Michael Maguire update

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Not saying he is a bad coach, I think he would be a huge improvement on Barrett. I just can't see him being the messiah many on here believe he could be. He has been successful in taking basket cases and making them acceptable again, in that sense he would be a great sight to see at Manly right now. But a premiership or another golden age? I'm not convinced. My main point is this: If he, or whoever we do replace Barrett with, comes to Manly to do what they have done everywhere else as just another coaching gig then we will improve, but most likely not return to our past dominance. If he or another comes to the club determined to restore the Manly of old or to prove themselves and is willing to take their commitment all the way with the current owners then we have a chance, but, right now, I can't see this in Cleary.

Muzz even a champion coach isnt going to win you a premiership without the cattle. Even the great Jack Gibson was found wanting in that respect. Sure he won premierships with top talent at Sydney City in '74 and '75 and Parramatta in '81, '82 and '83. But its easy to forget his stints at South Sydney in '78 and '79 when the team came in 7th and 9th or the Cronulla Sharks from '85 to '87 when that team came in 8th, 10th and 8th. Great coaches are almost always supported by top tier cattle. Cleary has not yet had that opportunity to display his wares with top talent.

Muzz even a champion coach isnt going to win you a premiership without the cattle. Even the great Jack Gibson was found wanting in that respect. Sure he won premierships with top talent at Sydney City in '74 and '75 and Parramatta in '81, '82 and '83. But its easy to forget his stints at South Sydney in '78 and '79 when the team came in 7th and 9th or the Cronulla Sharks from '85 to '87 when that team came in 8th, 10th and 8th. Great coaches are almost always supported by top tier cattle. Cleary has not yet had that opportunity to display his wares with top talent.
.....and you think that in coming to Manly (in its current state) he will be given those opportunities along with a more functional management? He hasn't had THAT type of success with other clubs, why Manly?

.....and you think that in coming to Manly (in its current state) he will be given those opportunities along with a more functional management? He hasn't had THAT type of success with other clubs, why Manly?

Then it doesn't matter which coach you bring in if the club aren't going to support him with top tier talent. You may as well get Griffin. But Cleary will do better than most in at least moving Manly up the table, even with what we have now.

Maguire is a massive improvement on Barrett when taking into consideration what our squad needs right now. The man won a premiership with Souths no less, won everything on offer in a glittering Superleague career, and is big on discipline and player fitness. By the time he left the Bunnies he’d lost quite a few of his strike players to injury or because they signed with other clubs, and things appeared to get a little stale. But you don’t break a title drought like he did and deal with all the pressure associated with not winning one for so many years at a big club like Souths if you can’t coach.

There is nothing wrong with our cattle, our problems are the results of very poor admin and coaching... period.

Culture, money, support and facilities.

The Greenturd attack on us would have been used to fuel our fire in the past.

Manly defiance, will and pride are what is missing and "the club" needs to return them.

Then it doesn't matter which coach you bring in if the club aren't going to support him with top tier talent. You may as well get Griffin. But Cleary will do better than most in at least moving Manly up the table, even with what we have now.
But that's my point - there is no established 1st grade coach that we can expect to deliver better than average performances, those that do exist are desired elsewhere and Manly does not have the resources to fight for them. Maguire or Cleary would both be an improvement in my eyes, but premiership winners? No.
If you want a winning coach to come to Manly you need to roll the dice on someone who either has the passion for the club or a desire to prove themselves and risk failure. Remember both Hasler and Bellamy were not established 1st grade coaches when they started at Manly and the Scum.

I couldn't possibly think of anyone in their right mind who would want to join this basket case of a club (player or coach). It would have to be a Cliffy style of person who would do it coz they're passionate about resurrecting their home side. You can forget the top shelf blokes, they wouldn't do it to themselves

There is nothing wrong with our cattle, our problems are the results of very poor admin and coaching... period.

Culture, money, support and facilities.

The Greenturd attack on us would have been used to fuel our fire in the past.

Manly defiance, will and pride are what is missing and "the club" needs to return them.

There's plenty wrong with the cattle.

Apart from 6 players the rest would struggle to start at most other clubs. Our depth is ****.

And can people stop asking for ****ing Des?

There is no way they would want him back and there's no way I want him back. The club is already in salary cap trouble. We dont need him to come here, back end contracts and **** it up for another 10 years like he's done at the Bulldogs.

Sounds like barretts gone. Would definitely prefer someone with experience aka Maguire. Not another rookie aka Melbourne storn assistants. Personally id like dessy back ....
Why would Maguire come here? We have an ordinary roster, cant recruit anyone and have no support from the owners or the office. When he won a comp he had an amazing owner giving him he everything he needed to succeed. He'd get nothing from the Pennis family and all that would happen is that his reputation and value as a coach would suffer. Only an idiot or someone desperate like Barrett or Cartwright would take the job. Anyone that takes a job coaching Manly under the current ownership is on a hiding to nothing. We can only recruit journeyman players and that's all we can except at the moment from a coach.

But that's my point - there is no established 1st grade coach that we can expect to deliver better than average performances, those that do exist are desired elsewhere and Manly does not have the resources to fight for them. Maguire or Cleary would both be an improvement in my eyes, but premiership winners? No.
If you want a winning coach to come to Manly you need to roll the dice on someone who either has the passion for the club or a desire to prove themselves and risk failure. Remember both Hasler and Bellamy were not established 1st grade coaches when they started at Manly and the Scum.

Hasler and Bellamy were not first grade coaches when they started but they accumulated the best players in their team. Both are fine coaches but they've had the advantages others such as Barrett and Cleary have not had. Cleary has learned his skills with a minimum of talent. To me that makes him a hardened and effective proposition. Easier to win when you have a silver spoon in your mouth. Having to fight from the bottom and make a mark is much harder and makes in my mind a better coach. They know how to tough it out.

There's plenty wrong with the cattle.

Apart from 6 players the rest would struggle to start at most other clubs.

Well buddy, we disagree. The cattle we have is the cattle WE CAN AFFORD because we can't generate 3M in TPA's.
It is as simple as that.
Get over it, stop whingeing about it and try to add something constructive.

I believe our best 19 are finalists under capable management and coaching.

Please name those 6 players so I can figure out who wouldn't get a FG start anywhere else.

Would anyone on here consider Phil Blake
Been coaching rugby as a defensive coach ( wallabies , English rugby teams )
Manly junior
Could we be any worse off ????
I think this really shows how bad the defence can be in union....I mean Blake was an Amazing attacking player, but defence was average on a good day...
Gillespie, Gibbs, Beaver, Spud - Terry Randall ....these blokes could show this current group how to tackle, with Jake and Thompson the only 2 who get it done every weekend.

Well buddy, we disagree. The cattle we have is the cattle WE CAN AFFORD because we can't generate 3M in TPA's.
It is as simple as that.
Get over it, stop whingeing about it and try to add something constructive.

I believe our best 19 are finalists under capable management and coaching.

Please name those 6 players so I can figure out who wouldn't get a FG start anywhere else.

Definite starters at other clubs

Turbo1
Turbo2
Taupau
Walker
DCE
Maybe AFB

Bench/Reserve Grade

Kelly
Thompson
Taufua
Lane