Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
During the Israel Folau debarcle , I told people that they were seriously underestimating the depth of Folau's beliefs and the strength of his convictions ....

Rugby Aust. and Qantas soon learnt that they had also seriously underestimated the amount of support he had in the broader community ...

Disagree with the stance the players make all you want ... but the numbnuts calling them weak are seriously underestimating the depth of their beliefs, and the genuine strength of their convictions .... they will also be surprised by the amount of support they have in the broader community ..
Weak people can often find strength in numbers amongst other similarly weakminded people.

James Graham was on Triple M earlier & nailed it IMO.

He said fast-forward many years & these players have died & gone up to the pearly gates & St Peter's said "well, why do you deserve to come in?"

The player replies "Well I've been devoted to my religion all my life, I've crossed myself every time I went onto the field, every time I scored a try, every achievement I dedicated to my faith in God"

St Peter replies "sure that's all well & good but hang on...round 20 in the year 2022...I can see here you ran out onto the field wearing a pride jersey? Sorry, you can't come in!"

**** me this club is dumb

Having rainbows on the jersey achieves nothing, if you are going to help out some minorities go and do that rather than this limp corporate messaging that achieves nothing. The regular jersey is inclusive of everyone that supports the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, there is absolutely no need for this performative crap and the game is better off without it

Really poor all round to not advise the players that jersey changes were happening which would have avoided or minimised this whole debacle so the players could talk through it if they had an issue with it (which to be honest anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to the club and rugby league in general would've guessed that it would be the pacific islander contingent in the squad that would object to this)

NRL players aren't deep thinkers and its stupid not to give them as little reason to publicly espouse their views about life as little as possible. Don't just throw things on them they might object to with no warning, so that you can deal with it in private.

Now we are in a situation where no-one is backing down and instead Des and DCE have been wheeled out to take a bite out of this proverbial sandwich rather than the person who is actually responsible which is Scott Penn.

Totally ****s our season, I am furious

What a day. In a nutshell; I strongly support the notion of inclusivity the jersey was supposed to represent. However I’m furious with the club administration, for the breathtakingly poor execution of it. I also support the players right to decline to be involved. But I’m my heart, I can’t help be disappointed they’ve chosen their own self interest, over supporting their team mates.
Quite a sad day for the club actually

I wasn’t going to get involved in this as it is so highly emotional. But here goes.

Firstly, I’m fine with the jersey. As a matter of fact when I first saw it I thought it was a good initiative. But this post is not about the process and the outcome. It’s about those who are sitting out.

The general consensus here is that they are bigots and that is why they won’t play.

But has anyone considered that they are genuinely afraid for their souls? That is that if they are seen to support the rainbow community, they will go to hell for eternity.

Before you dismiss the idea, I was brought up as Catholic. I was educated by nuns and brothers in my early years. It is drummed into you by them that if you die in sin, you will go to hell. And while I still adhere to the basic Catholic tenants, I have outgrown that idea. I don’t even attend church. But if this continues to be drummed into them by their religious leaders, then it is probably still a genuine belief for them.

If these players are committed enough to participate in prayer circles, thank their god publicly and have ‘Jesus’ and crosses written/drawn in their strapping, then why wouldn’t they genuinely believe their souls might be in danger? It’s part of the package.

I’m not defending anyone’s right to bigotry, but this is just from a different perspective.

For clarity, just reiterating that I support this, and any initiative that promotes inclusion.

I feel for any person who has ever wrestled with their sexuality. I think the way that gay people were treated thirty years ago was both appalling and unjust. Thankfully a lot has changed since then. Ian Roberts is one of my all time favourite Manly players, his coming out didn't make a lick of difference to me. I hope that I would always extend a helping hand to anyone who came to me in need, irrespective of their race, religion, sexuality, social standing, or gender. I have done MANY shameful things in my life (particularly as a younger man,) and on that basis alone, I am in no position to judge When I point the finger, there are always three fingers pointing back at me.

Faith in Jesus Christ has changed many things in my life. Particularly in those areas where one might say where I was incorrigible. I am by no means the finished product, as my time spent arguing on here clearly shows, but there are changes in me that can only be attributed to God, the Bible, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. I am a wretch who has been saved by grace. I respect and applaud the lads for their stance, their silence whilst under immense personal attack, turning the other cheek whilst their character is dissected on social media is remarkable. The vitriol and insults are coming thick and fast Their reaction to it has certainly caused me to give pause for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8