Message from Warringah Mayor

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It looks as if it is a direct response to some kind of correspondence from the original poster @ManlyArmy. Maybe he can clarify.
Yes but there is a similar message with a few less details on the Warringah Council site

He gives credit to the FC as being the ones responsible for only two games being played away from Brookie each year. If true it sounds like a good idea to support the FC as long as they comit to at least 10 games a year at brookie
The FC is supporting the Sea Eagles campaign, and has asked FC members to write to council about the 'outrageous hiring fees' and to complain that Council 'immediately rejected the proposal and have shown no appetite for negotiation'. (I take it that is the proposal that was never put in negotiations but only floated in the media - according to the Mayor??)
Contact Warringah Council Directly [Link Inside]

I'm no fan of the Penns following the 2V episode. But I wonder how much is being unsaid from both parties. The Mayor gives a good explanation, but, as I understand it they are responsible for the maintenance of the ground and players from other clubs consistently complain about the condition of the ground. And what happened to the promises from the Fed and State Govts...up in smoke and who's fault was that. And one wonders what the agenda is with the Penns painting an increasingly dim picture.They know other clubs using the stadiums are getting use of those grounds for almost nothing. Are they trying a PR job to justify getting out of Brookvale.

Personally I would like to see the ground take in other sports such as soccer, maybe union to help share the costs and make the ground worthy as the Stadium of the North. Little wonder the League and Govts are reluctant to pay out big for a ground almost exclusively used for one sport. If we want the stadium at Brookie, we need to show it serves the community as a whole.

Manly council have not told anyone how much the carpark is going to cost and they have just asked for tenders to be submitted to construct the car park

I fail to see how a council can continue with committing ratepayers to a project that is going to be the largest amount of money ever spent by the council when amalgamations are underway.

The are also a huge cost to assess tenders etc that council has no idea how much it will be

Surely they have to put the process on hold until the merger has taken place as the new council may not want the carpark?
I agree with you, but find me the legislation/ruling/whatever that says they (Manly Council) can't legally do what they're planning to do at Manly Oval, under the current guidelines. Warringah are probably doing similar things (check out the local government tenders page in the SMH for example) for what they might be up to - like the Belrose Theatre upgrade, or just some curbing or guttering work, etc.

It's not the same as a leasing arrangement between the LGA and a sporting body, which Regan is referring to. Hence my call on its relevance.

If, as the Mayor says, the club has not made Council an official offer then I feel used - and I expect all fans feel likewise. I have written to the Council at the urging of Kelly, in support of the club. But it seem like we only were told a one-sided view of the issue.
As one earlier poster noted: Why has the hiring of Brookvale Oval only become an issue now that the Penns have full ownership of the club? We've been playing there for almost 70 years, seemingly without such angst.

And why have they waited until this year to propose they take over a significant portion of the ground maintenance? I asked Lowe that question when he was the CEO and received a bland response. However Blind Freddy could see that that was an obvious first step in resolving the Oval's problems, years ago.

The truth is out there, somewhere in the middle of this 'He said, He said' dispute.

It is up to kelly and the Penns to come out and respond ASAP.

Maybe they are waiting for the Fulton family to write the response. Cement truck for Regan.

He gives credit to the FC as being the ones responsible for only two games being played away from Brookie each year. If true it sounds like a good idea to support the FC as long as they comit to at least 10 games a year at brookie.

Can the Penns buyout the FC shares and dictate where games are played?
classic!

Whilst the Eels about to aquire a brand new 32000 seat - state of the art stadium, fit for a king - FORAN@;), the Eagles have to hire their own lawnmower, to mow the lawns of our 1970's style dog track !

Which leads to the question - are the eels the new Silvertails ?
A diamond in the rough hey?

If all the figures stated are correct then is the asking price that unfair?
And why has the hire cost only become an issue since the Penns took over? Has the price dramatically increased in the last few years or has it been on a slow increase over the last decade?
I don't pay enough attention to keep track of all the spin from both sides but the fact is the Penns are business people. They want to make money. They might say the are in it for the love of the Sea Eagles but the reality is they want to make money. Bullying suppliers to cut costs (Coles and Woolies style) is probably the norm in their business method of operation. So no suprises they're adopting the same tactics here.

Bash the council and get the price reduced = Penns win
Council won't budge, blame council, move games away from Brookie and make more money
= Penns win.

No brainer
Mate you are absolutely spot on. I've spent many years selling and negotiating with Coles and Woolworths and they are ruthless. It's those that show the most ruthlessness that make the most money. Penns are no different. It's a harsh old game in the corporate world where no prisoners are taken.

Forget Joe Kelly, he is irrelevant in any of the shenanighans surounding the MWSE business.

PENN is behind all decisions, and all machinations of the business! The PENN is mightier than the JOKER. The JOKER is the puppet, and the PENN pulls the strings

That is the really sad part. That such a f***ed up club like the Speels have a home ground like Pirtek Stadium while we play out of a throwback to the 70's.

Don't get me wrong, I know we love Brookie.....but who here would argue if they ever tore the place down and built something like a Pirtek or Gosford in its place? (i.e. a 20-25k all-seat stadium in which the NRL allows us to play home finals).

The problem? While Pirtek has two national sports league tenants and is essentially used year round as a major venue, Brookvale only has Manly and is used for major sports only 11 or so times per year. Plus, Sydney's western suburbs are seen as a growth area and governments see votes when they approve things like major community improvements.

Last edited:
That is the really sad part. That such a f***ed up club like the Speels have a home ground like Pirtek Stadium while we play out of a throwback to the 70's.

Don't get me wrong, I know we love Brookie.....but who here would argue if they ever tore the place down and built something like a Pirtek or Gosford in its place? (i.e. a 20-25k all-seat stadium in which the NRL allows us to play home finals).

The problem? While Pirtek has two national sports league tenants and is essentially used year round as a major venue, Brookvale only has Manly and is used for major sports only 11 or so times per year. Plus, Sydney's western suburbs are seen as a growth area and governments see votes when they approve things like major community improvements.

I'd argue.
I'm not being condescending, I just know you live in Adelaide, have you ever been to Parra Stadium or Gosford?

They are the two most uncomfortable stadiums in the league. The seats and aisles are packed too close together and the corridors and outlets can't handle the sudden rushes you get when everyone wants a drink or to find their seat or to leave. Those grounds are an absolute nightmare and I won't go to them as I'm in a foul mood the second I set foot in them, which can lead to trouble at a footy game.

Our 70's stadium has character, views and comfort for people who would rather stand than sit. It should also be cheap to maintain comparatively. Everyone wins.
Yet somehow we seem to be losing out.

Funny, this morning we were coming home from Warriewood Square, and we saw suited men and women walking around Rat Park very deep in conversation. They were walking around the perimeter and pointing out to all different parts of the Park. Could this be the first part of Manly going to Rat Park?

I'd argue.
I'm not being condescending, I just know you live in Adelaide, have you ever been to Parra Stadium or Gosford?

They are the two most uncomfortable stadiums in the league. The seats and aisles are packed too close together and the corridors and outlets can't handle the sudden rushes you get when everyone wants a drink or to find their seat or to leave. Those grounds are an absolute nightmare and I won't go to them as I'm in a foul mood the second I set foot in them, which can lead to trouble at a footy game.

Our 70's stadium has character, views and comfort for people who would rather stand than sit. It should also be cheap to maintain comparatively. Everyone wins.
Yet somehow we seem to be losing out.
Except when it rains and our attendance is down by almost 50%

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4