1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matthew Wright

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Snake, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

Ratings:
    +2,523 / 134
    I don't want to be overly negative but I really hope there are some plans for a winger with more speed for next season because Wright is way too slow to be a FG winger. I was concerned about his speed when we signed him and yesterday my fears were realised. A couple of times there were opportunities down the flank and he failed to capitalise because he is simply not fast enough.

He is far from the worst backup winger and he does provide stability but to really compete with the best sides I don't think we can carry such a slowpoke.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    We should be buying someone soon or we are going to struggle. Wright is a great backup as you said. Matai will retire for sure. So our backline will be something like this.

1: T Trbojevic
    2: J Taufua (hope he gets re signed soon!!)
    3: D Walker
    4: B Williame (really impressing me, he looks a top line centre knows how to score also and knows the culture)
    5: D Mead (not sure if he will go here but hope he does he's a really solid winger still with some speed to burn not as quick as he use to be but is getting up there, if we don't get him Parker looks good also)
    6: B Green
    7: D Cherry-Evans

3. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,642 / 74
    He is solid and relatively mistake free, but yeah I think Dylan had to slow down and wait for him when that try was on :0)

4. ManlyTragic

ManlyTragic Member

Ratings:
    +159 / 7
    A bit tough! At least he didn't drop the ball before and over the try line like some more experienced wingers!

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. ricardo

ricardo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 70
    He is a solid journeyman.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    Was probably one of the only 80 minute players yesterday. Like him a lot. Was very strong wth his hit ups, had exceleent leg drive. Quite happy to have wright and would love to see him get a chance to build a combo wirh a good centre.

Will surprise us in the future i reckon

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. STSK

STSK Member

Ratings:
    +114 / 9
    Nothing special, gets the job done. Can't fault the guy. Not a world beater, not top 17 when all fit. But a more than capable back up who will do the no thrills 1%ers so the stars can shine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. simon64

simon64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 27
    We could do a lot worse than Nathan Ross.
    He's off contract and he wouldn't cost a bomb.
    The guy has a red hot go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    He's go on like a dickhead and I'm not a fan of his attitude but he is a good player.

10. the mauler

the mauler Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,653 / 25
    Williame a top class centre?? Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,346 / 56
    Fair call....at first I thought the Ross Dog was some average Joe Knights got from a local comp out of desperation...which he was...thing is been their best 90% of games I've seen....has speed & fully committed in every play ....personally take Bevan French on the cheap , but Ross is a good option too

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Nordburg

Nordburg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +868 / 47
    Who are the "more experienced wingers"you refer to?

13. ManlyTragic

ManlyTragic Member

Ratings:
    +159 / 7
    Did you watch the game yesterday

14. Nordburg

Nordburg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +868 / 47
    So I assume you're referring to the "more experienced"Taufua who is 9 months younger and played 10 less games in his career than Wright

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. MightyEagles

MightyEagles Active Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 8
    I must say i thought Wright was fantastic yesterday. ......Tom Wright that is. Very strong in the u20s

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turbo

Turbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,568 / 497
    How long do you reckon until he plays NRL?

17. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    I really miss having a winger like Scott Donald. It is magic seeing a player get the ball with an opening anywhere on the field and know they will score if it is a race. Blinding speed doe not seem to be so common in wingers anymore

18. pjayz

pjayz Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 51
    Yes he is slow; however, he was still clearly injured from the week before which made it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kevinward777

Kevinward777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,245 / 32
    Wingers are expected to do the hard yards coming out of their own end. I thought Mathew Wright was excellent on Sunday, scored a try and ran for over 150 metres. If he can do that again on Friday I'll be well happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Needs to hit the sand at Narrabeen and work on his beach sprints. The Brookie surface claimed him a couple of times yesterday, he doesn't like a heavy track.