1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Officials ruining the game

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Matabele, May 15, 2009.

1. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Seriously, that video ref decision to deny the Bulldogs a winning try will drive people away from the game.  The officials are ruining the game.

Two referees mean too many stoppages and over-pedantic decision making.

The video refs are adjudicating according to a rule book rather than common sense.

It's a serious turn off as no fan wants to invest emotionally in a side when their on-field fortunes are a maggot controlled lottery.

2. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,519 / 50
    Love your use of the word "Maggot." Reminds me of playing Nightmare as a kid. "Come closer. How dare you disallow the try, you maggot!"
    You're right, the refs suck big time this year.

3. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    The referees are getting worse and two refs on the field is just magnifying the problem. That decision tonight was made by someone who has no idea about football. It was the poorest decision I have seen for many a year and the problem is that we are getting more than ever this year. Two refs are missing so many glaring errors.

It is turning me off big-time!!

4. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    you wonder what these refs in the box are thinking sometimes, 95% of the audience will think "yeah thats a try" then some dufus (that probably has never played the game) in the video box will flash up NO TRY

5. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Archer (was it Archer) could have solved the problem by simply awarding the try.

6. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

7. bhot

bhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    We now have two refs on the field and one for video, and they still can't get it right.
    This is a joke.

FFS Do we need two refs on Video to get things right!!!!
    We'll have f!@#$*& 12 person jury next year!!!  ::)

8. Daring Eagle

Daring Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hahaha

9. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    I thought the video ref was kind to us last Sunday.  Hasn't always been though.  Anyway I hate the Dogs so ha ha.

10. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Almost ended in  a riot, Clarke was the video ref..........

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Two referees plus video referee = games decided by referees, not players.

Solutions: Dump the extra officials, or reduce the impact of their decisions.  Rugby Union-style short-arm penalties where there may be extra tackles but not a penalty kick (or the associated delays) may well be a path forward.

12. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Dare I say it was the worst refereeing blunder to end a game since Kerrod Walters bounced the ball from a height of 2 metres and was awarded a try - Broncos vs Manly Lang Park 1990.

13. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    I also hate the dogs, although I was disappointed in the result. Funny how following your tips can conveniently sideline the hatred for just one game.

14. niccipops

niccipops un echidna spillo mia bevanda Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,519 / 50
    One of my conspiracy theories for this year is that ST George are supposed to win the '09 premiership.

These are my reasons:

1. The Nrl wants to boast about different winners each year.
    2. They have a huge support base and haven't won in ages.
    3. Wayne Bennet came to Sydney to get the Dragons a title (I don't know if any NRL big guns influenced this decision).
    4. If you watch Dragon's games they seem to get bloody good deals from refs.

This above theory might not be true, but it does make some sense.

15. bhot

bhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I also hate the dogs, although I was disappointed in the result. Funny how following your tips can conveniently sideline the hatred for just one game.
    [/quote]

I hate the dogs also.
    But why do we add referees, and still can't get it right?

16. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    I would have said the grand final where David Manson forgot how to count to 6 and Canterbury scored on the 7th was the most cutting blunder for a Manly fan.

17. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I would have said the grand final where David Manson forgot how to count to 6 and Canterbury scored on the 7th was the most cutting blunder for a Manly fan.
    [/quote]  did that *end* a game?

18. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    it did for some of us watching :)

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    If Clark's decision riled you Matas, wait till you read this:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25497942-5003409,00.html

20. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    The article calls for the abolition of the video ref.  I don't however agree that the video ref should go.  The second ref is the problem imo.  To many soft penalties.  I never minded the minutes wait while they got a decision right, and I've always wanted the video ref to rule on forward passes, especially in the movement leading up to a try.  I see the vr as a more effective assist to the ref in the middle than those muppets who run the sideline and can't see a forward pass when it's in front of them.