MERGED: Board Issues Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lovefooty said:
WAMF said:
The article states that he was allowed $400 per day.
That would make it $146,000 per year.
Over three years that would make it $438,000

The article says that the amounts 'out' and then 'back' were 'almost' $500,000 over 3 years.

So I'm not entirely sure what to make of all this.

I asked this question and it was over 5 years and ticked off and approved at the time but since he came off the board a few have thought, lets get him and make him look bad. Thats all i'm going to say as he is a mate. He can speak for himself. PS Branson (QC) is a close mate of his and mine. PPS They are suing the tele and Throthfield for defamation

The Tele are going to be sick and tired of paying defamation damages to people at Manly if true one would have thought they'd learned with Stewart.

Matabele said:
The Tele are going to be sick and tired of paying defamation damages to people at Manly if true one would have thought they'd learned with Stewart.

They will likely just raise the price of Foxtel.

I like Bob. I know he has the clubs interest at heart and I am beginning to see how this is more of a political issue than one of trust.

Inquiry into Reilly 'not related' to politicking
Rugby League

28 Aug 12 @ 05:51pm by Jon Geddes

Manly Leagues Club chairman David Costello.

MANLY Leagues Club chairman David Costello says the current investigation in the expenses of former board member Bob Reilly has nothing to do with any powerplay at the Sea Eagles.

"This is all to do with Manly Leagues Club and the board's determination to ensure that things are done correctly," Mr Costello said.

Chris Branson QC, the barrister for Mr Reilly, has claimed that the investigation went back "to the dirty politics behind who wants to get control of the Sea Eagles".

"It is a predictable but disappointing distraction that Mr Branson on behalf of Mr Reilly is talking about vendettas and control of the Sea Eagles," Mr Costello said.

"The Manly Warringah Leagues Club operate independently of the Sea Eagles."

Mr Costello said that at a leagues club board meeting on Monday night reaffirmed support for everything that was underway at the moment.

Retired taxation investigator Warwick Bulmer was appointed to fill one of the board positions vacated by Kerry Sibraa and Cliff Lyons.

Mr Bulmer is a life member of the Manly-Warringah Junior Rugby League and the district club.

He is also well-known as the man who leads the Sea Eagle in the singing of the club song after games.

Anyway guys. It's all speculations and propaganda until the matters have been clearly, openly and transparently discussed and addressed hopefully behind closed doors.

As Manly fans, lets just focus on the important things, and that is B2B only (and poor old Wolfman ! :( )

Lets galvanise, and rise above the the garbage being written here, and focus our energies into cheering the lads home.

People gossiping, arguing, guessing about these types of matters really aren't doing the club, front office, the players or the fans any good.

Cheers guys.

lovefooty said:
WAMF said:
The article states that he was allowed $400 per day.
That would make it $146,000 per year.
Over three years that would make it $438,000

The article says that the amounts 'out' and then 'back' were 'almost' $500,000 over 3 years.

So I'm not entirely sure what to make of all this.

I asked this question and it was over 5 years and ticked off and approved at the time but since he came off the board a few have thought, lets get him and make him look bad. Thats all i'm going to say as he is a mate. He can speak for himself. PS Branson (QC) is a close mate of his and mine. PPS They are suing the tele and Throthfield for defamation

Lovefooty are you saying that the board approved all of the transactions?

I wouldnt say "cashing cheques" up to $20K at a club on the verge of bankruptcy would be considered micro?

Matabele said:
Should a Board really be involved in micro-management to that extent Tookey?

Depends on the governance rules of the entity. From my experience any expenditure for directors that is not within limits on any delegation of authority matrix or something similar would need to be approved or noted by the board. But each company is different.

Matabele said:
Should a Board really be involved in micro-management to that extent Tookey?

I would be surprised is there wasn't something in the registered clubs act which required disclosure by a director to the board of transactions of any nature involving a director and the club.

Even if there wasn't anything in the act commonsense would dictate that a director would disclose the transactions voluntarily to the board to ensure that they couldn't be falsely accused of any wrongdoing.

Bob Reilly appears to have borrowed the limit already set by the club.
No monies or assets have been unaccounted for (unlike that fridge that mysteriously went missing) otherwise this would have been included in the DT's reprint of Zorbas version of events.

Zorba has been pushing this barrow for at least the last month.
Telling everyone that something big is about to go down at the club.
Every time the heat was put on Zorba, this is the line he would trot out, as if it were some kind of distraction to his own shortcomings and motivations.

If this wasn't a political **** fight, Zorba wouldn't have tried to score points on this like he's attempted to do.

If this wasn't politically motivated, Zorba would have kept his big trap shut and the Leagues Club would have resolved this behind closed doors.

If this isn't all about politics, why has Zorba been forecasting doom and gloom publicly, for well over a month now?

This was the big big story that was set to shock the universe, remember?

I am going to put an end to this thread now. It is pure speculation, we do not know the details beyond what has been reported and happy to let all investigations take place and the entire matter to run it's course

Board Issues

Manly in a mess as board members go to war over Perry appointment
by: Josh Massoud From: The Daily Telegraph August 31, 2012 12:00AM

MANLY'S finals charge would not be complete without another boardroom implosion.

And with September just one sleep away, the Sea Eagles have produced a fresh outbreak of hostilities that could dwarf all previous episodes.

We can exclusively reveal minority shareholder Penn Sport Pty Ltd has engaged its lawyer to rescind the recent contract extension of general manager David Perry, even though they don't want to lose the highly-regarded official.

That's correct: the chairman's (Scott Penn) company is threatening legal action to overturn the re-appointment of the club's highest-ranking administrator.

Right on cue. And only at Brookvale.

Penn last night said he was supportive of a contract extension and had only taken this step in protest of the process that led to Perry signing his new deal on July 25.

Perry confirmed the turn of events last night but just how did the latest war within Australian sport's most embittered boardroom erupt?

Discussion around Perry's contract extension began mid-year, before he fronted the entire board in late June. They all agreed he was the right man for the job.

It was proposed that he be offered a new three-year deal under the new title of general manager, which only needs a simple majority of the board's seven directors.

Had Perry's new contract been framed as a CEO appointment, Penn directors claim a 75 per cent majority would have been required.

Despite opposition on some of the formalities from the three Penn representatives, the motion was carried by a single vote thanks to remaining directors Darrell Williams, Bob Reilly, Phil Sidney and Drew Townsend.

But earlier this month - about a fortnight after Perry signed the contract - the Penns sent a multi-page legal letter to each of the directors who voted in favour.

"There's legal action ... and my job as chairman is to make sure we've got good governance," Penn said last night. "I want to be clear that we (Penn Sport) are very supportive of a contract extension for David Perry.

"But we need to go about it the right way."

The letter foreshadows court action to rescind Perry's contract and also claim any damages that result.

We're told the letter claims Perry's re-appointment was in breach of the privatised club's constitution.

Penn Sport claims a 75 per cent majority was needed to delegate those powers to one director. It also maintains Perry has effectively been made CEO, nullifying the 4-3 vote and requiring a 75 per cent majority to validate the appointment.

The four directors have responded with their own legal letter, refuting the allegations.

And that's where this saga is poised, with Penn only returning to Australia from a business trip to the USA this week.

For the record, Perry's new deal does not take effect until November 1.

PENN jetted back to Australia just in time for Manly's scheduled board meeting last night, which we expect would have been interesting to say the least given developments.

But to his dismay the meeting has now been postponed until next week, with the venue also switched from Manly Leagues Club to ensure Reilly's attendance.

As revealed this week, the Sea Eagles deputy chairman cannot enter the licensed premises as a result of surrendering his membership last week. But what hasn't been revealed is that club great Cliff Lyons and Kerry Sibraa - a former president of the Senate - both resigned from the leagues club board in support of Reilly.

RE: Board Issues

dont you love how power struggles end with all the toys out of the cot. Its getting so tiresome really, especially it all in the media. There some A class idiots in this spat. Its like an Italian parliment

Penn Sport Pty Ltd has engaged its lawyer to rescind the recent contract extension of general manager David Perry, even though they don't want to lose the highly-regarded official

We want you but

As always sorting fact from fiction is difficult, but I think this is about process - the point seems to be that Perry was given greater authority by this appointment than was coonstitutionally allowed. oh and that Penn is increasingly appearing to be a prat

I seem to recall at the time of the appointment that Penn clan wanted Perfy but wanted some KPIs or the like. I just hope Perry doesn't give them a big FU

It's fine, no disruption to the club's players will take place. Reason is I can't figure out what the hell is going, plus no-one can really. And the players have no chance, they just want to play footy and win. It does sort of make us a laughing stock though, don't see this kind of crap over at Belmore, do we.

You really wouldnt blame Perry if Nov 1 came around and he just handed in his notice
Why does Penn have to make it all about himself

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8