Lyon was right...refs stank

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The game has headed to a point where nit picking, pedantic penalties are the norm and teams go on long runs of having these crap penalties blown for or against them.

A good stats man would have a field day with this; how many times does a team get 4-5 penalties then the next 4-5 are awarded to the other team.

Jamie was just saying what everyone else is thinking.

I thought the other South's try was a double movement,the ball was grounded and with no momentum just replaced over the line,refs were so bad,missed heaps

I thought that at first glance as well, but when they showed the replay both tacklers had dropped off before he advanced the ball (Turbo overshot him and he'd got his legs out of DCE's grasp) - so you'd have to say fair call on that one. I don't think they had hold of him long enough for it to be called held before he got his legs free. If DCE still had hold of his legs, double movement for sure.

I don't understand with so many eyes looking at the game why they can't reverse scrum feeds based on strips, I remember one and possibly two occasions when a Souths hand went in and pulled the ball out ( SBurgi was one ) , clearly a strip and sure the refs missed it but after the replay why can't the bunker advise the ref to change the feed ??

And the other thing that annoys me is the perceived need to " even up the count",regardless.

We had a flow of penalties go to us in the first half and you just knew it then and there, an even up is on the way.

And they tend to do it in multiples and quickly AND therefore change the flow of the game.

Jamie was right, dead right and we all know it.

Lot of talk on social media that Jamie could be in trouble with the MRC.

If that actually becomes a suspension , then the NRL has really lost the plot.

Scam Smith intimidates the refs every game he plays AND gets away with it.

Oh sorry my bad , future immortals get to do anything and say anything they like!!

And the other thing that annoys me is the perceived need to " even up the count",regardless.

We had a flow of penalties go to us in the first half and you just knew it then and there, an even up is on the way.

And they tend to do it in multiples and quickly AND therefore change the flow of the game.

Jamie was right, dead right and we all know it.
They also seem to feel the need to even up possession: in fact the commentary team talk about how possession will "even up over the course of the game". Why?

At half time we had about 60-40 in terms of possession. They had completed 10 of 15 sets. So they made mistakes (and glaringly obvious ones at that) and consequently gave up 30% of "their" time in possession of the ball.
The half time score reflected this: we were at a 90% or better completion rate and made hay, so to speak, going into the break 18-0 up..

Come the second half and whilst we made mistakes to give up possession, they were granted plenty of "free" ball via poor refereeing. But was it poor refereeing or was it a conscious effort by the NRL?

Taking off my "Manly" glasses (but keeping my tin foil hat firmly in place!), it's a situation that unfolds in pretty much every_single_game over the course of the weekend. Penalties are invariably even-ish over the course of the game, with a run of inconsequential penalties late in the game "squaring up" the count, with no team looking overly favoured, but as we all know, penalties come in two forms: valuable, late tackle count "leg up" style and then the less useful red zone, early count "momentum killer" styles that really don't help... But they look good on the stats..

You could sit back and get pissed about the overt manipulation of the competition via the draw, or the less obvious manipulation of individual games via the officiating... But it is what it is.

At the end of the day we've got to maximize our chances with the ball in hand, so get rid of the stupid errors, hold the pill and play smart footy.... This is the ONLY way to keep on top. Stupid sh*t gives them possession and allows the pink idiots to leg them up with grey area penalties.

So play smarter. Be aware. Grind them down then beat them into submission, the way we used to!!

/mini rant ;)

This bunker ruling is yet another reason why replays should always be in real time, not in slow-mo. To the naked eye - how we've watched sport since it started - that was a try. When you freeze frame it there is separation.
It was a lucky break for us. But we'll cop one against us soon enough. That's why trying to forensically dissect every play via video, in slow-mo, ruins the natural flow of the game and causes so much controversy.

This bunker ruling is yet another reason why replays should always be in real time, not in slow-mo. To the naked eye - how we've watched sport since it started - that was a try. When you freeze frame it there is separation.
It was a lucky break for us. But we'll cop one against us soon enough. That's why trying to forensically dissect every play via video, in slow-mo, ruins the natural flow of the game and causes so much controversy.

I don't think any separation occurred and my read is either did the bunker.

The boofhead said " and you can see he has not "re-gripped" the ball"

The fact that his hand was flat but still in contact with the ball all the way down didn't seem to matter to the dope.

Has the rule changed? Do you now need to "Grip" the ball when grounding?

Even the commentators seemed bemused.

The fact that his hand was flat but still in contact with the ball all the way down didn't seem to matter to the dope.

I have an excellent grip

Not so much 'grip' when grounding, but if you lose control of it and propel the ball forward, you have to 're-grip' it or regain control of it before it hits the ground, another player, the goalpost or crossbar. I can't remember the exact wording, but it was posted in a comment on one of the news articles today.

They haven't gone all the way back to the good old days of requiring proper downward pressure, it's kind of a middle ground between that and the horrible, untidy 'as long as it's still vaguely in contact with some millimetre of your body' rubbish that was being dished up a couple of years ago.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4