NRL's 40/20 rule is run by ballboys

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
HappilyManly said:
http://www.nrl.com/20-restart/tabid/10874/newsid/81184/default.aspx

Rules has just been tweaked to a tap restart after the Ref blows the whistle.

Will be interesting to see how subjective the Refs are in the time they allow for the defensive Team to get into position :cool:

.....Referees will give defending teams a reasonable time to get into position before signalling a restart of play......

Yup, fan-friggen-tastic.

Just what we need. Another rule that is subjectively enforced by the officials.

Souffs getting more cards to fall their way??

Oh wait....

Roosters coach, Trent Robinson, who is on the Committee, said the change in procedure would help eliminate confusion about when a tap restart can be taken......

There it is.

Nah, it creates confusion. Saying you have *insert definitive time* after *insert definitive action* eliminates confusion.

by Nick Tedeschi on August 18, 2014

Ballboy-Gate: Only in Rugby League. Only in our great game could we put in place a rule that swings on what a 12-year-old boy does. Only in Rugby League could a grown man who works as an official for the code blame the kid for the defeat.

The 40/20 as it currently stands is utterly ridiculous. Worse, the NRL has not clear-cut rule in place in how to deal with it. Once again the NRL has put a rule in without considering how it could be used and abused.

I understand where the NRL is coming from. They have an obsession with speed. They want to make the game faster. They think that will make the game better. But once again the NRL has missed the mark.

For starters, this is just the latest example of the NRL tangling itself up in misplaced logic, basing this rule change on the game getting slower because the NRL can’t and won’t stop wrestling. The NRL always get itself into these kind of messes with reactionary rule changes and rule interpretations.

It is also another example of the NRL’s lack of consistency. Ballboys throw the ball to players all the time. Nothing happens. It is like the quick tap. There was a big song and dance at the beginning of the year about bringing it back. It lasted a week and now refs almost never allow it.

Most pointedly though, it is this silly premise that quicker is better. It isn’t. It is a false premise. Quick taps should be part of the game but not after a 40/20.

The Eels can maybe feel a little bit hard done by on Friday night but the reality is the rule shouldn’t be there, the ballboy interpretation was correct (if dumb!) and Sandow didn’t even tap the ball. It would be nice if the NRL actually took this opportunity to be, for once, not reactionary and to actually examine how they want the game to look and be played and start putting in place a long-term plan to see this happen.

http://makingthenut.com/from-the-couch-round-23-4/

There doesn't seem much issue with the way the 20m restarts have developed. Also relies on ref subjective timing, so I can't see many problems with the fix to the 40/20 rule. Beats scrums or ballboy influence.

Doesn't beat a Ref allowing all of the defense time to get into position, thereby nullifying the original rule change to give the attacking side the advantage :cool:

Will be open to perceived favouratism by cwrtain Refs to cwrtain Teams, like the dummy half forward passes by the Scumos :mad:

HappilyManly said:
Doesn't beat a Ref allowing all of the defense time to get into position, thereby nullifying the original rule change to give the attacking side the advantage :cool:

Will be open to perceived favouratism by cwrtain Refs to cwrtain Teams, like the dummy half forward passes by the Scumos :mad:

The whole advantage of kicking the 40/20 is that you get a new set of 6 inside the opposition 20. Why add more advantage to it, that's just getting silly.

So lets just keep it that we have a normal tap, once the teams are both in position and get on with it

As someone has previously stated, and Freddy too when it happened to us against the rabbits, all there needs to be is a ball placed next to a flag on the 20. Problem solved.

Dan said:
So lets just keep it that we have a normal tap, once the teams are both in position and get on with it

That is not the new rule, the discretion of when to tap is wholly with the Ref - hence the subjective angle that will result in inconsistent rulings :cool:

I don't understand how this tweak today is a fix.

HappilyManly said:
Dan said:

That is not the new rule, the discretion of when to tap is wholly with the Ref - hence the subjective angle that will result in inconsistent rulings :cool:

I don't understand how this tweak today is a fix.

yep i know that is not the new rule, i was suggesting it should be the new rule. Set the same as you set a scrum or the tap from a penalty kick

HappilyManly said:

I would expect play will resume the moment the ref is on the 10 metre line, and any defenders taking their time, do so to their own detriment.

Hamster Huey said:
I would expect play will resume the moment the ref is on the 10 metre line, and any defenders taking their time, do so to their own detriment.
That seems to be the idealistic view of the NRL too.

Whereas I am expecting defending Captains to start a heated discussion with the Ref or another Player to even feign an injury to stop the momentum of the 40/20 advantage :cool:

I was much more comfortable having the ball boys being responsible for the restart of play rather than the likes of Hayne and Ceccin. I was actually hoping the ball boys would eventually take over all the officiating. What a wasted opportunity.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toddy's new rule is just as farcical as the old one!!!!!!!!!!

The answer to ballboys throwing the ball is watching attackers wait to tap while defences straggle back onside!!!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/G7b_ws507JQ[/video]

"Reasonable Time" should be no longer than a set amount of time...e.g. 10 seconds. If players can't get back onside by then....hell, some of them can run the 100 in that time and we're not likely to see a 40/20 kicked from your own goal line, most will come from within 5m of the 40.

Why on earth they felt the need to change it from a scrum to a tap re-start is beyond me. Having a scrum worked, there was nothing wrong with it. Someone should remind the NRL of the old saying "If it ain't broke...don't fix it".

The whistle should have restarted the moment the two refs were in position; perhaps waited a couple of seconds too long with that effort.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2