Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It seems to me the Tigers are in as much of a mess as we are. They have Doueihi coming back next year from another ICL rehab, Wakeham coming off contract and Brooks coming to us. So they are in need of experienced quality halves. A little like a game of chess at present. It would be a huge gamble for them to tie up a large chunk of their salary cap on Latu and Josh and I'm not sure they can afford to offer Samuela much either in view of their forward signings this year. So interesting times ahead. Whilst some are angling the moves it appears that some within the Tigers are not convinced.
We sell them Johns and Arthur... perfect.

I’m dubious about the rumour but it’s out there.I don’t think Tanah Boyd takes them to the “promised land” and I suspect he’ll be replaced by Hunt next year anyway
I'll look out for him tomorrow morning, my dentist overlooks their training paddock and Ive got an appointment

Latu has got a good running game and has got good instincts as a half, but he doesn’t have much of a passing or kicking game.

Has potential but fundamentals need to develop more.
Latu certainly Has better potential than Luke Brooks ever had, With Luke Brooks on the overall decline. This trade is a shambles.
Seriously now, I like Latu and I'm not happy to see him move on, But take the blindsided glasses off and get informed.

Luke Brooks is a proven NRL player, former half of the year, and thats not given out easily as he was competing against the likes of Cleary, DCE, Moses, Reynolds etc.
He has been club best and fairest and stuck solid with the Tigers showing his loyalty, so this makes him a pretty good person in my eyes, the sort of bloke you want in your club.

His also 28 and has the best 3 or 4 seasons of his career ahead of him, and he will be a no brainier to take over from DCE in a couple of years so we are not left in a massive hole with nobody steering the ship.

Whats Latu done.....................waiting.............potential............., yeah his lit up Jersy Flegg but hardly set the world on fire in the reggies.

And when you look at Brooks as a junior he kills it over Latu, He was an Australian school boy captain, Played junior origin, was touted as the best junior in his time ( The NEXT Andrew Johns no less) he debut ( NRL ) as a teenager and never looked back. so on this principal alone to say Latu has better potential is almost laughable as Luke isnt just potential its fact

Luke Brooks is a proven NRL player, former half of the year, and thats not given out easily as he was competing against the likes of Cleary, DCE, Moses, Reynolds etc.
And against a certain multiple premiership half back C Cronk.
Aside from making halfback of the year that year (2018) Brooks actually ran third in the overall tally for Dally M player of the year. It was at the end of that great season that the Tigers resigned him on the 5 year big money deal .

Why not stick to specific examples to make your point instead of racist stereotyping? (because I can think of plenty of Pacifika players who've been loyal and just as many white Anglo types who have not)
Could of worded it better I guees, should of just kept it to the Finu's. Maybe just a bit bitter and frustrated that Manly put so much time and money developing these players, and all for ziltch. "Pasifika" was used a lot in last years Rainbow gate fiasco to describe the group of players who boycotted the Roosters game, don't recall any posters that were pointed out for racist stereotyping. Or is it just a case of selective judgement.

Could of worded it better I guees, should of just kept it to the Finu's. Maybe just a bit bitter and frustrated that Manly put so much time and money developing these players, and all for ziltch. "Pasifika" was used a lot in last years Rainbow gate fiasco to describe the group of players who boycotted the Roosters game, don't recall any posters that were pointed out for racist stereotyping. Or is it just a case of selective judgement.
I think when Will Hopoate took the cash & signed with Parra the day after the 2011 GF it left a sour taste in Manly fans mouths and sullied the legacy for them, but then we had up and coming star Albert on the horizon much like Latu he was to be the next best thing only for his manager to agitate for more money or demand a 1st grade start which Des didn't believe he was ready, so they threw the toys out the pram and agitated for a release and he went to Raiders and is only now getting regular game time. We have had a history of putting up with John Hopoate dragging the club through the mud and then running to the next best thing when they don't immediately get what they want. Now through a crappy manager like Tartak the Fainu's (seem) to be doing similar in regard to the club standing by Manase only for them to agitate for debut's and money. Not sure if they are responsible for all this but something isn't right and I think the Fainu's are paying for the sins of the Hopoate's. Its also where I think the Stereotyping is coming from, but its more to do with large family's all impatiently trying to crack the NRL and using each other for leverage. It must be noted that the Trbo's are in the same boat but both Jake and Tom really stood out and forced the club into debuting them and upgrading them swiftly, they were also born and bred in the Manly area which obviously made a small difference when it came to loyalty.

I think when Will Hopoate took the cash & signed with Parra the day after the 2011 GF it left a sour taste in Manly fans mouths and sullied the legacy for them, but then we had up and coming star Albert on the horizon much like Latu he was to be the next best thing only for his manager to agitate for more money or demand a 1st grade start which Des didn't believe he was ready, so they threw the toys out the pram and agitated for a release and he went to Raiders and is only now getting regular game time. We have had a history of putting up with John Hopoate dragging the club through the mud and then running to the next best thing when they don't immediately get what they want. Now through a crappy manager like Tartak the Fainu's (seem) to be doing similar in regard to the club standing by Manase only for them to agitate for debut's and money. Not sure if they are responsible for all this but something isn't right and I think the Fainu's are paying for the sins of the Hopoate's. Its also where I think the Stereotyping is coming from, but its more to do with large family's all impatiently trying to crack the NRL and using each other for leverage. It must be noted that the Trbo's are in the same boat but both Jake and Tom really stood out and forced the club into debuting them and upgrading them swiftly, they were also born and bred in the Manly area which obviously made a small difference when it came to loyalty.
Good points, Des and the club stood by Manase, even paid him for all that time he was stood down by the NRL. And now with the impending departures of the Finu's it seems that loyalty is just a one way street.

Could have worded it better I guees, should have just kept it to the Finu's. Maybe just a bit bitter and frustrated that Manly put so much time and money developing these players, and all for ziltch. "Pasifika" was used a lot in last years Rainbow gate fiasco to describe the group of players who boycotted the Roosters game, don't recall any posters that were pointed out for racist stereotyping. Or is it just a case of selective judgement.
Not true, there was a racist aspect to some of the criticism of the religious rebels and it was called out at the time. Typically it related to those who used sweeping generalisations about ‘Pasifika players’ and in particular those who implied their intolerance of gays was down to being too dumb to understand a simple concept, whereas the reality was far more complicated and included the fact that the Christian beliefs that apparently underpinned their refusal was itself an aspect of the colonisation of their traditional island homes.

The irony in you saying “not a lot of loyalty shown by Pasifika players in general” is that in terms of loyalty to family and their faith many are probably loyal to a fault.

In any case, if you don’t want to sound as though you are pushing racist stereotypes why not simply avoid those generalisations, as I suggested above?

If Latu is contracted for next year by Manly at 250-300K he would be looking for a club to pay him more for next year, but not marginally for him to leave.
He won't get a long term high paying contract so it's going to be a small increase over 1-3 years, but if it's three and he cracks first grade in that time as a half he might have sold himself short.
Then there is the playing with his brothers (ex- the one in jail)

Interesting conundrum

Not true, there was a racist aspect to some of the criticism of the religious rebels and it was called out at the time. Typically it related to those who used sweeping generalisations about ‘Pasifika players’ and in particular those who implied their intolerance of gays was down to being too dumb to understand a simple concept, whereas the reality was far more complicated and included the fact that the Christian beliefs that apparently underpinned their refusal was itself an aspect of the colonisation of their traditional island homes.

The irony in you saying “not a lot of loyalty shown by Pasifika players in general” is that in terms of loyalty to family and their faith many are probably loyal to a fault.

In any case, if you don’t want to sound as though you are pushing racist stereotypes why not simply avoid those generalisations, as I suggested above?
I already said "I could of worded it better, should of just kept it to the Finu's" and not sure what you're "colonisation of their traditional Island homes" comment comes into it, going of track a bit I'd say. You come across as very condescending and full of woke ideals, anyway, we'll just leave it at that.

I am thinking it is doubtful that Samuela Fainu will go to the Tigers. They have Bateman, Ipap, big stef, klemmer and are looking at signing Frizell. If he goes there he will play nsw cup for Wests.

He is more chance of playing first grade at Manly
Yeah, l was thinking about this too.
What is it, that just because they are brothers the narrative is they all have play at the one club?

It is rather simplistic and insulting to suggest they do not have their own minds and ambitions.

I love my brothers and would do pretty much anything for them but if they ( or my family) suggested l leave my workplace where l'm happy and paid accordingly ( an assumption) to go to another employer just so l can potentially fast track one of their careers with no guarantee that we work side by side would most likely be a no.

If l think l have the drive and ability to make it on my terms why would l potentially jeopardise that?

I already said "I could of worded it better, should of just kept it to the Finu's" and not sure what you're "colonisation of their traditional Island homes" comment comes into it, going of track a bit I'd say. You come across as very condescending and full of woke ideals, anyway, we'll just leave it at that.
Thanks for the judgment, I don’t want to offend you so I won’t say how I think you “come across”.
That post was only because you seemed miffed that I commented on this one of yours, looking back at it now it doesn’t look any better
Not a lot of loyalty shown from Pacifica players in general. They go where the wind takes them.

Thanks for the judgment, I don’t want to offend you so I won’t say how I think you “come across”.
That post was only because you seemed miffed that I commented on this one of yours, looking back at it now it doesn’t look any better
You're like a dog with a bone, wont let go..lol... now waiting for the impending woke avalanche to hit...

Not sure you can really speculate on any players motivation for moving clubs etc

Like most things there would be

1. The players version
2. The players managers version
3. The clubs version

Somewhere in the middle would be the truth.

As an example of a club loses a talented kid are they going to put their hand up and say it was due to how they were managed?

If the player is leaving for more money are they really going to say that?

I expect a lot has been happening in the background for some time and we don't have a clue as to what's really going on. I am pleased that the club administration is finally showing some steel and are making strong moves in the player market at long last. I hope that both Samuela and Latu want to stay and do.

Our two most successful coaches happen to be white. Both created huge headlines when they left the club for more money during their respective careers. One was born in England and started playing on the South Coast, the other is a Penrith boy

Perhaps we need to start recruiting more Asian players? I was going to suggest raiding the French rugby side but I hear the Frogs are prone to becoming revolutionaries.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8