Round 17 Manly V Dogs [Round 17 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Technical Coach said:
NYEagle said:
Wow some of you "fans" calling out the forward on that performance have short memories.

Are you lot kidding?

Let me know when you want watch that dour rubbish with 13 forwards like the dogs play and maybe Manly can pack in their current strategy for success and sign up a bunch of fat boys.

Amazing - they want flair, a dominant forward pack, speed, size, 30 point wins, dally M, churchill medals or they wont be happy.

Nice couch judges boys.

NYEagle

Nope just saying we got out muscled simple as that.

Funny how when we have a good game it is ok to jump on the "compliment the forwards bandwagon" but when we get out muscled it is not.

I stated last week after a win I was not overly impressed with our forwards this season but impressed how they hang in games same with today.(how much more balanced can you get made my views during a win and a loss not jumping on any bandwagon like others)

It is a problem that exists and it is a testament to the coaching staff to have Manly at the top of the table with the forward pack we have.

And you TC stick almost exclusively and steadfastly to the negativity and know it all wagon.

I expect you'll be trotting out the same misgivings and unsatisfactory report card right up to, and including our, very possible, Grand Final win.

''Manly only won the grand final 20 - 12...Now here's how they should've played and won by more and also why they aren't really worthy winners....''

Mate, can you please slow down enough to use grammar; sentences; full stops and capital letters, you know. It may help your cause a bit.

Yes we were ordinary tonight. They were one-dimensional and slightly less ordinary than us. We had little to gain, although Tooves and co. (and the team) will not take that effort lightly.

I just feel this year - when we HAVE to win - we bloody do!

Come finals-time, I expect that status quo to continue.

Cliffy said:
Such a dumb loss. Just so disappointed at the lack of composure. With 15 minutes to go, and as good as we made them look, that was still a game we should have run away with at the end.

Totally agree. We get back to 16 all and should have fought out a win but let it slide. Guess it doesn't really matter. We will be equal top and still a big game next week against the tigers with Sid.

Not great boys but we could / should have won ex Gifty, Choc Dce and 2 rookies. Just out muscled, keep the faith she'll be right

6/71 said:
You will not get a team that has all the tools in the salary cap era. Great backs? You are going to pay in the forwards. Great forwards? Can you afford halves?

If you trotted out the Australian side you would be a coaching genius and trounce these club teams. The whole role of a coach is to extract every drop of performance with the tools available.

Tell me, what would you do with what we have to achieve a better result? I'm not call in myself a technical coach, but even I called the errors, missed tackles etc.

Impress me rather than just moaning about not having a forward pack averaging 200m, 30 tackles and a few line breaks each. That isn't technical. Dazzle me.

I stated in a previous post that in the salary cap you can't have it all so what is your point, I'm just stating we are light in the forwards full stop.(especially without the toughness of Glenn and Watmough and they are back rowers so that in itself tells you something)

I never once stated I want 200m forwards making 30 tackles i would prefer a little straight go forward punch and aggressiveness "this year" in saying that as i have stated before you can't have it all with a salary cap.

Todays game was not about being technical or dazzling you with a beautiful game plan plain and simple we did not turn up, were flat, lacked aggression and were out muscled.

When i need to be technical i will be tonight has nothing to do with being technical you fool.

RiverEagle said:
Technical Coach said:
NYEagle said:
Wow some of you "fans" calling out the forward on that performance have short memories.

Are you lot kidding?

Let me know when you want watch that dour rubbish with 13 forwards like the dogs play and maybe Manly can pack in their current strategy for success and sign up a bunch of fat boys.

Amazing - they want flair, a dominant forward pack, speed, size, 30 point wins, dally M, churchill medals or they wont be happy.

Nice couch judges boys.

NYEagle

Nope just saying we got out muscled simple as that.

Funny how when we have a good game it is ok to jump on the "compliment the forwards bandwagon" but when we get out muscled it is not.

I stated last week after a win I was not overly impressed with our forwards this season but impressed how they hang in games same with today.(how much more balanced can you get made my views during a win and a loss not jumping on any bandwagon like others)

It is a problem that exists and it is a testament to the coaching staff to have Manly at the top of the table with the forward pack we have.

And you TC stick almost exclusively and steadfastly to the negativity and know it all wagon.

I expect you'll be trotting out the same misgivings and unsatisfactory report card right up to, and including our, very possible, Grand Final win.

''Manly only won the grand final 20 - 12...Now here's how they should've played and won by more and also why they aren't really worthy winners....''

Mate, can you please slow down enough to use grammar; sentences; full stops and capital letters, you know. It may help your cause a bit.

Yes we were ordinary tonight. They were one-dimensional and slightly less ordinary than us. We had little to gain, although Tooves and co. (and the team) will not take that effort lightly.

I just feel this year - when we HAVE to win - we bloody do!

Come finals-time, I expect that status quo to continue.

My posts are more than clear enough for a forum if you have an issue you work around it.

6/71 said:
You will not get a team that has all the tools in the salary cap era. Great backs? You are going to pay in the forwards. Great forwards? Can you afford halves?

If you trotted out the Australian side you would be a coaching genius and trounce these club teams. The whole role of a coach is to extract every drop of performance with the tools available.

Tell me, what would you do with what we have to achieve a better result? I'm not call in myself a technical coach, but even I called the errors, missed tackles etc.

Impress me rather than just moaning about not having a forward pack averaging 200m, 30 tackles and a few line breaks each. That isn't technical. Dazzle me.

Toovey is thinking along the same lines about go forward grunt otherwise he would not have wasted time trying to purchase a replacement for Ritchie.

I've also stated many times the coaching staff have done an amazing job to extract what we can out of our forwards so obviously you don't read all my posts.

You don't need to be technical in relation to the forwards "during the season"---- i have been more than open about my plans in the technical elements of attack over the years which Toovey and the coaching staff are addressing a lot better than Hasler ever did.

Defensive structures, body types for the forwards i would like to have are off season and recruitment issues with the odd bit of blooding in which is what we are doing this year.

Technical Coach does make a legitimate point. He's not the only person to ever proclaim big forwards win matches. I will be surprised if we don't see at least one bigger body shaped forward like Sao, or Lauaki get a run before the finals.

Equally you don't always have to beat big bodies with bigger bodies.

We did see the inclusions of Hodges and Gutherson in the side tonight. The guys did seem unusually bunched around the play of the ball coming off there own line. But surprisingly they didn't really seem to ever try and attack much in the way of dummy half runs back to back. We just played bad.

Pommie Eagle said:
Watching the replay. Please explain how the pass for their last try was not called forward? WTF?!?

Just saw the highlights on the NRL website. That pass went over a metre forward and wasn't called. Unbelievable, how on earth did they miss that? I've seen good passes called back throughout the year and this one was let go.

Its why the video refs should be able to tell those in the pink shirts if there has been a forward pass. With the field marked in the grid it is this rule that the video ref can't call on a forward pass is a joke because IMO it is very easy to tell if there has been a forward pass or its just gone forward with momentum. Tim Browne was about a metre or so behind the 10m line, Ennis caught it almost the same in front of it. I'd wager that pass was even more forward than Baloney's was in the GF.

HoldenV8 said:
Its why the video refs should be able to tell those in the pink shirts if there has been a forward pass. With the field marked in the grid it is this rule that the video ref can't call on a forward pass is a joke because IMO it is very easy to tell if there has been a forward pass or its just gone forward with momentum. Tim Browne was about a metre or so behind the 10m line, Ennis caught it almost the same in front of it. I'd wager that pass was even more forward than Baloney's was in the GF.

I wonder a bit about that with the vid ref's as well. They seem to now be jumping in and over-ruling decisions about 5th tackle results (drop-outs or 20mtr restarts etc - which unfrtunately have been going against manly in the last couple of games)...but no over-rules on blatant forward passes, etc.

Not sure why they jump in for some things and not others.

That said, it felt as if we were out coached last night. Sure 2v doesn't coach basic play the ball mistakes but with the dogs having no halves....they came up with a plan for us and it worked.

We should've done better but in (semi) reality there was only a point in it.

Not sure ballin should have been taken off with scores level and 10 mins to go.

edit: oops, apologies to @bob dylan

edit edit: back to under the radar for us.

I wonder if the video ref would have the guts to call the forward pass as a deliberate forward pass or "offside"

Last week would have taken it's toll not just physically but mentally..We will be way more mental with Watmough back.Bring the finals on, the team they have is nothing..

HappilyManly said:
That forward pass miss is totally on the linesmen, not Video Refs.

It was 2 meters forward FFS :mad:

I wonder if they just don't like calling them in case the video shows the ball 'leaving the hand backwards then drifting forward?'

either way....load of ****e.

as tooves says...there's four of them out there but what's the use? They just say 'we were wrong' and move on, nothing changes.

Seems like the dogs made the best out of their poor situation.....and once again, for some reason coach and captain mumble about 'dunno, didn't turn up....ummm x 40....were flat, etc.

Maybe someone should be hired to remind them there is a game on before they play!

Luckily for us....it doesn't happen too often.

globaleagle said:
HappilyManly said:
That forward pass miss is totally on the linesmen, not Video Refs.

It was 2 meters forward FFS :mad:

I wonder if they just don't like calling them in case the video shows the ball 'leaving the hand backwards then drifting forward?'

either way....load of ****e.

as tooves says...there's four of them out there but what's the use? They just say 'we were wrong' and move on, nothing changes.

Seems like the dogs made the best out of their poor situation.....and once again, for some reason coach and captain mumble about 'dunno, didn't turn up....ummm x 40....were flat, etc.

Maybe someone should be hired to remind them there is a game on before they play!

Luckily for us....it doesn't happen too often.

Happens about once every 4 weeks this season. If I did that at my work I'd be fired. But I guess that's football.

NYEagle said:

Are you lot kidding?

Nice couch judges boys.

NYEagle

Aren't you judging the couch judges? Does that make you a couch judge as well?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10