1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's all laugh at Orford

Discussion in 'Silvertails Soapbox' started by Matabele, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Just shows what we're not missing. Dreadful 5th tackle options, aimless forwards and backs running concentric circles, a kick-off dribbling 20 metres etc etc etc.

He is too old, he should have given it away after 2009.

2. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    Instead people should stop bagging DCE. :)

3. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,713 / 257
    Agree but let's not laugh, he is after all the last Manly Grand Final winning captain and for that I'll never forget him.

4. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    Agreed.

5. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    I'd be more forgiving if he hadn't left us precipitously.

6. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,477 / 42
    In this house we will never laugh at Orford...too many great memories. He's doing his best. I feel for the bloke.

7. TokyoEagle

TokyoEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 4
    I was thinking tonight that he was actually kicking a lot longer than he usually did when he played for us.

8. stoodamire

stoodamire Active Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Agreed Mark!

Orford came to us in 06 and made us much more competitive.

Won us a premiership as captain.

I hope he bounces back and has a good season, just not when he comes up against us.

9. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,713 / 257
    It's sad really, he perhaps should have retired BUT I'll never laugh at him, thought it was was really nice to see him chating with the boys at the end....great memories Oxy

10. NYEagle

NYEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 69
    It's hard to ever knock a player who came to Manly and did the job asked of him and was part of the greatest grand final victory in rugby league history.

It was great after the game to see him laugh it up with his old 08 teamates.

11. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    You could see the respect our lads have for him through the 80mins as well

12. Copa Eagle

Copa Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    rather than laugh i feel sorry for the bloke, he left us when he did and we had time to usher in orford no biggie. the blokes to old, he looks to buff compared to what he used to, alot slower !

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 0
    He was certainly the butt of quite a few chants on the hill.

Should've retired at Bradford.

14. ando

ando Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 2
    show some respect matabele. Regardless of whether he is in form or not, he's a premiership player for us and a dally M winner for us.

A pretty immature post indeed.

15. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Same, I feel sorry for the guy. Sure he should have retired a few years ago and he has probably banked million from bradford and Canberra, but that was just embarrassing tonight. When he fell over and dropped the ball on the last play that just summed up this season. He should give it up.

16. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    Your a cockhead mata seriously. Your a fickle bastard bet you weren't laughing at him on oct 5 2008. **** off and support another club your a disgraceful human

17. ayjay007

ayjay007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    He did the job for us at Manly.it was obvious he was going to be a bit of a journeyman.Good luck to him in his last few years.Let him pick up a few $$$ in peace.We've won 7 Grand Finals,but have had goodness knows how many captains of Manly.He is one of a possible 7 to have captained us to GF win (and a record one,at that).I think he's earned some slack.

18. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Laugh at him tonight?

Some of us have been laughing at him for years, why stop now?

When he is shaded by a 20 yr old halfback who just sprouted pubes, it should tell him something.

Cue Violins, Dally M medals, blah blah blah.

Junk, pure and simple, when he serves it up for them he is crap, when he did it for us (which happened all too often) he was excused because he was the messiah.

Wake up and smell the roses, he played tonight like he played for us.

19. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    I'm not so sure about that. Mainly because I don't know what precipitously means! ;)

Actually I really think the ending of relationship was about as mutual as you can get. He might have wanted the cash on offer from the UK, but I'm fairly certain our management team were happy to let him go as they didn't think he was going to lead us to our next premiership.

20. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    So classy. Who made you the gatekeeper of the true supporter club?

Seriously, a lot of people would have been hugely relieved to see that performance tonight. We can't dine out on 2008 forever.

[hr]
    I say he played tonight a little worse than he played in 2009. 2009 was diabolical but he is older and slower now. He was well compensated by the club to play with us, and he failed to deliver after 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.