Probe into Third Party Endorsements

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Reports that the NRL has appointed an external consultant to come up with a plan to even out the clubs with TPE's - like Easts and Brisbane - and those that don't (apparently there are several with no TPEs - possibly we are one of them), is good news. The problem is coming up with a solution.
My suggestion is that all clubs must reveal their TPEs to the NRL. It doesn't matter how many or how much it amounts to. That combined amount - say it is $3-M - then gets split into 16 and each club can spend the $187,500 allocation in exceeding the salary cap by up to that amount.
While this will still benefit Easts and Brisbane, it will be of greater help to those battling clubs that have no TPEs.
Thoughts?

There is either a salary cap or there isn't.
TPE's are cheating.
Not the way the player's see it. They believe they are entitled to earn money from endorsements/arrangements/sponsorships, much the same way all high profile sports stars do. Just look at the crap Michael Clarke advertises!
The NRL can't legally stop this. It's already been proved in court many years ago.
So, they have to wear it, but somehow make it fairer on those clubs that can't attract TPEs.

I wish the nrl could put a stop to those bloody awful Ricky ponting vitamin ads. While they're at it the moronic kfc ads can go too.

The TPA system has been exploited and defeats the purpose of the cap.
Hard to police it when you have media organizations and other corporate entities who control certain clubs. There may be a salary cup for all teams but it is truly irrelevant when you measure the impact of TPA's. Too little too late I'm afraid.

The actual cap should be fixed. You get paid x by the club and it every cent counts towards it.

BUT - Players should also be allowed to get endorsements for however much they want. Like if Nike wants to pay DCE 5M to promote boots then why the hell shouldn't they and why shouldn't he be able to take that money? Players on all teams if they are good enough should be able to earn endorsement money. It works in every other league. Lebron gets 20M from the Cavs that counts towards the cap but Nike pays him another 20+ each year. If that had to count against the cap the whole system fails.

All TPA's are disclosed to the NRL now. In fact the NRL salary cap auditors must sign off on them. It's impossible to stop, there was a court case in which it was ruled to be a restraint of trade by the NRL under the Trade Practices Act if they counted independent 3rd party agreements in the cap. That's why the rules state that they can't be organised or guaranteed by the clubs.

Even if you can control TPA then they will Be discount cars, properties or investments.
There will always be a work around

English soccer and American baseball prove that clubs with the most money almost always do well in the premiership. It's evident in the NRL where Easts, over the past few years, have got their "finances" in order and, behold, they win three Minor Premiership in a row in a competition the NRL likes to claim "has never been more even." Easts have virtually no juniors, yet finish top. Penrith has a plethora of juniors yet finish last.
Not hard to figure out the importance money plays above and beyond the salary cap.

The nrl should set up a commitee that actively search to tpas for the game. Any sponser should approach the NRL and say we want a player to advertise this and that. We are looking for player x or pkayer y. The NRl does the deal, charges no commision to the players and it is totally independent of which club they play for

H
The nrl should set up a commitee that actively search to tpas for the game. Any sponser should approach the NRL and say we want a player to advertise this and that. We are looking for player x or pkayer y. The NRl does the deal, charges no commision to the players and it is totally independent of which club they play for
How will that stop what's happening now? Company A is approached by the club & player Manager & the Company A goes to the NRL & says I want player X. It just can't be stopped.

Nope. all can be stopped if we have a points system and no salary cap.

Points allocated as to experience and rep games and discounted for junior development and length of service.

Any team can pay players what they can but the total points cannot add up to beyond an allocation of say 25,000 points for the top 25 players.

I've said it before and will continue to say it, the salary c(R)ap is not working but a points system will.

Why it hasn't been taken up by the league is beyond my common sense approach to life KISS.
Do not complicate things.

Players should be able to earn extra money from Tpa's, Cause of the salary cap they are limited
To even out player talent you need to associate the salary cap with a draft or something similar (Oh they have already tried that ) But i do think that is the way.

H

How will that stop what's happening now? Company A is approached by the club & player Manager & the Company A goes to the NRL & says I want player X. It just can't be stopped.

I believe it would stop certain teams getting all the deal. Its its done truely the company pays player x and its not if you come to the roosters we will give you 500 k in the cap and 300 k as a tpa. It would sort out the true tpas and not just the top ups. Keep managers away from tpas and they deal with the nrl. Cherry gets a 5 year deal to promote fluffy dice.why not he is marketable. If he choses to switch clubs its of no consequence. He is flogging fluffy dice at all clubs

The problem is we cant restrict there trade but we can sort out what are true endorsements and what are 300 k top ups to attend a few birthday parties

No doubt the current system isn't working , as in fairness to clubs down the bottom.

For example , Rorters could offer Hayne / Burgess Brothers ( the good ones) / SBW 1.2 Million a year deals, with say $100k coming in cap and the rest TPA's

So say 5 players and a they are paying is $500k.

Manly, who can't offer a TPA, to get even 1 of those players had to front up with a huge chunk of the cap.

Tell me how that's fair??

Rorters are about to win their 3rd Minor Premiership, and could under the current system win them every year until Politis croaks !!

The problem is entirely solvable if there is the will to institute a significant change.

The NRL can ensure equity between clubs by controlling all player contracts directly and allocating players to clubs through a separate bidding process. i.e. The NRL contracts are between the NRL and the player - not between the club and the player. The player gets whatever he can in TPAs, from whatever source, but the TPAs have no influence at all on where he ends up playing - because this is controlled by the bidding process.

Mechanism: The clubs bid a proportion of their salary cap for each player. Manly bid say 10% of salary cap for Sam Burgess. Beats Roosters 9% bid. To favour stability, bids can be weighted for loyalty to existing clubs (weighted up by say 10%). Highest adjusted bidder wins.

The player contracts are financed via the NRL withholding a specified proportion of the TV rights deals specifically for this purpose.

No doubt the current system isn't working , as in fairness to clubs down the bottom.

For example , Rorters could offer Hayne / Burgess Brothers ( the good ones) / SBW 1.2 Million a year deals, with say $100k coming in cap and the rest TPA's

So say 5 players and a they are paying is $500k.

Manly, who can't offer a TPA, to get even 1 of those players had to front up with a huge chunk of the cap.

Tell me how that's fair??

Rorters are about to win their 3rd Minor Premiership, and could under the current system win them every year until Politis croaks !!
We have TPA's. They organised a bunch of them for DCE.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6