Looking for help and Guidance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Morning All from St Helens, UK
I am coming over to Australia and I am looking to attend the Eagles opening game. However I have never been to Australia before let alone Manly. This is where I would ask for some help.
I am staying in Sydney CBD nearest Metro is Wynyard. I dont think there is a metro link to the Manly area so it looks like a Bus or a Taxi to the ground - is that right.
Then on top of that I will be attending with my wife who has only ever done one RL game before so I was looking to make more of a day out for us with a game thrown in for good measure. Is there any part of Manly that would be better to do this in rather than the Brookvale area I am not really looking at beaches but points of interest, shopping malls, cafes bars restaurants etc. - any ideas for me?
Also getting back to the hotel after the game easy or hard - bearing in mind its a Sunday evening?

All help is much appreciated - if this type of thing has been asked before I am happy to follow any links you provide and do some more research - cheers guys

Hi.

Wow, good on you.

As you are staying in Wynyard If I was you I would get a ferry from Circular quay to Manly. Sydney Harbour is beautiful and almost a crime punishable by transportation in a leaky boat back to the UK not to catch ferry across it. Then you could walk around Manly from harbour side to beach side and depending on how early you get to Manly have breakfast or lunch. Nice walks are Manly to Shelly beach or Manly to Queenscliff Beach?

I don't know what you like but there are so many pubs, restaurants and bars all through Manly that it is hard to suggest one. One of my favourite is the Manly Skiff Club which is a short walk from Manly wharf. It is just typical Aussie pub food with a nice view.

Shopping? The city has more shops but there is a very large shopping centre called Warringah Mall in Brookvale which about 5 to 7 minutes walk from the oval.

Once you are done with all that it is time to get a pre-game beer in and and sample some pre-game atmosphere with plenty of Manly fans for that go to the Brookvale Hotel / Pub. It s a 5 minute walk from the stadium

Another option is

More Manly fans will be at the Brookvale Pub though.

It will be easy to get back to Wynyard. There will be buses, taxis or Uber avilailable

Anyway, just my thoughts. Hope you enjoy Australia and fingers crossed Manly put in a good effort and win for you / us all.....

I am coming over to Australia and I am looking to attend the Eagles opening game.
1705605766094.png

Thanks for this great reply. I have looked at the ferry and it seems a great option. Looking at the timetable it should also be an option for coming back to the hotel as it runs late.

Wombat essentially nailed it.

You can get a bus straight from Wynyard to Brookie but that is not the go from a sightseeing point of view.

Definitely head to Manly early via the Iconic Manly ferry, have brunch/lunch and maybe even pack your swimmers if the weather is good.

Coming back, the bus will be the quickest return to the city.

Thanks for this great reply. I have looked at the ferry and it seems a great option. Looking at the timetable it should also be an option for coming back to the hotel as it runs late.
No worries. Happy to help. The Northern Beaches is an amazingly beautiful part of Sydney and the world and locals are always proud to share it.

Pre-game another possibility would be Manly Leagues club but it IMO it is an absolute shxt hole and not worthy of even having the Manly name as part of it. Awful place. Anyone that sends you there is taking the piss.

Grab some game day merch at the ground.

Another option is the Harbord Diggers. Not really walking distance from the ground but nice place.

The ferry / bus is very cool , very easy, but depending on your plans the bus back to the ferry after the game can be a nightmare.
exiting sporting events via bus comes with many challenges

Also google the B1 bus service... not scenic but a bus every 10 minutes or so to Wynyard.
Service is 24hrs but drops to every 30 minutes or so in the early hours of the morning.
The B Line is the Northern Beaches version of a metro / train ....... It is just a bunch of double decker buses. For us it has been an absolute public transport revolution and is super reliable really good regular quick bus service into the city. It has limited stops and finishes right at Wynyard. The closest B Line stop from Brookie to Wynyard is the short walk back to Warringah Mall. It is a two beer roadie trip from The Mall to Wynyard.

Didn't check first. Just had a look and ..... The first home game is Manly v Roosters. Should be a sell out. A big crowd on a sunny Sunday arvo at Brookie is experiencing the best of the Manly game day experience that you can get. As long as Manly win ......

Last edited:
I am coming over to Australia and I am looking to attend the Eagles opening game. However I have never been to Australia before let alone Manly. This is where I would ask for some help.
I am staying in Sydney CBD nearest Metro is Wynyard. I dont think there is a metro link to the Manly area so it looks like a Bus or a Taxi to the ground - is that right.
Then on top of that I will be attending with my wife who has only ever done one RL game before so I was looking to make more of a day out for us with a game thrown in for good measure. Is there any part of Manly that would be better to do this in rather than the Brookvale area I am not really looking at beaches but points of interest, shopping malls, cafes bars restaurants etc. - any ideas for me?
Also getting back to the hotel after the game easy or hard - bearing in mind its a Sunday evening?

All help is much appreciated - if this type of thing has been asked before I am happy to follow any links you provide and do some more research - cheers guys
Welcome and Have an Amazing time at Manly @St Etrigan

Shame you didn't book a stay in Manly instead. Although it would be a bit pricey, even a motel/hotel at Brookvale is pretty pricey also.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8