Rd1 Barrett vs Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Alby

Reserve Grader
I don't know what you guys think, but rd1 should be a cracker. Excited to see the new faces come together in Maroon and white. Nerves due to the fact it will be their first game together, and Barrett's first game as a 1st grade coach - but also because we're going up against...(drum roll, drum roll, drum roll)... Dog Hasler.

Now, I don't think it will have the same 2012 media ****stir when Tooves took over, but ffs this game is so important for MWSE on many levels. OK, ok, it's only 2 points to start with - and it's only the first game, BUT!

a) We need to get the (Hasler's got our number) syndrome OUT of our system.

b) A victory will give TB his own sense of belief that he CAN get the job done (esp against a dual premiership winning coach).

c) Oh yeah, and uhmm 2 competition points is always handy.

The Dogs may have lost a bit of strike power in Pritchard and Hodgko (when healthy), but their forward stocks are never short off the mark. Their halfback combo failed to deliver during this seasons finals, but having said that, Manly's halfback combo is an untested one.

Also, I question whether Hasler can find Hopoate's 2011 form? He couldn't spark TREX back into form, but I believe those two (and their halfbacks) will be Des's focal points over the off season.

When I look at both teams on paper, we probably look a bit stronger, and betting agencies should have us favorites, but I believe there is more pressure for us to win than the Dogs.

Oh yeah I forgot, Fulton will be right over Barrett's shoulder.

And Tapau to put Kasiano on his fat ass.

Manly to win (unsure of margin though)

dogs.jpg

Last edited:
Dogs are usually a tough team to play against, no matter where you play them! Should be a perfect opportunity to practice our new "Brick Wall Defence" that Barrett has been telling everyone about!

Because the game is at Brookvale, I'm gonna go Manly by 8+

Last edited:
Hasler has certainly had our number since 2012. I am tipping us to get them though at Brookie with a new look team.

I already have a growing party locked in and committed to attending this home match, some of whom travelling. We've had a rather uncomfortable ride pretty much ever since that semifinal thrashing at the hands of the bunnies in 2014.

I am one of many Manly fans keen to see if the recruitment drive that has buoyed us during this off-season can pay dividends on the field. Hasler will have a couple of trick shots for sure, but I am expecting a very strong turnout by the Sea Eagle faithful - and that crowd support might just make the difference and get the new era of to a winning start. Can't wait!

Lets hope that it s at Brookie, as it will be a great physical game to kick start 2016 :)

Who are the halves at the Dogs?

It will be interesting to see how much space the new forwards will afford our backs :nod:

Chez MOM, Manly by 24 :inlove:

I'd assume Reynolds and Mybe will be the starting halves. Their backline will bmoz, Rona, perrett, jmoz, WHoppa....not too shabby should be a good test.

I'd assume Reynolds and Mybe will be the starting halves. Their backline will bmoz, Rona, perrett, jmoz, WHoppa....not too shabby should be a good test.

Backline matchups:
B.Stewart vs B.Morris
Tafua and TTurbo vs Perrett and Rona
Lyons and Matai vs JMoz and WHoppa
DCE and Walker vs JReynolds and Mbye

If our centres are healthy, then we should have the edge in that area, only because Hoppa is in there.
Hard to split between TTurbo and Rona (both have speed, xfactor, average defence, but TTurbo may be better in the air).
Tafua better than Perrett (in the wing department only)
Snake is the smarter and better ballplaying FB, but BMoz has the edge in the physical department (power/speed).
DCE better than JReynolds.
Mbye played terrible in the finals this year - can't comment on Walker yet.

Our backline does look better than theirs, but a lot depends on health.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8