Round 17 Manly V Dogs [Round 17 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Oh and thats two games we have lost while missing DCE. He really is such an important part of the team. Glad origin is over soon so we can start our run to the finals.

ando said:
We just didn't turn up. We were arm grabbing in defence a lot, very dumb last tackle options..how many repeat sets did we get?

Our forwards got belted. Lawrence made a few silly errors/ penalties. We weren't prepared to roll our sleeves up and paid the price. Never got any momentum at all.

Put that game behind us and hope we come out firing next week

More arm grabbing this year in general but that can also come with a lack of size and missing Glenn and Watmough.

We need the games to be played fast and penalised in our favour during the early exchanges, or refs clamping down on the wrestle against us to be effective.

A slow stop start game against a big pack that has explosive short periods against us will see Manly struggle.

Technical Coach said:
mickqld said:
Technical Coach said:
This is why I am not "overly impressed" with our forward pack, it lacks size, straight grunt and falls off way too many tackles.

Missing the aggression of Watmough and Glenn in defence and we need some straight hard sized grunt up the middle.

The game at Brookie the Dogs were dead after 20mins due to the heavy nature of the ground which allowed us to come over the top---- not so in this game until around the 60th min which exposed our forward weakness more.

The real danger come finals time is we get blown off the park like the Souths game in the early exchanges against a big pack which is what I fear most this season.

Disagree. Last week with no Choc or Gift. Earlier in season against Souffs and Rorters. Our pack at full strength is more than capable of providing the platform for our backline. Put both teams at full strength tonight and the result would be different.

During large periods in the Roosters game when there was no penalties our forwards struggled.

We need to be able to hang in for the first 20mins and not allow the game to be stop start which favours big sized slow teams to get over the top with our class in the backs.

Not enough fatigue in this game to take advantage of the Dogs size with quick play the balls and our mobile back row to take advantage of.

BOZO said:
Technical Coach said:
This is why I am not "overly impressed" with our forward pack, it lacks size, straight grunt and falls off way too many tackles.

Missing the aggression of Watmough and Glenn in defence and we need some straight hard sized grunt up the middle.

The game at Brookie the Dogs were dead after 20mins due to the heavy nature of the ground which allowed us to come over the top---- not so in this game until around the 60th min which exposed our forward weakness more.

The real danger come finals time is we get blown off the park like the Souths game in the early exchanges against a big pack which is what I fear most this season.
What a load of crap. How did we go last week against the Rooster pack without Choc and Gift ?

Not as well as you think...

TC

With a damaging forward pack the scumdogs have , and the worst game we had for a while , they really only beat us by one point. All that attack & field position they had it was a one point game and playing as bad as we did we even could of won that game by a field goal.

I'm concerned about the attitude tonight , but not worried at all come September or those fat oversized mammals forwards the scumdogs have

Bad -
* backwards slide in defence
* jumper grabbing
* Dogs never giving an inch in the ruck, fighting, wrestling, pushing off the * mark, interfering with markers all night - basically showing more urgency and commitment than us
* errors

Good -
we finally got a short kick off go our way.

We were never really in that game but how tough are our guys to stay in the contest till the last minute. We got beat up, but they kept trying. We almost snatched it if Hiku passes to Foran.

We didn't have a good night and Dogsler came up with a way to win playing to their strength.

But we have zero excuse. We were missing Sid, Choc, Jorge and Gift but they were missing Perrett, Morris, Stanley, Reynolds, Hodkinson and Pritchard.

Gutted, but move on to the Tigpies at Brookie next week. I really hate losing.

torana355 said:
Technical Coach said:

Our forwards were not the reason we lost tonight, sure they we out muscled but we had our chance to win that game. A very poor option by Foran to put in that chip kick instead of a FG. Could have had a shot for FG a few sets before that aswell but we went for the miracle try up the sideline.

Has nothing to do with the field goal option, should not have been in this situation to start with----we were out muscled plain and simple plus a lack of intensity.

Wow some of you "fans" calling out the forward on that performance have short memories.

Are you lot kidding?

Let me know when you want watch that dour rubbish with 13 forwards like the dogs play and maybe Manly can pack in their current strategy for success and sign up a bunch of fat boys.

Amazing - they want flair, a dominant forward pack, speed, size, 30 point wins, dally M, churchill medals or they wont be happy.

Nice couch judges boys.

NYEagle

Mark from Brisbane said:
I am really sorry to say this but Jason King isn't up to the rigours of a game like this any more.

Must have been hit early and just vanished for the rest of the game.

Lawrence and Starling also targeted early and as a result ineffectual for much of the match.

I said it before and hate to praise the pr.ck but Ha$ler had a different game plan tonight and it worked well!!

Being a dirty lying cheating scummy prick doesn't make him a better coach. We lost the game more than them winning it.

Technical Coach said:
mickqld said:
Technical Coach said:

Disagree. Last week with no Choc or Gift. Earlier in season against Souffs and Rorters. Our pack at full strength is more than capable of providing the platform for our backline. Put both teams at full strength tonight and the result would be different.

During large periods in the Roosters game when there was no penalties our forwards struggled.

We need to be able to hang in for the first 20mins and not allow the game to be stop start which favours big sized slow teams to get over the top with our class in the backs.

Not enough fatigue in this game to take advantage of the Dogs size with quick play the balls and our mobile back row to take advantage of.

Agreed. Our defensive line speed was too slow and with them being allowed liberty in the holding down department we had no hope of quick play the balls to fatigue them. 1 penalty in the 2nd half meant no momentum or field position. We do rely on blowing teams away but without DCE that wasn't going to happen. We didn't play well, too many errors and wrong options but hardly throat slashing material.

panash said:
Technical Coach said:
mickqld said:
Technical Coach said:

BOZO said:
Technical Coach said:

What a load of crap. How did we go last week against the Rooster pack without Choc and Gift ?

Not as well as you think...

TC

With a damaging forward pack the scumdogs have , and the worst game we had for a while , they really only beat us by one point. All that attack & field position they had it was a one point game and playing as bad as we did we even could of won that game by a field goal.

I'm concerned about the attitude tonight , but not worried at all come September or those fat oversized mammals forwards the scumdogs have

If it's a fast free flowing game and refereed accordingly we will be ok as the size of certain packs will struggle to keep up but if it is short periods of explosiveness combined with many penalties and wrestle we are in trouble.

Once big teams get a roll on the penalties against us will mount as we will struggle to slow down the play the ball---- you will see back to back tries or exceptional go forward camping us in our own half.

NYEagle said:
Wow some of you "fans" calling out the forward on that performance have short memories.

Are you lot kidding?

Let me know when you want watch that dour rubbish with 13 forwards like the dogs play and maybe Manly can pack in their current strategy for success and sign up a bunch of fat boys.

Amazing - they want flair, a dominant forward pack, speed, size, 30 point wins, dally M, churchill medals or they wont be happy.

Nice couch judges boys.

NYEagle

Nope just saying we got out muscled simple as that.

Funny how when we have a good game it is ok to jump on the "compliment the forwards bandwagon" but when we get out muscled it is not.

I stated last week after a win I was not overly impressed with our forwards this season but impressed how they hang in games same with today.(how much more balanced can you get made my views during a win and a loss not jumping on any bandwagon like others)

It is a problem that exists and it is a testament to the coaching staff to have Manly at the top of the table with the forward pack we have.

God said:
Garts said:
Our year is over, we are completely useless, half our team should be sacked.

Disagree but If we had Graham and they had king who be on similar coin we win

Haha. That is the overreaction prize winner. Nothing will top that!

6/71 said:
God said:
Garts said:
Our year is over, we are completely useless, half our team should be sacked.

Disagree but If we had Graham and they had king who be on similar coin we win

Haha. That is the overreaction prize winner. Nothing will top that!

At the moment I'd take graham for king. Not sure the on the same coin but graham is a gun.

TC, just as many successful attempts doesn't prove our point, one terrible game doesn't prove yours.

The entire team- not just the forwards- offerred nothing. We were soundly beaten.

That is not a need for a new jerk reaction and many changes. We just adjust and get back on the horse.

My observations are not based off one loss or one terrible game that is the point you are missing.

My views are also from several games we have won during many periods in many games this year.

Even the previous Doggies game at Brookie showed the same signs in the early exchanges, the heavy ground and brilliance of DCE to break up the game saved us.

Periods in the Tigers game, Roosters game, Doggies Game, Parra Game, Storm game Broncos game and a few others have shown up weakness in our forwards in terms of go forward grunt, falling off tackles, not slowing down the play the ball and offloads.

You will not get a team that has all the tools in the salary cap era. Great backs? You are going to pay in the forwards. Great forwards? Can you afford halves?

If you trotted out the Australian side you would be a coaching genius and trounce these club teams. The whole role of a coach is to extract every drop of performance with the tools available.

Tell me, what would you do with what we have to achieve a better result? I'm not call in myself a technical coach, but even I called the errors, missed tackles etc.

Impress me rather than just moaning about not having a forward pack averaging 200m, 30 tackles and a few line breaks each. That isn't technical. Dazzle me.

Such a dumb loss. Just so disappointed at the lack of composure. With 15 minutes to go, and as good as we made them look, that was still a game we should have run away with at the end.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10