Keppie told to leave, replaced by Tigers Alex Twal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Maybe, I imagine the figure has been publicly withheld because he was being beaten up in the media. I haven't heard too many coaches come out and publicly comment that a player took less to stay. It seemed calculated to me, i.e. controlling the media narrative. Then you've pretty much got every RL journo and website declaring he is on 800k a season. It's all pointing in the direction of that being the correct figure. I could be wrong but I think the club thought he would be sought after and offered him a serious deal, before the wheels fell off and other clubs passed on his asking price. We were the last club standing and he signed the deal, before telling the media that he took less to stay. Is it less than what other clubs were offering? I don't know that he got another offer from another club. Is it less than what is on this year? Maybe, but he might be on 835k this year and took a 25k a season pay cut. It doesn't tell us a lot. I'm not buying the 600k figure for a second.
Yep, and the speculation continues. Think as Manly fans we can tolerate a figure of 600k but definitely not 800k.

Maybe, I imagine the figure has been publicly withheld because he was being beaten up in the media. I haven't heard too many coaches come out and publicly comment that a player took less to stay. It seemed calculated to me, i.e. controlling the media narrative. Then you've pretty much got every RL journo and website declaring he is on 800k a season. It's all pointing in the direction of that being the correct figure. I could be wrong but I think the club thought he would be sought after and offered him a serious deal, before the wheels fell off and other clubs passed on his asking price. We were the last club standing and he signed the deal, before telling the media that he took less to stay. Is it less than what other clubs were offering? I don't know that he got another offer from another club. Is it less than what is on this year? Maybe, but he might be on 835k this year and took a 25k a season pay cut. It doesn't tell us a lot. I'm not buying the 600k figure for a second.
The Shoe's salary was based on his prodigious talent which, unfortunately, has yet to be fully fulfilled. Base on his 2023 form he fooled a lot of "good" judges, myself included. I haven't given up hope just yet, but if a referendum was held tomorrow . . .

If Schu can improve his defence then he will make a great edge forward that presents an attacking option and I am actually excited to see what Brooks brings to the side…
I don't think his future is an edge forward. This is as big a myth as the Shu being a 5/8. I think given his current speed and the very likely odds of his increasing size / weight, I see him more (naturally) in the middle. It's his size and ball playing abilities that will play havoc with the opposition defensive line. Not his speed. For the "oldies" on this forum, am I the only one here that sees serious parallels with this kid to the great Artie Beetson???

I don't think his future is an edge forward. This is as big a myth as the Shu being a 5/8. I think given his current speed and the very likely odds of his increasing size / weight, I see him more (naturally) in the middle. It's his size and ball playing abilities that will play havoc with the opposition defensive line. Not his speed. For the "oldies" on this forum, am I the only one here that sees serious parallels with this kid to the great Artie Beetson???
I am more hopeful that he can develop as an edge forward I guess… I don’t see him as a middle because he lacks size and I am seriously doubtful that he could handle the workload… plus I have never seen the kid make a single post-contact metre…

At least on an edge he is getting the ball with some space which seems critical to his effectiveness… but I fully take your point on his lack of speed…

I am more hopeful that he can develop as an edge forward I guess… I don’t see him as a middle because he lacks size and I am seriously doubtful that he could handle the workload… plus I have never seen the kid make a single post-contact metre…

At least on an edge he is getting the ball with some space which seems critical to his effectiveness… but I fully take your point on his lack of speed…
Yes it will be interesting to see how he progresses in 2024. Prodigious talent and no doubt his position next year will be in that 2nd row slot. You do need some speed out there which I don't think he has. Smart coaching will play him around his natural abilities and attributes (size and ball playing).......not his deficiencies.

I completely agree. He’s a middle and will be our Artie.

Still doubt that Shu would be best suited for a middle role .
Can 't think of any previous occasion again that he has even played there , junior level or higher
.Every indication that he still needs just that additional bit of space and open play to take on the defense and use his undoubted talents then ideally .
Plus the additional work load in the middle which would not suit his natural style , again all things taken into account .
Showed again for a good part of season 21 what he was capable of on an edge , really can not see why he can not replicate that form level there if things go his way fitness and application wise .
Actually , noticing old footage with Artie and in the early stages of his career , was a very mobile type forward and even played quite a bit of 2 nd row apparently .
Started off as a winger and centre in the Brisbane comp as a teenager and can see where his mobility came from .

Can 't think of any previous occasion again that he has even played there , junior level or higher
.Every indication that he still needs just that additional bit of space and open play to take on the defense and use his undoubted talents then ideally .
Plus the additional work load in the middle which would not suit his natural style , again all things taken into account .
Showed again for a good part of season 21 what he was capable of on an edge , really can not see why he can not replicate that form level there if things go his way fitness and application wise .
Actually , noticing old footage with Artie and in the early stages of his career , was a very mobile type forward and even played quite a bit of 2 nd row apparently .
Started off as a winger and centre in the Brisbane comp as a teenager and can see where his mobility came from .
The only way I see it working is if Schu defends at 12 but plays attack at 13, whilst Burbo defends in the middle, and runs off Schu on the edge. In an ideal world, this could work, and work well, IF Schu is up to it mentally

I had the pleasure of watching Artie play and come through the ranks. Yes he was a real unique footballer. He suffered badly from weight gain as he got older and in that process lost a lot of his speed from junior days up in Brisbane. However to his credit he used the extra weight to his advantage in the front row. What he lost in speed he picked up in higher workload and higher tackle count in closer to the ruck. His size and ball playing abilities were always his strength. The Shu? lets see how he goes in the 2nd row next year and I will have my fingers crossed that will be a resounding success for the kid. If not, then really there is only one other realistic position on the field to try.

The only way I see it working is if Schu defends at 12 but plays attack at 13, whilst Burbo defends in the middle, and runs off Schu on the edge. In an ideal world, this could work, and work well, IF Schu is up to it mentally
Fair suggestion but Burbo 's defence and tackling mode might be a bit of an issue for big minutes in a middle role .
Shu as a 13 might have its appeal but some players , even with serious ability and reasonable versatility , maybe are just not suited to certain positions

I had the pleasure of watching Artie play and come through the ranks. Yes he was a real unique footballer. He suffered badly from weight gain as he got older and in that process lost a lot of his speed from junior days up in Brisbane. However to his credit he used the extra weight to his advantage in the front row. What he lost in speed he picked up in higher workload and higher tackle count in closer to the ruck. His size and ball playing abilities were always his strength. The Shu? lets see how he goes in the 2nd row next year and I will have my fingers crossed that will be a resounding success for the kid. If not, then really there is only one other realistic position on the field to try.
Arie was certainly one of a kind and just how good did he get with his ball playing skills and all round ability , Well probably the best of his era and one of the best of all time , very likely .
Think that he arrived at the Tigers [ Balmain ] at or almost the same time as that dynamic winger Kevin Yow Yeh , also from Redcliffe i think .

The only problem with that is that Burbo never wins the ruck and is always left on the ground and we are 1 marker short.
He makes the tackle but can’t win the wrestle.
My only concern of Burbo, if he fixes this he is in for a big year.

The only problem with that is that Burbo never wins the ruck and is always left on the ground and we are 1 marker short.
He makes the tackle but can’t win the wrestle.
My only concern of Burbo, if he fixes this he is in for a big year.
I have to say that Burbo this season looked a lot closer to the player that I never thought he would be than I imagined he could become…

I have left a lantern burning for him…

Fair suggestion but Burbo 's defence and tackling mode might be a bit of an issue for big minutes in a middle role .
The Burbo Burspective

Burbo has the hair, the looks , the height , the name
But .....
I have seen nothing yet to rate him up with other dominant and dynamic opposition back rowers
Maybe he will Rise in 2024 ?

If we are to Rise like Premiership Winning Eagles
We must Raise our Standards
1697249110474.png

If he beefed up and trained with discipline he could become the best lock to ever play the game.

The Burbo Burspective

Burbo has the hair, the looks , the height , the name
But .....
I have seen nothing yet to rate him up with other dominant and dynamic opposition back rowers
Maybe he will Rise in 2024 ?

If we are to Rise like Premiership Winning Eagles
We must Raise our Standards
View attachment 25302

To be fair Burbo looked as good as any of our forwards in the 2nd half of the year, but kept getting injured or concussed.
Injury free and another preseason, he could be one of the great improvers like Bully was this year

Speaking with a Brooky local on Friday, who has attended a few social events with some Manly players (all of whom will be at he club in 2024), he suggested that Keppie was not that popular with the playing group and won’t necessarily be missed. Not sure how accurate that is or who may have suggested it, but I have no reason to doubt

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11