R.I.P. Earnie the Eagle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that one of our legendary old timers has gone to the great Brookvale Oval in the sky. The Silvertails poster Earnie the Eagle passed away on the weekend. News of which took me by great surprise when I received a PM from his son today saying his Dad wouldn't be entering his tips in the tipping comp this weekend after I had sent him a reminder PM. His son Anthony explains as below;

I am sorry to have to tell you this but Dad lost his battle with cancer over the weekend and I am just in the process of tying up loose ends on the net. I know that Silvertails was his favourite place, he spoke about it often. He was one of the most passionate Manly supporters I have seen.

If you want an indication of what sort of a fan Earnie was, then check out this recent thread

http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Who-here-actually-went-to-all-8-sucessful-grand-finals

He had seen every one of Manly's 8 premiership victories live. No mean feat. Not many people around with that claim to fame, especially those with the ability to remember them all and still have the 90c entry ticket to prove it. More to the point, to have the ability to engage with the current generation over the internet and via a forum that unites those with his shared passion, something that must have seemed almost beyond comprehension back in 72.

Anthony also took the time to give me a bit more of an insight into Earnie and the depth of his passion for the mighty Maroon and White.

He once went to buy a new car from a dealer in Goulburn where he lived, he was wearing his manly shirt. The owner happened to come out just before he signed all the paperwork and made the mistake of putting s**t on Manly, well Dad got the papers in his hand and ripped them into pieces and told them in no uncertain terms where they could stick the place and went to Canberra to buy his new car.

He used to take my brother, sister and I to see Manly as often as he could, but he only brainwashed my younger brother and some of his grandchildren. (Edit - good on you Earnie, that’s not brainwashing, that’s giving them the best possible start in life)

Mum did say to him last year "where are you going to put the next wall up in the house for all your Manly things" He told her " There are priorities in life, Manly comes first, we will simply have to move to another larger house"

Mum did however did draw the line with him when he wanted to paint the house maroon and white. He didn’t speak to her for a week after she told him that.

Anthony did also want to make the following point

I know he was extremely grateful for the Silvertails forum post that was done and the member, and my apology I dont know who that was, who came to his rescue when he lost his "I'm a Silvertail " badge and gave Dad his own one. That tells me that Silvertails is a very unique family of Manly supporters.

You can read about that here; http://forums.silvertails.net/Thread-Lost-Silvertail-Badge

I urge all of you to take 5 minutes and visit Earnie the Eagle's profile page, read a couple of his posts and then have a think about what 50+ years of supporting Manly would be like. Imagine the highs and lows he experienced. The great players he saw wearing the maroon and white. The memorable wins. The heartbreaking losses. The games that make you proud. The games that test your loyalty. The evolution in this great game we follow. The changes in the world, and life in general. He saw 8 great teams achieve the highest honour, and he never saw his beloved Sea Eagles finish last.

We have lost one of our own, and a true supporter if there ever was one. Hopefully the Sea Eagles can deliver one last premiership for Earnie in 2013, where he'll have the best view in the house.

Vale Allan aka Earnie the Eagle

This is a great thread. It puts perspective into supporting a team through the ups and downs, good and bad, in the wins and losses.

Thanks to Earnie's families for sharing this with us. Go Manly!!

Sad news. A real shock too. I lost my Dad to this stinking disease on the 4th of last month.

R.I.P EARNIE.

Wow. In absolute shock. Only received a PM from Earnie last week. He was reminiscing about his time up here in Darwin & how he hoped to get back up here next year. RIP mate. God Bless.

Very sad news. It was great reading Earnie's post on here.

Condolences to his family and thanks to his son for sharing a part of Earnie's life.

R.I.P Earnie.

I am incredibly sad to have read this today.

Earnie (Allan) and I shared a few emails over the past few months and not once did he ever let on, nor complain about his condition.

I did learn, however, that he spent a lifetime serving his country, has a son doing the same, and had many funny stories about 'retired' life on a farm.

Even if it was 'only through the forum and emails' I am glad to have shared some time with him, even more so seeing as how precious that time was.

To his family, I hope they find peace and strength whilst they endure the weeks ahead.

My gracious thanks in letting us know.

R.I.P Allan and may you adorn the sky in Maroon and white.

And to Mozgrame who also lost his Dad last month, my condolences to you and your family also.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8