Newcastle - 1997

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
My memory is fading. Does anyone remember the Knights players that were found to be using performance enhancing drugs before and after that terrible day.

Adam mac dougal was one , the fullback was another forgot his name ..

jjai said:
Adam mac dougal was one , the fullback was another forgot his name ..

Robbie O davis..

wayne richards (think he went to souffs the next year??), robbie O'davis and Mad dog macdougall all got suspended for usage.

hope they have suffered the side effects for roid use :)

Brookvale said:
wayne richards (think he went to souffs the next year??), robbie O'davis and Mad dog macdougall all got suspended for usage.

hope they have suffered the side effects for roid use :)

Just because of that the Grand Final should have been nullified or we played 3rd place in a replay, thought it was BS @ the time the way it was kept all quiet just because Newcastle had finally won a GF,looked good for Arko(No disrespect legend good half back played in our 1st ever gf) & quayle a non Sydney NSW team winning for once ..

Rodney Howe (was at Melbourne in 1998 when he was caught and at the Reds in 97 but played with Newcastle until 95 I think so had the drugs attitude)
McDougall
O'Davis

These 3 got charged within 3 weeks of each other from what I remember

Can't remember Wayne Richards but a lot of you are mentioning him so I'll agree

I bet Albert was on something as well the dirty prick didn't get caught though.

and wayne richards was a forward. Throw in johns (on amphetamines which for some reason keep being described as not performance-enhancing--excuse me but they were invented to make airforce pilots go better and longer) and you have 4 of the starting 13.

robbie o: 2 tries, churchill medalist;
mad dog: steps on toovey's face deliberately, causing him to go off for some running repairs.
johns, comes up with the winning play.

I wish I could say good luck to them, good win, first premiership, fair and square and all that. NO. it was a disgrace covered over in the sensitive superleague war times. And it played a big part in manly's demise as the difference between winning and losing a gf, going back to back, etc. is lived out in lost financial prizemoney, sponsorships, players leaving who might otherwise have stayed, etc. And manly were psychologically shot to pieces over that 80th minute defeat for a long time (I know I was!).

their gf history would be better off starting with the upset win over the eels, led by johns (still on the go pills) and ben kennedy.

Some old scar tissue there

DSM5 said:
Andrew Johns outed himself as a drug user during that season.

You're mixing up the polarity.
Joey was indulging in party drugs after games. He was on performance detracting drugs when the rest of his team were on performance enhansing drugs.
Joey should be given a freakin medal. His boys were on 'roids while he was screwing his recovery time yet he was still the best player in the team. It's like turning up to work pissed every day & being employee of the year. If you can pull it off, all power to you. Big up.
As for his 'roid cheat, dog team mates, they are scum. They cheated & still weren't half the players their captain was when he was holding himself back.

I know for a fact if I could turn up to work, off guts every day & still be the best in my team, I'd do it. Why the hell not? It's like saying "I can beat you with one arm tied behind my back".

Granted, johns was not on a performance-enhancing drug regime (as far as we know) but recreational drug-taking/self-medicating his psychological issues.

still, interesting it was these that seemed to fit best; the amphetamine and amphetamine-combo type drugs. compared to lots of booze or dope, these are going to let you play a much better game of footy....

Not really interested in judging him personally here--we all have our demons--but if I was going to self-medicate as a top level athlete I'd be gravitating the same way he was. it's not like turning up to work pissed or stoned (I'm qualified to venture an opinion here :) more like ready to get those feet dancing.

more blame really to the culture up there at newcastle and even across the nrl as it seemed to be general knowledge.

but even 3/13 confirmed drug cheats is enough to qualify for an annulment of that 97 premierhip in my view. one of them was m.o.m.

It's a ludicrous notion to suggest that eccie's and the like could in any way help your performance. Ridiculous.

There is no way that speed or ecstasy could be considered performance enhancing. Apart from hugging in tackles i guess

IMT, you're talking as if he was pinging during games. No way that happened.
He would've just been suffering the after effects. Worse than a hangover, or so I'm told.

Daniel said:
There is no way that speed or ecstasy could be considered performance enhancing. Apart from hugging in tackles i guess

Might give you a bit of tunnel vision with blury edges and sparkles whilst kicking goals from the sideline though!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6