• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
The coaching landscapeis difficult to gauge. Des was washed up with the Dogs. Tooves struggled as the squad weakened and had some really poor moments like not having a goal kicker (remember DCE saying he'd do it but no one asked him). Madge was good but also managed to turn an owner and team that won the comp against him. Henry - yeah he's an old coach but he's not that great and I always confuse him with Matt Elliott. Tim Sheens is almost 70. Who does that leave? Carty? I don't mind him but he doesn't look like he has the minerals for it. I think he'll get it though. This is all so boring though...

You're right @Loobs, interesting all this coaching talk.

Not sure if anyone cares or watched the FFA Cup during the week but Apia Leichhardt beat Melbourne Victory or if this is even relevant.
Apia are in the State League and it's probably their best achievement since they won the old NSL in 1987.

Anyway they interviewed their coach after showing all the player celebrations etc, asked him if he was going to join in etc
To paraphrase his response "Nah, I'm the coach, I just pick the team and run the training sessions.....and yeah, we think we can win the whole thing"

Simples really or maybe not.

Whatever coach we end up with and it seems a race in two between Henry and Cartwright it could be just right - old school attitude, play hard, run hard, tackle hard.
Hopefully our voodoo doll of the past few years is replaced by the planets aligning regardless.

PS Loobs - I started typing Elliott instead of Henry too.

Was Cartwright in the Coach's Box last night? Only saw Barrett but may have been camera angle.
Carty was far left of screen

(pointing to Baz :giggle:)
giphy.gif

Just a thought if Cartwright is our head coach next year he won’t be defence coach anymore. That means he can pick the best defence coach for our team. Simples.
Defence is number 1 priority. Praying we get the right man for the job. Turbo can score 100 tries on his own. (And probly will). We sort our defence and we back in bussiness baby.

Just a thought if Cartwright is our head coach next year he won’t be defence coach anymore. That means he can pick the best defence coach for our team. Simples.
Yeah im happy for Cartwright to get the gig. Atleast he knows the manly system and players. The most important thing is the right coaching staff to back him up especially a top defencive coach

Frank Stokes and Sideline Eye, I take your points, which are good ones. I was really throwing the information out there and reminding that this guy has been Barrett's back up for the past few seasons, and yet look at the result. However I will concede that Cartwright didn't have much to work with at the Titans, and certainly the roster we have is significantly better than he has previously coached. I hope you guys are right to back him. I'll reserve judgement.

Bearfax,

I never said I back Carty just wanted to justified the situation he faced at the Titans.

I can only throw my support to the next coach Manly appoint.

Manly have had three coaches in their history who did not play for ,nor had any association with, Manly in the past in Sharp, Barrett and Lowe all of which, with the exception of Lowe who had some success with Manly due to their ties to NZ at the time, proved a failure. My preference would be for a coach who knows Manly's culture and bleeds maroon and white whether it be Toovey, Hasler or someone else.

Bearfax,

I never said I back Carty just wanted to justified the situation he faced at the Titans.

I can only throw my support to the next coach Manly appoint.

Manly have had three coaches in their history who did not play for ,nor had any association with, Manly in the past in Sharp, Barrett and Lowe all of which, with the exception of Lowe who had some success with Manly due to their ties to NZ at the time, proved a failure. My preference would be for a coach who knows Manly's culture and bleeds maroon and white whether it be Toovey, Hasler or someone else.

Agree Sideline ... I will also support whoever is appointed Manly coach ...

However in the interests of balanced reporting I will add that whilst Manly have had 3 non Manly coaches not to have delivered a Premiership .... we have had 17 Manly coaches that have also failed to deliver a Premiership ...

Agree Sideline ... I will also support whoever is appointed Manly coach ...

However in the interests of balanced reporting I will add that whilst Manly have had 3 non Manly coaches not to have delivered a Premiership .... we have had 17 Manly coaches that have also failed to deliver a Premiership ...

Agreed.

But is winning a premiership the only definition of success to you.or being competitive and regularly appearing in finals throughout the teams history?

Agreed.

But is winning a premiership the only definition of success to you.or being competitive and regularly appearing in finals throughout the teams history?

Certainly not .... that is why I used the term "failed to deliver a Premiership" .... which as you intimate, appears to be the only criteria by many.

Also ... as only about 8% of coaches will ever win a Premiership ... the easiest job for any would be Nostradamis would be to predict their "failure" ...

I believe the role of a coach is crucial ... however I also believe that many factors outside the role of a coach have also got to align for success to be achieved ....

My point was simply that we say we have only had "success" with ex-Manly coaches ... but in reality have never really tried the alternative with any true effort ...

Certainly not .... that is why I used the term "failed to deliver a Premiership" .... which as you intimate, appears to be the only criteria by many.

Also ... as only about 8% of coaches will ever win a Premiership ... the easiest job for any would be Nostradamis would be to predict their "failure" ...

I believe the role of a coach is crucial ... however I also believe that many factors outside the role of a coach have also got to align for success to be achieved ....

My point was simply that we say we have only had "success" with ex-Manly coaches ... but in reality have never really tried the alternative with any true effort ...

Sorry Woodsie but in fact your reply earlier did in fact imply delivery of a premiership warrants success.

I agree it takes more that just being an ex Manly player to taste success but understanding the culture does help.

As I mentioned earlier I am happy to support any coach who Manly appoint whether it be an ex Manly player or not but to say Manly have "never really tried the alternative with any true effort" is a fallacy.

PS by alternative I assume you mean the Club has never done their homework when appointing coaches.

Sorry Woodsie but in fact your reply earlier did in fact imply delivery of a premiership warrants success.

I agree it takes more that just being an ex Manly player to taste success but understanding the culture does help.

As I mentioned earlier I am happy to support any coach who Manly appoint whether it be an ex Manly player or not but to say Manly have "never really tried the alternative with any true effort" is a fallacy.

PS by alternative I assume you mean the Club has never done their homework when appointing coaches.

We will disagree ... by adding "to deliver a Premiership " is indicative that I have other criteria by which I would also judge ...

also I think that by only appointing 4 non manly coaches out of a total of 23/4 coaches can hardly be seen as exploring the alternatives with any gusto ... how that is a fallacy I don't know ..

Anyway ... these are beside the point that I was making .... I agree with you that whoever is appointed Manly coach will have my support .

The coaching landscape is difficult to gauge. Des was washed up with the Dogs. Tooves struggled as the squad weakened and had some really poor moments like not having a goal kicker (remember DCE saying he'd do it but no one asked him). Madge was good but also managed to turn an owner and team that won the comp against him. Henry - yeah he's an old coach but he's not that great and I always confuse him with Matt Elliott. Tim Sheens is almost 70. Who does that leave? Carty? I don't mind him but he doesn't look like he has the minerals for it. I think he'll get it though. This is all so boring...
Loobs how on earth could you confuse Matt Henry and Neil Elliot . Jeeez.

We will disagree ... by adding "to deliver a Premiership " is indicative that I have other criteria by which I would also judge ...

also I think that by only appointing 4 non manly coaches out of a total of 23/4 coaches can hardly be seen as exploring the alternatives with any gusto ... how that is a fallacy I don't know ..

Anyway ... these are beside the point that I was making .... I agree with you that whoever is appointed Manly coach will have my support .

Woodsie,

Whether its 4 out of 23 or 10 is irrespective of the time and effort Manly have put into searching for a suitable coach.

Nonetheless, we can only hope whoever the new coach will be and whichever player chooses to remains the team is successful making this season a distant memory.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10