Manly Daily PR - lack thereof

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I have recently noticed a distinct lack of news/articles on our NRL team in the Manly Daily. For instance, not a word mentioned after our great win vs Dragons at Brookie and nothing said in Wednesday's Daily about our game vs Souths last Saturday.

Once upon a time there was always a story on a player or something about a Manly game in both Wednesday and Saturday editions every week. Reading it now you would hardly know that the Northern Beaches has a team in the NRL. Could it have anything to do with Zorba not writing for them anymore, or is that just a coincidence.

With our resurrection this year, compared to the last few years, and with a good chance of making the 8, surely there's plenty of positive stories to write. As Manly's always trying to increase their membership and increase Brookie crowds, they should put a rocket up them and remind the Daily of our club's existence. Maybe @The Wheel or @Mitch could mention it at the Members' Council meeting.

(I know some couldn't care less about the Daily but I for one always enjoy reading it, especially when they talk all things Manly.) Rant over...

I have recently noticed a distinct lack of news/articles on our NRL team in the Manly Daily. For instance, not a word mentioned after our great win vs Dragons at Brookie and nothing said in Wednesday's Daily about our game vs Souths last Saturday.

Once upon a time there was always a story on a player or something about a Manly game in both Wednesday and Saturday editions every week. Reading it now you would hardly know that the Northern Beaches has a team in the NRL. Could it have anything to do with Zorba not writing for them anymore, or is that just a coincidence.

With our resurrection this year, compared to the last few years, and with a good chance of making the 8, surely there's plenty of positive stories to write. As Manly's always trying to increase their membership and increase Brookie crowds, they should put a rocket up them and remind the Daily of our club's existence. Maybe @The Wheel or @Mitch could mention it at the Members' Council meeting.

(I know some couldn't care less about the Daily but I for one always enjoy reading it, especially when they talk all things Manly.) Rant over...

Spot on and it’s not just recently it’s been all season. Something has gone on there.

I used to love reading about Manly in the manly daily now its like you said, nothing! Andrew prentice used to write some articles maybe he left and same with zorba. The bastards don't even deliver the manly daily to my area anymore :(

Former Sea Eagles charity shot
image.ashx

Mark Bryant, David Williams, Mike Chapman and Heath L’Estrange Picture: supplied

THE Sydney Ice Dogs have raised $5000 and counting for the Leukaemia Foundation following last Saturday’s Matt Clark Charity Shield at Macquarie Ice Rink.

Held in honour of former Warringah Bombers ice hockey player Matt Clark, this year’s charity shield drew a massive crowd for the Ice Dogs’ huge 10-1 victory over the Adelaide Avalanche in their Australian Ice Hockey League clash.

The evening also saw a host of former NRL stars including former Sea Eagles David Williams, Heath L’Estrange and Mark Bryant as well as Nigel Plum strap on the skates for a special exhibition match.

“They surprisingly did really well for their first crack on the ice,” Ice Dogs general manager Scott Stephenson said.

“Mark Bryant and Nigel Plum especially moved quicker than I thought they would.

“The crowd was definitely entertained and I think the players came out of it with a new-found respect for the sport.”

›› Donations can still be made at leukaemia.grassrootz.com

Last edited:
I used to love reading about Manly in the manly daily now its like you said, nothing! Andrew prentice used to write some articles maybe he left and same with zorba. The bastards don't even deliver the manly daily to my area anymore :(
I haven’t had a Manly Daily delivered in years.

As far as I know the Daily gets as much access to the club via normal media channels as any other TV, radio, newspaper organization.

Why they don’t have articles I have no idea

Ive never lived in manly so i am asking. Does it reflect the locals interest in the club generally ?

Ive never lived in manly so i am asking. Does it reflect the locals interest in the club generally ?
MD has become a very community focused paper, it's not just the lack of Sea Eagles articles.

Every sport has lost coverage unless there is a business component like the Surf Events that have pop up stores to rake in monies for local restaurants etc

We used to get the scores for Junior Sports, but no more.

So we have a very thin publication full of restaurant ads and real estate/car sections :confused:

But MSE do not promote Home Games any more nor does our Leagues Club :(

Nah.

The MD was an absolute staple published 5 days a week for decades. It was cool, you can see a wall of headlines painted on the site of one of its old offices just off the corso.

The warning i used to get before going out at night from mum was “ I don’t want to see your name in the manly daily tomorrow.”

Indeed it was often hilarious recognizing the names of people caught doing some misdemeanor.

It is barely a newspaper these days, so I wouldn’t worry about a lack of sea eagle coverage. They have no full time journo, and I guess manly isn’t bothering to advertise with them very much.

The sea eagles are obviously targeting their marketing direct through social media for the last 6 months. More effective and cheaper.

Nah.

The MD was an absolute staple published 5 days a week for decades. It was cool, you can see a wall of headlines painted on the site of one of its old offices just off the corso.

The warning i used to get before going out at night from mum was “ I don’t want to see your name in the manly daily tomorrow.”

Indeed it was often hilarious recognizing the names of people caught doing some misdemeanor.

It is barely a newspaper these days, so I wouldn’t worry about a lack of sea eagle coverage. They have no full time journo, and I guess manly isn’t bothering to advertise with them very much.

The sea eagles are obviously targeting their marketing direct through social media for the last 6 months. More effective and cheaper.
Shoe nailed it. Used to be a great local paper (who can ever forget the "Horse Lost in Post" headline?), really useful to the local community. But it's no longer daily (Wednesdays and Saturdays, I believe) and is more a pamphlet than a newspaper. On top of that, delivery is spotty as hell. I suspect its bi-weekly days will soon come to an end, too.

I only ever see it at my olds or pages of it blowing across the road. Even the real estate section on Saturdays used to be 2 thick sections, a matte lift out and gloss magazine. If your place was in the gloss you were minted. If matte it was probably a unit in DY.

Police rounds were always a great read.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8