Looking for help and Guidance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Pretty much concur with what others have said but here's some other bits that might help.

Absolutely get the ferry across the harbour - you'll get great views of the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge and then the Sydney Heads as you cross the harbour (Great to do it on the way back too when it's dark as the lights are fantastic)

As the game kicks off at 4.05 pm, I'd plan to come over to Manly in the morning and have breakfast or brunch on the Manly beach front - the ferry docks at Manly Wharf - follow the crowds and stroll down the Corso (good for shops and browsing) - the main surf beach is at the end of the corso.

You may get a chance to see the 'Nippers" going through their paces on the ebach ("baby life saver classes") and dependant upon the waves you'll see plenty of surfers doing their thing.

Plenty of cafe's along the front for food and drink and all worth trying dependant upon what you want.

(Fish and chips from the Manly Fish cafe on Wentworth St is popular and would make a nice take away lunch on the sea front before heading to the ground)

Looking at the Ocean - if you walk right from where the Corso meets the main beach road there's a path that follows shoreline that takes in a marine reserve called Cabbage Patch Bay - nice walk and about 20 minute to Shelly Beach (kiosk there for a cold drink or a coffee)

Come back along the same walkway to Manly, the Steyne Hotel on the corner of the Corso and the main beach is a good place for a beer and to people watch (if the weather is nice which it still should be in March the beaches will be packed and you'll see the typical Aussie beach lovers)

Walk back towards the wharf to get the bus up to Brookvale (Here's a handy trip planeer for your stay Trip Planner )

The Brookvale Pub is very close to the ground and a popular watering hole pre-game.

Others have covered the ground and tickets - for what it's worth I stand on the Hill around the half way line where there is a beer shed - great view (but if your considerring that be mindful of the weather - bring a hat and sun block as it gets the afternoon sun as it sets and as there's no roof, if it looks like rain I wear wet weather gear - I'm from Shaw near Oldham so rain doesn't phase me)

If you're looking for merch as a souvenir there are kiosks and similar in the ground where you can buy stuff (they take cash and cards)

TIP: the bars sell hot food like pies and chips and beers and soft drinks - queues can be long and they only sell mid strength alcohol after half time so plan accordingly

After the game - I'd let the crowds disperse and head for a coldie back at the Brooky pub to celebrat the win and then get the bus back to Manly.

Plenty of food and drink places in Manly to relax post game and soak up a bit of the local culture if you'd like (use trip advisor to check them out) and decent pubs - try the Wharf Bar on the water for a drink - right next to where the ferry leaves from - and as the sun will set around 7pm I'd aim to get a ferry back to Sydney after that so you can see the city lights and the bridge/opera house at night (there may also be a cruise liner docked as they are in the habour on a pretty regular basis and magnificent to see up close)

Safe travels, have fun and hope that helps!
Cheers

Pretty much concur with what others have said but here's some other bits that might help.

Absolutely get the ferry across the harbour - you'll get great views of the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge and then the Sydney Heads as you cross the harbour (Great to do it on the way back too when it's dark as the lights are fantastic)

As the game kicks off at 4.05 pm, I'd plan to come over to Manly in the morning and have breakfast or brunch on the Manly beach front - the ferry docks at Manly Wharf - follow the crowds and stroll down the Corso (good for shops and browsing) - the main surf beach is at the end of the corso.

You may get a chance to see the 'Nippers" going through their paces on the ebach ("baby life saver classes") and dependant upon the waves you'll see plenty of surfers doing their thing.

Plenty of cafe's along the front for food and drink and all worth trying dependant upon what you want.

(Fish and chips from the Manly Fish cafe on Wentworth St is popular and would make a nice take away lunch on the sea front before heading to the ground)

Looking at the Ocean - if you walk right from where the Corso meets the main beach road there's a path that follows shoreline that takes in a marine reserve called Cabbage Patch Bay - nice walk and about 20 minute to Shelly Beach (kiosk there for a cold drink or a coffee)

Come back along the same walkway to Manly, the Steyne Hotel on the corner of the Corso and the main beach is a good place for a beer and to people watch (if the weather is nice which it still should be in March the beaches will be packed and you'll see the typical Aussie beach lovers)

Walk back towards the wharf to get the bus up to Brookvale (Here's a handy trip planeer for your stay Trip Planner )

The Brookvale Pub is very close to the ground and a popular watering hole pre-game.

Others have covered the ground and tickets - for what it's worth I stand on the Hill around the half way line where there is a beer shed - great view (but if your considerring that be mindful of the weather - bring a hat and sun block as it gets the afternoon sun as it sets and as there's no roof, if it looks like rain I wear wet weather gear - I'm from Shaw near Oldham so rain doesn't phase me)

If you're looking for merch as a souvenir there are kiosks and similar in the ground where you can buy stuff (they take cash and cards)

TIP: the bars sell hot food like pies and chips and beers and soft drinks - queues can be long and they only sell mid strength alcohol after half time so plan accordingly

After the game - I'd let the crowds disperse and head for a coldie back at the Brooky pub to celebrat the win and then get the bus back to Manly.

Plenty of food and drink places in Manly to relax post game and soak up a bit of the local culture if you'd like (use trip advisor to check them out) and decent pubs - try the Wharf Bar on the water for a drink - right next to where the ferry leaves from - and as the sun will set around 7pm I'd aim to get a ferry back to Sydney after that so you can see the city lights and the bridge/opera house at night (there may also be a cruise liner docked as they are in the habour on a pretty regular basis and magnificent to see up close)

Safe travels, have fun and hope that helps!
Cheers
Thank you for the very comprehensive help and assistance - definitely will look into those hints along with all of the others.
Couple of things could I ask about the above
follow the crowds and stroll down the Corso - the last time I was told to follow the crowd at a RL match was at Hull KR Craven park - I could only see about 3 other people :) I assume this is a more noticeable crowd?
Fish and chips from the Manly Fish cafe on Wentworth S - I have been told by a friend to ask for Chicken Salt - is this really a thing?

Thank you for the very comprehensive help and assistance - definitely will look into those hints along with all of the others.

Love chicken salt!

Very happy when a small company started making it over here.

Bung it on yer chips!

Manly wharf (where the ferry arrives from Sydney's Circular Quay) is a major transport hub and is used by locals and tourists alike so most likely any ferry you get on will be pretty much full (not particularly League fans) and there will be a crowd to follow...

Check out Google Maps and you're looking to walk down The Corso to the main Manly Beach (there is a beach either side adjacent to the wharf but that's not the "main beach" (Does sometimes confuse first time visitors)

Chicken salt is most definitely a "thing" and well worth trying (Most chippy's and takeaways will have it and often will ask if you want regular or chicken salt on your chips)

Word of warning though on takeaway... beware if ordering a burger or sandwich as many places have a disgusting habit of including sliced gungy purple beetroot with any salad mix... it's an Aussie thing so unless you love beetroot ask for your food with none

Last edited:
Manly wharf (where the ferry arrives from Sydney's Circular Quay) is a major transport hub and is used by locals and tourists alike so most likely any ferry you get on will be pretty much full (not particularly League fans) and there will be a crowd to follow...

Check out Google Maps and you're looking to walk down The Corso to the main Manly Beach (there is a beach either side adjacent to the wharf but that's not the "main beach" (Does sometimes confuse first time visitors)

Chicken salt is most definitely a "thing" and well worth trying (Most chippy's and takeaways will have it and often will ask if you want regular or chicken salt on your chips)

Word of warning though on takeaway... beware if ordering a burger or sandwich as many places have a disgusting habit of including sliced gungy purple beetroot with any salad mix... it's an Aussie thing so unless you love beetroot ask for your food with none
The old iconic fish and chip shop in the Corso just before you get to Manly beach from 10 or more yrs ago was the best. The present one now is very disappointing, I threw half the box to the seagulls ...yuk!!

The old iconic fish and chip shop in the Corso just before you get to Manly beach from 10 or more yrs ago was the best. The present one now is very disappointing, I threw half the box to the seagulls ...yuk!!
Correct, that's why I suggested the one on Wentworth St around the corner which is far better

@
Morning All from St Helens, UK
I am coming over to Australia and I am looking to attend the Eagles opening game. However I have never been to Australia before let alone Manly. This is where I would ask for some help.
I am staying in Sydney CBD nearest Metro is Wynyard. I dont think there is a metro link to the Manly area so it looks like a Bus or a Taxi to the ground - is that right.
Then on top of that I will be attending with my wife who has only ever done one RL game before so I was looking to make more of a day out for us with a game thrown in for good measure. Is there any part of Manly that would be better to do this in rather than the Brookvale area I am not really looking at beaches but points of interest, shopping malls, cafes bars restaurants etc. - any ideas for me?
Also getting back to the hotel after the game easy or hard - bearing in mind its a Sunday evening?

All help is much appreciated - if this type of thing has been asked before I am happy to follow any links you provide and do some more research - cheers guys
General Admission and other Tickets are now on sale for members for this game @St Etrigan would expect they go on sale to the public in the next week or two

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned the Manly Leagues Club as a pre or post game drinking spot. It’s literally a 5 minute walk from there to the Oval.

Whilst I appreciate the Brooky pub / 4 Pines bar probably have more atmosphere these days the old Leagues club does hold a fair bit of history , so definitely worth a visit !!

Hope you have a great time and most of all I hope we get a win on the day !!

Sorry to let you know but our opening game is in Las Vegas not Brookvale :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you visit Manly make sure you go to the Manly Skiff club for a few beers and a feed Great view

If you go to The Skiff Club, don't forget your ID.

Allegedly, you could be rich and famous, and you'd still get knocked back with no ID. 🤭

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned the Manly Leagues Club as a pre or post game drinking spot. It’s literally a 5 minute walk from there to the Oval.

Whilst I appreciate the Brooky pub / 4 Pines bar probably have more atmosphere these days the old Leagues club does hold a fair bit of history , so definitely worth a visit !!

While most on here bag Manly Leagues Club, Mark's right (good point Mark)!

I highly recommend you visit the Club @St Etrigan at some stage when you're here, as it has a lot of Manly history you should/would enjoy seeing. Very worthwhile!

I
While most on here bag Manly Leagues Club, Mark's right (good point Mark)!

I highly recommend you visit the Club @St Etrigan at some stage when you're here, as it has a lot of Manly history you should/would enjoy seeing. Very worthwhile!
I agree there is history and but it is a disgrace that so much history is kept in what its not much better than a public **** house.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been checking each day but this must have happened while I slept 😴 💤 😅
You haven’t miss it, it came out in an email to members today!

However they are now on sale to public

IMG_6450.jpeg

Sadly Mark, the only thing in the Leagues Club that's got anything to do with Manly, is the pathetic jumbled mixture of old and new Manly merchandise behind one of the bars. The Sports bar that was upstairs is no longer the Sports bar, same with the pictures of past Manly greats, all gone. Think some Chinese guy owns the Leagues club building now, such a shame. They would probably get a sprinkle of supporters on match day dropping in after the game I guess.

Definitely ask for beetroot on your burger or steak sambo, personally though, I’m not really a fan on a salad sanga, but on a burger or steak sanga, it’s the Aussie thing to do; pickles are an import from the US and reminiscent of McDonalds.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8