor went full retard,federal labor has made some good choices of late and I'm inclined to give Rudd a go,because his original go was stolen and the alternative is less intellectual than a helper monkey

Astonishing...

Manly need $30m to fix up Brookvale Oval, Labor has pledged $10m

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-need-30m-to-fix-up-brookvale-oval-labor-has-pledged-10m/story-fniabool-1226692381100

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
August 07, 2013 12:00AM

LABOR yesterday gave Manly $10 million - to fix a $30 million, decade-old problem.

Cautious the grant was a pre-election publicity stunt, Manly must now attempt to find another $20 million to build a new grandstand on the eastern side of Brookvale Oval.

And it would seem the state government won't be handing over any money to the Sea Eagles. Manly officials were quietly shocked Labor had pledged the money given that Brookvale is surrounded by blue-ribbon Liberal electorates.

One source said: "We haven't heard from Labor in years. You can tell there is an election looming."

The Sea Eagles have fought long and hard to upgrade a dilapidated Brookvale Oval, Manly's traditional home ground since 1947.

But where will Manly find the extra $20 million needed for a new stand? The state government may loan the club money and Manly still hope Coalition leader Tony Abbott, a local member on Sydney's northern beaches, may stump up much-needed cash to keep Manly at Brookvale.

Asked if he was surprised by Labor's sudden generosity, Manly majority owner Scott Penn said: "We are pleased to have a firm guarantee of funding and we'll be doing everything we can to find the rest."

Pressed on if he was surprised, he said: "Not totally surprised but pleasantly surprised."Penn would not comment on whether the funding was a publicity stunt.

With the new stadia strategy pushing more big matches to Sydney's bigger stadiums, Manly cannot expect a hand-out from the state government.

"I'm always happy to see additional investment in sporting facilities," NSW sports minister Graham Annesley told The Daily Telegraph. "In May I wrote to the former federal sports minister requesting funding for Brookvale Oval to develop its community and multi-purpose use consistent with the NSW Stadia Strategy.

"The Treasurer and I have also been in talks with the Sea Eagles for some time about the type of facilities the state may be able to assist with, either as a direct contribution should funds become available or by way of a low interest government loan."

Manly hope an eastern grandstand would include corporate hospitality, meeting and community facilities.

It would also provide covered seating for 4350 fans.

"Our Brookvale Oval committee has worked tirelessly to create a plan that suits the needs of both the community and the Sea Eagles," Penn said. "This funding will go a long way towards bringing our plans to fruition. This is great news for Sea Eagles members and fans."

Without having formally pledged money for Brookvale, Abbott wants to assist.

He said recently: "I hope I will be in a position to deliver to this club, to this code and to this stadium come September."

cherry_poppins said:
Ramrod said:
simon_eagle said:
Peter C said:

--

We we're the only first world country not pushed into recession by the gfc, under labor due to creative cash giving

Your right,you don't have to vote for the same side,I voted liberal at a state level because nsw labor went full retard,federal labor has made some good choices of late and I'm inclined to give Rudd a go,because his original go was stolen and the alternative is less intellectual than a helper monkey

The only reason why we weren't affected by the GFC was because China (our biggest trading partner) kept us afloat with their GDP being 9.1% in 2008, 8.7% in 2009, 9.9% in 2010, etc. With their growth, they keep buying mining & farm produce from us. Importing their low cost products also kept inflation low. Without them, we would not have done as well. I did 3 unit economics in school.

The person that delivered ten budget surplus, Costello, criticized the unnecessary over-spending that blew our surplus away.

Furthermore, Kevvy wanted to go to war against the country that kept our heads above water during the GFC:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/rudd-the-butt-of-wikileaks-expos-20101205-18lf2.html

The problem is, Kevvy 07 & now Sept 07, (7 was also Hitler's favourite number and also claimed to be 7th member of the DAP), Kevvy is a dangerous egomaniac of a mental case. It just goes to show that, no matter what mental sickness a person has, he can still be PM and popular to some.

--

Errr, Canada wasn't pushed into recession by the gfc.

Just to throw some extra facts into the argument.

Carry on.

This discussion is going nowhere, you say" tomayto", I say "tomarto", leave it at that, there will in all probability be a change of govt, so judge them on performance after three years, not on your ideology.

Reports this morning that good old Albo is planning to give the extra $20M needed for Brookie to the bunnies so they can build a new training facility at Maroubra ...

Ramrod said:
cherry_poppins said:
Ramrod said:
simon_eagle said:
Peter C said:

--

The only reason why we weren't affected by the GFC was because China (our biggest trading partner) kept us afloat with their GDP being 9.1% in 2008, 8.7% in 2009, 9.9% in 2010, etc. With their growth, they keep buying mining & farm produce from us. Importing their low cost products also kept inflation low. Without them, we would not have done as well. I did 3 unit economics in school.

The person that delivered ten budget surplus, Costello, criticized the unnecessary over-spending that blew our surplus away.

Furthermore, Kevvy wanted to go to war against the country that kept our heads above water during the GFC:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/rudd-the-butt-of-wikileaks-expos-20101205-18lf2.html

The problem is, Kevvy 07 & now Sept 07, (7 was also Hitler's favourite number and also claimed to be 7th member of the DAP), Kevvy is a dangerous egomaniac of a mental case. It just goes to show that, no matter what mental sickness a person has, he can still be PM and popular to some.

--

And the only reason we were able to have the mining boom was because of the Hawke/Keating long term policies put in place to allow the economy to grow and take advantage of the chinese industry which was the only thing economically Howard did. Since you are the economics master you would know this already. You would also know that there was a big deficit which in real number equates to approx 2/3 of the current deficit created by the Liberal government the last time they were in power during a recession, thats right, they acted the same way with poorer results.

Clint said:
Hamster Huey said:
It's the use of terms like 'redneck', simply because you don't agree with what a large chunk of people vote for, that gets my goat. It's like the Right calling opposition voters 'leftard'.

We are a great country because we grew up without getting personal about the opinions of others. How does not wanting an ETS make somebody a 'redneck'? How does wanting to find a more compassionate way to process those claiming asylum make you a 'leftard'.

Labelling, all the way up the pole to senior MPs from both sides, is why politics has become poisoned and the crux of details are ignored during debate.

I am surprised that you are offended by the term redneck HH when you have previously posted things like:

The NT NEWS!!! It's influence is limited to barely 100,000 and their abilities to tell the truth always questioned. It is a hick paper in a hick town read by hick readers.

I am struggling to find the difference TBH.

Not offended at all. Just questioning how labelling somebody because of the policies they support/disagree with, makes sense when trying to discussion the pros/cons of it.

The quote is out of context to my response here. Given the NT is a near to 50/50 split politically these days, I fail to see how a broad comment on the culture has any context with each individuals political leanings.

Fluffy said:
CAMBO said:
cherry_poppins said:
Good

I could never in good conscious vote for an imbecile the ilk of Tony Abbott,his plan for an NBN is idiotic and just a waste,i would NEVER EVER use f**king Wifi internet as it doesnt nearly fill my requirements of STABLE internet

Anyone who NEEDS a stable connection for working through to gaming would never use WIFI if making an educated decision

WIFI is the Bear Grylls of internet connections,instead of drinking its own urine however it disconnects when X happens
Kudos to you for another post that totally lacks logic or any sort of analytical thought.
It's people like yourself that have kept these economical illiterate clowns in power for the last 6 distructive years.

How does it have no logic? Because it doesnt agree with you hard right rob the poor to give to the rich ways?

Without quoting the DT tell me how we have had 6 destructive years? Was it:
A. Having the number 1 economy in the western world post GFC up from number 6 prior when things were easy
B. Having record low unemployment
C. Having record low interest rates
D. Having the 3rd lowest debt of any developed country

Not sure how any of you Abbort likers can be posting voting on policies, he has none.

A. We simply slid down the pole slower than other countries due to the surplus the ALP could use to throw money into the economy. Many note that this cash was either banked (by the individual) or spent after the worst had passed (school halls and pink batts).
B. They're not record lows and they are heading north again.
C. Swan said 3% were 'emergency rates'. There is a reason the ALP don't want to connect the latest drop to the future state of the economy which the Reserve Bank stated was 'weakening'.
D. Which way is this debt heading now that we're well out of the GFC? What is the plan and structures to pay it off?

And why is the 'Abbott lacks policy' chant still around. Haven't the ALP been attacking his Broadband, Immigration/Border Protection and Industrial Relations, Paid Parental Scheme, Abolish Carbon/Mining Tax policy announcements over the last few months? So which is it; the LNP have no policies, or we don't like the LNP policies?

Your last line highlights the childish nature of the debate in this country from both sides, driven by slogans, sound bites and misinformation, and eaten up by those unwilling to actually assess the realities and facts.

But don't worry, the parties aren't speaking to you anyway. They want to target people like me that kicked out Howard in 07 when he ran out of ideas, and now have baseball bats ready for a wasteful ALP government that looks more interested in power than serving the broader public.

Hamster Huey said:
Clint said:
Hamster Huey said:
It's the use of terms like 'redneck', simply because you don't agree with what a large chunk of people vote for, that gets my goat. It's like the Right calling opposition voters 'leftard'.

We are a great country because we grew up without getting personal about the opinions of others. How does not wanting an ETS make somebody a 'redneck'? How does wanting to find a more compassionate way to process those claiming asylum make you a 'leftard'.

Labelling, all the way up the pole to senior MPs from both sides, is why politics has become poisoned and the crux of details are ignored during debate.

I am surprised that you are offended by the term redneck HH when you have previously posted things like:

The NT NEWS!!! It's influence is limited to barely 100,000 and their abilities to tell the truth always questioned. It is a hick paper in a hick town read by hick readers.

Not offended at all. Just questioning how labelling somebody because of the policies they support/disagree with, makes sense when trying to discussion the pros/cons of it.

The quote is out of context to my response here. Given the NT is a near to 50/50 split politically these days, I fail to see how a broad comment on the culture has any context with each individuals political leanings.

I've waited for your response to this and I have to say I'm disappointed at the way you justify the comments. Hypocrite is the word that comes to mind.

Kiwi Eagle said:
How did this thread which started off so well turn into a big steaming pile of crap ? :p

Yep, I totally agree. It was a great cause for celebration and discussion that the old girl was on a promise now to get money from either side of the political divide but as usual, whenever politics becomes involved in the discussion, the subject always ends up in a political slanging match and moves away from being rugby league related and so, this thread will be moved to the General Discussion forum.

Wasn't one of the early designs for replicating the Jane Try/Arko Stand on the East, with an upgrade to the F-M Stand? I don't see the point in a piecemeal addition to the Eastern Side, which reduces capacity, if there isn't a concerted effort to fix the entire ground.

Frank said:
Hamster Huey said:
Clint said:
Hamster Huey said:

I've waited for your response to this and I have to say I'm disappointed at the way you justify the comments. Hypocrite is the word that comes to mind.

I'm disappointed that you can't see the difference between describing the general culture of a place (and one I lived in for four years, so it's talking from experience), and the labelling of an individual due to a political opinion expressed. Oh, well.

Fluffy said:
CAMBO said:
cherry_poppins said:
Good

I could never in good conscious vote for an imbecile the ilk of Tony Abbott,his plan for an NBN is idiotic and just a waste,i would NEVER EVER use f**king Wifi internet as it doesnt nearly fill my requirements of STABLE internet

Anyone who NEEDS a stable connection for working through to gaming would never use WIFI if making an educated decision

WIFI is the Bear Grylls of internet connections,instead of drinking its own urine however it disconnects when X happens
Kudos to you for another post that totally lacks logic or any sort of analytical thought.
It's people like yourself that have kept these economical illiterate clowns in power for the last 6 distructive years.

How does it have no logic? Because it doesnt agree with you hard right rob the poor to give to the rich ways?

Without quoting the DT tell me how we have had 6 destructive years? Was it:
A. Having the number 1 economy in the western world post GFC up from number 6 prior when things were easy
B. Having record low unemployment
C. Having record low interest rates
D. Having the 3rd lowest debt of any developed country

Not sure how any of you Abbort likers can be posting voting on policies, he has none.
Ok here goes and this is going to be long.

Firstly gav I do not rely on one source of media for information as I'm fully aware they all have their own agendas so I will list out for you where I get my information from.
Sky news (fairly centred doesn't really favour either party)
Smh - fairfax
Financial Review - fairfax
Daily Telegraph - news ltd and fairly right wing
2gb same as DT
----------------------------------------------------
To answer you first question let look at debt unlike the Howard governement who came to power I'm 1996 inheriting 96 billion of Hawke and Keating debt the current government inherited zero debt and a budget that was in surplus. As a result of these two terms of ALP governments the national debt is going to break the 300 Billion dollar ceiling (source Financial review). So if that's the number 1 I'd hate to see number 2,3 and 4.

To put it in perspective it took the Howard government almost 10 years to payback Hawke and keatings 96 billion black hole so it's going to realistically take 30 plus years to payback gillard and Rudds.

question b
In your question you say we have record unemployment rates that's not entirely correct in July 2007 at the end of the Howard government term unemployment was 4.3% it's now in July 2013 5.7% and rising every month for the last 5 months. Source (Australia buearu of statistics website). Some would say 1.2 percent isn't a great deal its quarter of a million people more who are out of work. It's even worse when you consider the jobs created by the mining boom. Without the mining boom it would be closer to 7% hardly record figures gav.

question c

Yes we do have record low interest rates and they are beneficial to mortgage holders but what about the investor or self funded retiree who relies on that interest for income.

I heard a business owner in the accomadation indusrty on radio yesterday sum it up nicely, he's saving 2000 a year on interest but has lost 100000 in revenue thus year because people aren't not spending money. Why are people not spending money? Would it have anything to do with the soaring utilities prices as a result of the carbon tax we were promised wouldn't happen?

I think I answered question d at the start.

Finally if there isn't enough prove these ecomincal lightweights should be shown the door look at these figures.

Between 2001 and 2007
The Howard government spent 1 billion dollars on the pacific solution that lead to 288 illegal boat people arriving on our shores in 7 years
In 2008 our current Prime Minster dissolved the pacific solution as a result
Since 2008 there has been over 33000 boat people at a cost to tax payers of over 2.3 billion. The Howard governemnt spent half that and managed to stop the boats the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd governments haven't.

MadMarcus said:
Daddycool08 said:
Both sides seem to use the truth with great economy.

There will be no carbon tax.

And for the other side, GST is dead and buried as a political issue. Do you remember who said that? It was Lazarus with a triple by-pass.

The big difference is that Lazarus went to an election before he brought the GST in. He gave the people the opportunity to judge him on his backflip. The people didn't like the GST and he suffered a swing against him, but in the end the people didn't think it was bad enough to see him lose government.

Julia on the other hand simply broke her promise so she could cling on to power arising from an election that she didn't even win. It didn't matter what the people thought about it because they didn't get the chance to judge her at an election. And they never will thanks to Labor's revolving door leader policy, which enjoyed enormous success over the Obeid years and is now the means by which Labor runs the country.

p.s. I don't know why you call him Lazarus. I think Kim Beazley looked more like Glenn Lazarus than Johnny.... :p

Daddycool08 said:
And to Abbott was your last promise to refit Brookvale to the tune of $29 or $30 million in 2007. was it a 'core' or a 'non-core' promise.

I guess we'll never know because the majority of voters were in love with Kevin 07 at that time. Back then it seemed everybody loved Kevin. Now it's more like everybody loves Kevin except for anyone who has met him. Oddly he remains popular with the electorate even though his own party despises him. To me it doesn't seem to be a very strong foundation for a good government though. Surely even the most devout of Labor followers must be at least slightly concerned about that.

Lazzarus with a triple by-pass were John Howards own words when he said that to lead the opposition Liberal party in the 90's for the third time that he wouldn't do it as it would be like "Lazarus with a triple by-pass." Having already done it twice by then. But he did end up leading and eventually winning the prime ministership.

I am just like a lot of other punters out there. I am sick and tired of being lied to. We need a trade practices type legislation to prevent them (all pollies of all sides) from using the truth in the greatest of economy.

If I say I can do something in my business and I don't deliver I may be in breach of the various acts. Further I'd be kicked out of my business association membership.

The Who said:
SeaEagle21 said:
I heard David Perry on the Big Sports Breakfast yesterday morning saying that they expected an announcement on the $10M funding in the near future. Didn't realise it would be as soon as today. He said the main aim was to increase the membership sales and in order to do that would be to add more undercover seats. $10M is no where near enough to fix all the issues but if you can increase membership by another 4K then it is a step in the right direction for the club. Wet Weather has a big effect on the attendance = drop in revenue so they have highlighted the extra undercover seats as a priority even though short term. But i have heard all this stuff before so until it's built it's just talk...

I understand the need for extra undercover seating, so why not an extra deck or two on the existing stands? We may be able to achieve that for $10-m rather than waiting to be funded $30-M for a large eastern grandstand.

Maybe the current stands don't have the capacity (structural) for additions to it? Maybe there are council restrictions?

I don't know what the reasoning would be but i'm sure someone would hence why they are opting for the more $$ option?

simon_eagle said:
Eagles2nv said:
I wonder if this is just k rudd messing with abbott as Tony is a manly supporter. :)

Is he really? I've never seen him down at Brooky. What has he done for his local Club... ever?

BOZO said:
WESTIE said:
If the Labor promise is correct , and is NOT dependant on them winning government, does this now mean Albanese's ar$e doesn't point down anymore ???
Albanese is trying to save his fat ass by making false promises . He has no chance of getting Labor to win the election . If Labor wins the election I will run naked on Brookvale oval balls and all !!! :p

No thanks dick-head. You'll be waiting awhile to see any funding for Brookvale from your private school conservatives on the Right.

Dick head ? (LOL) When your Labor clowns lose the election and Abbott keeps his promise of funding Brookvale then we will see who is the real dick head is . The fact is not what simon says but Time will Tell !!!

CAMBO said:
To answer you first question let look at debt unlike the Howard governement who came to power I'm 1996 inheriting 96 billion of Hawke and Keating debt the current government inherited zero debt and a budget that was in surplus. As a result of these two terms of ALP governments the national debt is going to break the 300 Billion dollar ceiling (source Financial review). So if that's the number 1 I'd hate to see number 2,3 and 4.

Cambo, you do realise that the debt inherited by Howard was less than the debt inherited by Hawke from Fraser. In fact Fraser acted during the depression/recession he was in power for in the exact same way as Hawke/Keating and Rudd/Gillard and furthermore almost all fiscally responsible governments from either party in history.

Also Howard had it easy, not one global depression/recession to deal with a lot of it based on the mining boom which was set up by Hawke/Keating. If Howard/Costello had the foresight like the previous guys then we would have inherited a much higher surplus than we did.

Highly suggest you read some english press on our economy and how they call us whingers when we are doing great compared to the rest of the world.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4