Manly Centres an issue

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
We have no choice but to be flat in attack coz our centres don't have any pace and no strike edge second-rowers. Opponents only need to mark-up to stifle us. Speed allows the line to set up deep and this begets options and also poses questions to the defense.

Walker has lost his speed and now hammy problems will make it worse. Move him and Suli on at season end.

We need pace in the centres...Koula is our future and we need one other centre...maybe Tippy toes?
What you are saying is correct, but when these backs are slow - standing so flat only compounds this factor....also leads to these cross field running, pressure offloads/passes, errors and a lack of momentum and....is a massive factor in a poor end to set, kick off the back foot, the edges need depth in the modern game to hit the ball with pace and power.
So while there is a lack of pace, the correct structures after winning the middle and quick plays with 2nd man options (also rare) and more depth and being done at pace, will create some poor defensive reads, making it very possible to score tries from 20m - 30m out.....in general it will at least will allow the opportunity to put pressure on the defensive line and ask more questions in attack.

What you are saying is correct, but when these backs are slow - standing so flat only compounds this factor....also leads to these cross field running, pressure offloads/passes, errors and a lack of momentum and....is a massive factor in a poor end to set, kick off the back foot, the edges need depth in the modern game to hit the ball with pace and power.
So while there is a lack of pace, the correct structures after winning the middle and quick plays with 2nd man options (also rare) and more depth and being done at pace, will create some poor defensive reads, making it very possible to score tries from 20m - 30m out.....in general it will at least will allow the opportunity to put pressure on the defensive line and ask more questions in attack.
Flat can work mate if the centres have skills like having a cut-out pass or evasion skills, offloads etc. Our centres have no such skills and the deeper they are the easier target they make. Our centres are not going to create space or doubt in any good centre's minds.

Defending against deep, slow, skill less centres and strike-less backrowers is like shelling peas. There is no ATTACK in our backline and we desperately need some.

There are probably 10 flick-passes thrown every weekend by centres and edge back-rowers... ours don't have these skills....except Schuster, who is probably a 6.

Last edited:
I think you get more out of your wingers and edge forwards in the modern game. Having great centres of course is always good, but its a bit of a luxury given our investment in the spine and middle forwards (hopefully).

At least with Parker he isn't a player the opposition will target. I'd be comfortable with him starting at centre if he saves us a bunch of coin so long as we have some strike weapons beside him or a really good edge on the other side of the field.

The Manly centres have been a concern in recent seasons, maybe due to following the steps of the great Jamie Lyon and Legendary Steve Matai...big boots to fill.
Also let's be honest, the service is horrible inside not creating a great amount of opportunities and getting the ball in ordinary positions.
Seem very flat also , which could be down to the middle not gaining enough momentum so the attacking shape is almost level to the ruck, also the fact Des likes a flat structure where the centres are "up" compared to say Rabbits who are always deep to give time to hit the ball at pace and get away clean passes without getting sliced in 2 by the defenders jamming in.
Individually they all have had great moments, but rarely great games - big difference.

• Walker can still be a very dangerous centre, but not convinced he has his Trump card of extra zip, as effected by some bad injuries....I will save judgement till he is in his natural position at centre.
  • Suli has unfortunately been down on form and most importantly - energy...the game against Penrith when you want your key players to step up, didn't seem to want to be out there....huge ability, but surely running out of chances to prove it.
  • Parker is a tough 1, as I find it hard to rip into a bloke who rips in 100% every week and he is 1 of few who does.Unfortunately the slowest centre in the NRL and effects his and Manly's attack big time, though let's flip the coin and talk defence...this bloke is up with the best defensive centres in the game....I personally am not inspired to see him there, but he has been our most solid centre the past 2 years so its a tough call.
  • Harper is a smokey, seems keen, has speed and a step and is dangerous ball in hand....but not sure he is the long term answer, maybe the next month with more game time will give a fairer indication of where he is at.

There's not a great amount of quality centre options available at other clubs, apart from Katoni Staggs who I am a Massive fan, but is pretty unrealistic depending on available coin.
Also many potential stars coming through with young Koula just 1 of many options, Ben T also , but feel he has a few area's to work on before we see him get a shot.

What's the thoughts on where we are and the best way going forward ??
I agree 100 percent. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. young billy smith would be the guy id look at to partner walker.. until someone like Tuipolotu is ready to step up fulltime

Flat can work mate if the centres have skills like having a cut-out pass or evasion skills, offloads etc. Our centres have no such skills and the deeper they are the easier target they make. Our centres are not going to create space or doubt in any good centre's minds.

Defending against deep, slow, skill less centres and strike-less backrowers is like shelling peas. There is no ATTACK in our backline and we desperately need some.

There are probably 10 flick-passes thrown every weekend by centres and edge back-rowers... ours don't have these skills....except Schuster, who is probably a 6.
I would agree if it was simply a chain pass but in today's game its all about decoy runners, 2nd man plays, offloads and players switching either side of the ruck to create numbers, so even being slow once you have extra men and the defence commits to the inside attackers, the outside players will find space and it thats Harper, Saab or Garrick against a defender who has to turn and chase....thats a 10m headstart.
I think if we had Souths backline execution which is permanently deep, even slow as we are, would score s heap more points and be far harder to defend.
This is slso why Manly look so confused when 10m out...the rushing defence gives these flat runners zero time

I agree 100 percent. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. young billy smith would be the guy id look at to partner walker.. until someone like Tuipolotu is ready to step up fulltime
You know plenty about this junior system SJ , how far off is Koula from a run in top grade and do you see him a long term option ??

You know plenty about this junior system SJ , how far off is Koula from a run in top grade and do you see him a long term option ??
I wouldn't say i know too much about our system in particular maxta, but watch plenty of lower grade footy whenever I can no matter the club. Although I am a family friend of a younger player In our system and friends with one of our players best friend. Thats probably as for as my insight goes at manly but i know a fair few people playing in NRL/NSWcup/Massey in which u do hear wraps from, on alot of up and comers. As for koula I honestly know probably just as much as the next bloke

I wouldn't say i know too much about our system in particular maxta, but watch plenty of lower grade footy whenever I can no matter the club. Although I am a family friend of a younger player In our system and friends with one of our players best friend. Thats probably as for as my insight goes at manly but i know a fair few people playing in NRL/NSWcup/Massey in which u do hear wraps from, on alot of up and comers. As for koula I honestly know probably just as much as the next bloke
Knew there was some direct insight - always very accurate mate

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12