Probe into Third Party Endorsements

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nope. all can be stopped if we have a points system and no salary cap.

Points allocated as to experience and rep games and discounted for junior development and length of service.
Thank you- saved me ten minutes from typing this up- have been proposing the exact same thing for years.

We have TPA's. They organised a bunch of them for DCE.

Yes aware of that I probably should have said they have a whole heap more TPA's than Manly, and probably most of the other 13 clubs other than themselves, Donkeys and Scumdogs.

The salary cap is and will forever be whatever clubs are willing to play players, either directly or through their contacts.

Third party agreements should not be tied into a deal with a club and should be negotiated separately between player managers and businesses, if a club tries to entice a player using TPA's they should be signed off on outside of a contract presumably the benefit to that business is through the endorsement of that particular player so it shouldn't matter what club they play at as they are still an asset to that business, TPA's that stipulate a player must be at a particular club are clearly a salary cap rort. You can argue that all sportsmen can get some cash via endorsing products and companies, but how many other sports actually have these tied into their contracts, the entire situation is a disgrace.

All TPA's should have to be finalised before a contract is signed and then be paid regardless of where that player ultimately decides to sign.

Best solution is to allow all clubs to sign 6 players on deals that are unlimited and a combination of TPA's and club contracts ... But the rest of each clubs squads would be highly regulated and subscribed enterprise agreement payments, through a draft system, where the NRL would subcontract back players on NRL/Club deals (no TPA's for players in a squad other than the top 6 players).

The TPA system has been exploited and defeats the purpose of the cap.
Hard to police it when you have media organizations and other corporate entities who control certain clubs. There may be a salary cup for all teams but it is truly irrelevant when you measure the impact of TPA's. Too little too late I'm afraid.
How is it too little too late?

Just because something has been a certain way for some time, doesn't mean it can't be changed and policed?!

Further, why are we making rocket science out of solutions? Just cap the limit on third party deals and the problem is solved.

How is it too little too late?

Just because something has been a certain way for some time, doesn't mean it can't be changed and policed?!

Further, why are we making rocket science out of solutions? Just cap the limit on third party deals and the problem is solved.
For years and years the TPA has been abused, the reason the drizzle were done for the cap is that they merely duplicated what the donkeys have been doing for years and years and the common denominators were Ribot and News limited.

The horse bolted a long time ago. If the league were fair dinkum they would give clubs dispensation for bringing through a player and if he does 10 years at a club then there should be concessions for that.

Scandalous that clubs get penalised for this when their players are loyal. As we all know the Gift situation has wrecked seasons 2014 and 2015 in a big way.

Yeah it needs to be policed, so Greenturd has that job, isnt he the CEO that used TPA's to lure away players through the rich Bulldogs leagues club and sponsors and also seduce Hasler with that too? It will never change while people have vested interests.

The rules are murky. We have a salary cap and then there is a whole new system where the true rorting happens.

Yes aware of that I probably should have said they have a whole heap more TPA's than Manly, and probably most of the other 13 clubs other than themselves, Donkeys and Scumdogs.
Just mentioned it because a few said we had none. They were a big part of pulling together his deal.

I thought that the whole point of TPA's was that they were independent of the club contracts.

If so how can any of them be arranged by the club & dependent on playing for that club.

I thought that the whole point of TPA's was that they were independent of the club contracts.

If so how can any of them be arranged by the club & dependent on playing for that club.

I think how it works is something like this, based on Cherry's deal with Fox

Club approaches a non club sponsor and offers a player or players for endorsements.

An amount is agreed upon, and a contract is drawn up between the player and the business, and it's then up to the business to pay the player direct.

Commonly called a " third party agreement".

Agreements can't be between club existing sponsors and a player.

I haven't seen the rules ( they are probably online somewhere ) but that's how I understand it works.

Reason I say that is I was offered one when doing the travel work for the Broncos, could have had a Bronco promoting my business .....Lol ( as if ).

Does anyone know if for Chez, that means he'll be on 360 each week next year?

I think how it works is something like this, based on Cherry's deal with Fox

Club approaches a non club sponsor and offers a player or players for endorsements.

An amount is agreed upon, and a contract is drawn up between the player and the business, and it's then up to the business to pay the player direct.

Commonly called a " third party agreement".

Agreements can't be between club existing sponsors and a player.

I haven't seen the rules ( they are probably online somewhere ) but that's how I understand it works.

Reason I say that is I was offered one when doing the travel work for the Broncos, could have had a Bronco promoting my business .....Lol ( as if ).
You should have got Justin hodges to promote the manly world club challenge trips! "Hi I'm Justin, and I won't be there in England for the wcc"

Thank you- saved me ten minutes from typing this up- have been proposing the exact same thing for years.

I noticed that wasn't an option in the fan's survey was it?

Obviously Vyssini you are a very intelligent human being. I can say this with all honesty. The reason I can say this without being contradicted is because you agree with me. So you must be extremely intelligent. :)

From the NRL Site:

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

What about money paid from other people or companies?If a player is receiving money from any person as a way of inducing him to play for the club, then that money will be included in the Salary Cap.

Income that a player earns from parties not related to his club is generally not included in the Salary Cap, however, the details of the agreement must be advised to the club by the player.

The club must then get approval for the agreement from the Salary Cap Auditor in order for the remuneration to be excluded.

In 2006, the NRL also introduced an allowance for players who enter into Third Party Agreements with club sponsors, referred to as Marquee Player Agreements. In 2014, the Top 25 players are allowed to earn up to a maximum $600,000 in Marquee Player Agreements but the total payments under these agreements must not exceed $600,000 per club, otherwise any excess amounts are included in the salary cap.

Players are also able to enter into agreements with game sponsors, referred to as Sponsor Leveraging Agreements. There is no maximum amount and they are excluded from the salary cap.

How can some clubs have so many elite players and still be under the Salary Cap while other clubs at the bottom of the table seem to be just under the Salary Cap?The reality is the majority of clubs spend the Salary Cap but not all are successful on the field. Someone has to come last and someone has to win, regardless of what they spend.

Some clubs will attract players on the basis of what the club can offer a player's career rather than just money. Other clubs may need to spend more money to attract the same level of player.

Many factors affect individual players' remuneration levels. Some of the reasons why a player may sign with a club include:
Staying close to the player's home town and family.
- The chance to work with one of the top coaches in the game.
- Being part of a winning team and the potential to play in the Telstra Premiership Finals Series or Grand Final.
- Increased opportunity to play NRL with that club due to a lack of competition for the player's preferred position.
- The increased profile a player may enjoy in a one-team town.
- The number of support staff, their expertise and the support facilities.
- Education and welfare support structures.
- In addition, a player's salary package may include benefits that are specifically excluded from the Salary Cap, such as the payment of medical premiums, Marquee Player Agreements, relocation payments, prize money, university fees etc.

I have seen people get angry over this, and the funny thing is everyone who is magically seems to be either a Broncos, Bulldogs or Roosters fan. It is quite a funny coincidence.

I recently heard that by the end of his run, Darren Lockyer was only 300k on the Broncos's cap, which is ridiculous. The fact that Dessie was only going to have to pay Fifita 500k a year on the cap when he almost signed him was the last straw for me. This third party bull**** needs to go, and go as quickly as possible.

If you honestly don't think that 3rd party deals are a problem, compare the Bulldogs to the Titans, the Roosters to Newcastle and Broncos to the Tigpies. It is disgusting that it took so long for the NRL to finally realize that this is a problem.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6