1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NRL's 40/20 rule is run by ballboys

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Brissie Kid, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    Just to show how out of control the NRL is for this year they added that insane 40/20 quick tap rule, where playing against no defence is supposed to pass as great rugby league!

But to top that off it's a rule reliant entirely on the whim of a 12 year old boy who is aligned with one of the two clubs playing the game!

He can choose how quickly or not he runs up field with the ball so a tap can be taken or not.

We all saw what happened after DCE's 40/20 last night.

A so called professional sport reliant on schoolboys. Laughable.

• Like Like x 5
  2. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    The new 40/20 rule is a farce. I think the defending team should be allowed to have a set line. Right now the rules are inconsistent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
  4. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    The Souths ballboys agree with you.

5. castle eagle

castle eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

newcastle
    Ratings:
    +644 / 6
    isn't anyone going to say it?

ok i will
    'there's got to be an investigation'

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    All clubs to employ professional ball boys to stand on the 20 metre line all game in case a 40/20 happens.
    Have them doing drills at training practising catching, sprinting and placing ball on ground.
    Their wages counted in the cap of course.

7. shawn.b

shawn.b Active Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +54 / 0
    What was wrong with having a scrum?

It gave the defending team time to set their defence & the attacking team the chance to run a set play against a defence with 6 players in the scrum.

8. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    Should we be surprised? It was this same dopey organisation who thought the "power play" rule was worth a trial. That was the one where one team gets to choose two players in the other team who have to leave the field so its then its 13 v 11 for 5 minutes.

9. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    So this time last week we pointed out the problem of a rule reliant on 12 year old boys but everyone but Manly laughed it off as not important. Now the Eels have been robbed of 2 competition points and everyone is asking how could the NRL have allowed this to happen?

10. Central Coast Eagle

Central Coast Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 2
    Maybe it is time for ball men?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,525 / 32
    The ballboys are probably the cream of the crop when it comes to the officials.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    So just where does it say in this insane rule:
    1) Anything about the role of the ballboy?
    2) That the tap is allowed to be a quick tap?
    Toddy? Toddy? Anyone?

13. wedgetail eagle

wedgetail eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,723 / 10
  14. Brookie Brawler

Brookie Brawler Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +428 / 6
    Surely the NRL is the worst run professional sporting competition in the world

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brissie Kid

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    The 7 tackles 20m tap restart rule was just as ill thought out. They added it to supposedly discourage kicks over the deadball line to take out Slater etc, but forgot about what it would do to grubber kicks ingoal, forgot it would penalise missed field goal attempts & then after announcing the rule they changed it to include all 20m tap restarts no matter what the reason.

16. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,710 / 257
    Bring back the 70's rules, oh and ONE ref, and punches allowed!!

That of course is tongue in cheek, but seriously I wonder at times the thought process the NRL go through.

And I wonder how much better it would be if they consulted a group of regular game attending fans, say 2 from each club, nominated by the club to attend a weekend in Sydney in the off season prior to changing the rules.

One rule I'd like to see is the use of the stop clock.

I read where we are really getting about 52 minutes of actual play in an 80 minute game....Now I certainly don't want to see us like the NFL but there are times it could be used , after each try for example and on until the kick restart .

I think also that kicking the ball out ( near the end of the game), to be used as a time waster should be banned, perhaps in the last 20 minutes of a game the clock could be stopped on these occasions.

There's probably more places it could be used as well, again I don't want it to be like the NFL, but you have to agree 52 minutes of actual play isn't great.

17. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,476 / 42
    No excuses for the ball-boy...he should've been taken out the back and shot.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Brookie4eva

Brookie4eva Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +175 / 1
    Some ball boys are alright, the one on the bottom left went on to make something of himself ....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Matai and SBW were ballboys for the Kiwis in NZ :)

I thought that the BBs had to place the ball on the line for everything. So the SCG amd the ANZ kids just weren't up to it.

If they had transgressed against the Scumos, Greenturd woul have them demoted :cool:

20. RiverEagle

RiverEagle New Member

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 0
    At the very least, no pocket-money, or free pie and coke kiddie!

Seriously, if they are going to try and keep this 40/20 advantage-rule, from now on all ball-boys "should" be up to speed and understand to place the ball on the spot (on the 20m).

At least get consistency, but I too am far from convinced it's a good look, seeing teams goin' helter-skelter (attack and defence) to try and get a quick-tap.

It's not touch-footy (or shouldn't be!)