Please stay Marty

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I'm sure Marty would stay but this is recruitments decision if it happens. I too would keep Marty since what's available to replace him in experience etc?

I guess the issue with Marty is what coin we are paying and the perceived value we are getting from him. He still contributes but he isn't in the top tier of props these days IMO. I suspect he is on good coin which the club might think is better spent elsewhere. We have Paseka, Sippers, Vera, Keppie, Saddler, and young Fainu - edit: forgot about De Luis too. I'd even be tempted to turn Davey into a middle forward next year. Is that enough depth ? maybe enough depth, but light on experience - that's what keeps him in the mix for mine.

Last edited:
Would really like to see him stay but my head tells me to sell. Need to the extra coin to ensure we keep the fantastic talent we have coming through the ranks.

I have been a critic of Marty's over the past 2 years .. not so much his individual stats, but his contribution to the effectiveness of the pack ... "We lost, but wasn't Marty's numbers great" was almost a mantra ...

However over the past 8 weeks or so, he seems a bit more invested, and playing a team game ... not so many one out runs hither and dale, but hard runs to a field position and a quick play the ball, for the backs to play off .. also seems to be more vigorous and notable in defense ...

So, he is going good enough to want to keep ... it's just the price tag that is now an issue. I think he may be priced out.

I guess the issue with Marty is what coin we are paying and the perceived value we are getting from him. He still contributes but he isn't in the top tier of props these days IMO. I suspect he is on good coin which the club might think is better spent elsewhere. We have Paseka, Sippers, Vera, Keppie, Saddler, and young Fainu - edit: forgot about De Luis too. I'd even be tempted to turn Davey into a middle forward next year. Is that enough depth ? maybe enough depth, but light on experience - that's what keeps him in the mix for mine.
We've signed Vera Lynn?
I hate to tell you but.......

Sign Marty for another 2 years at a reduced rate.

Offer him a coaching job after footy where his discipline in training and self management can be taught amongst all the young kids.
He's already contracted for next year, that's the issue. Are you saying extend him past that for 2023/24 ??

Sign Marty for another 2 years at a reduced rate.

Offer him a coaching job after footy where his discipline in training and self management can be taught amongst all the young kids.
ZeroTackle has him signed here on $800k for next year and he's 31 years old now.

So the question is. What would a reasonable reduced rate (that he would accept) be?

Also as @Ryan pointed out, then end can come quickly for NRL players (especially forwards) over the age of 30. It's easy to look at Marty and say that he'll easily play until 34-35... and he might... but from observation, once they hit the 'cliff' that's it.

I'm sure Marty would stay but this is recruitments decision if it happens. I too would keep Marty since what's available to replace him in experience etc?
He's been great but I wouldn't resign him for anywhere near what he is on.

Luke Thompson is being shopped and is arguably as good and younger on much cheaper coin. He's on $850k next year and Bulldogs are apparently willing to pay $450k - I don't think you could get a much better prop for $400k... would be a HUGE signing.

Stefano Utoikimanu is already becoming a top prop in my opinion and is reportedly on $275k at the TIGERS - shambles club. He looks like the next Haas...

Would much rather sign BOTH of these guys, or ONE and Bullemor, for LESS THAN the price of Marty on $800k next year...

He's been great but I wouldn't resign him for anywhere near what he is on.

Luke Thompson is being shopped and is arguably as good and younger on much cheaper coin. He's on $850k next year and Bulldogs are apparently willing to pay $450k - I don't think you could get a much better prop for $400k... would be a HUGE signing.

Stefano Utoikimanu is already becoming a top prop in my opinion and is reportedly on $275k at the TIGERS - shambles club. He looks like the next Haas...

Would much rather sign BOTH of these guys, or ONE and Bullemor, for LESS THAN the price of Marty on $800k next year...

Thompson is a liability with his discipline and has reportedly been homesick in the past. Good player but with majority of pommies how long until being homesick kicks in?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8