James Roberts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sports article in a Queensland newspaper today mentioning that Roberts is currently on a 300 k per season contract and is definitely seeking a significant upgrade to stay at the Broncs . Also mentioned that there was some interest from a few Sydney clubs but this would just be expected, and apparently the preference for him is to stay in Brisbane . If there is a serious intention to recruit him for Manly , this would then most likely result in releasing some of the existing back line playing squad taking into account salary cap requirements . Regardless of any personal issues , he certainly is a talent but to disrupt the present Sea eagles back line player stocks would hardly represent any general improved position for the club"s future competition prospects.

Sports article in a Queensland newspaper today mentioning that Roberts is currently on a 300 k per season contract and is definitely seeking a significant upgrade to stay at the Broncs . Also mentioned that there was some interest from a few Sydney clubs but this would just be expected, and apparently the preference for him is to stay in Brisbane . If there is a serious intention to recruit him for Manly , this would then most likely result in releasing some of the existing back line playing squad taking into account salary cap requirements . Regardless of any personal issues , he certainly is a talent but to disrupt the present Sea eagles back line player stocks would hardly represent any general improved position for the club"s future competition prospects.
We are not a club that needs to stress about salary cap restraints and releasing members of the backline...as Barrett publicly stated on the weekend, we don't have a very "deep" squad and we are playing between 1-2 million short in the salary cap this season because of Matai and Stewart. We have money and are chasing an outside back and a backrower.

How many examples of bad boys that have grown up and been valuable buys are there? Dugan , Fergo, Walker (fingers crossed) AFB, Zane Tetavano

There's a big difference between guys who are thrown the 'last chance' lifeline once and go on to make something of themselves (like AFB, Tetevano, Dugan, Jake Friend, even Johnathan Thurston - although he's benefited from a friendly Qld media for years), and those who rip through multiple 'last' chances at numerous clubs, until they do something so horrendous that they won't be given another chance.

Roberts is in that mould - he's your Arana Taumata, Matt Lodge, Todd Carney type that has been able to get away with murder his whole life because he's a talented footy player; he's been punted for off-field crap by, what, three clubs now? And still hasn't learned, just found more apologists to cover for him. Blake Ferguson is no different - both he and James Roberts talked a good game about how becoming a father had made them grow up, both were - within weeks - apparently 'not coping' with the responsibility and were back to their old tricks. Fergo has reportedly had behavioural clauses recently put into his Rorters contract as well - watch this space, Roberts and Ferguson are both ticking time bombs that will eventually (again) do something their respective clubs won't be able to sweep under the carpet.

Please don't let Manly be the club that gets caught out with one of these incorrigible dead****s on the books.

Um that backline is worse than what we have now! What has kelly done wrong to be put behind roberts and parker haha. And Uate will not ever get dropped for Brad Parker haha. And Green should get re signed no need to put DCE under pressure with another young 6.

1 Trbojevic
2 Wright/Taufua
3 Walker
4 Kelly
5 Uate
6 Green
7 Cherry-Evans

Thats our backline for the next 5 years, Green will only get better with age and why force dce to make more new combos including another halves partner. And why is Roberts an improvement on kelly? Only thing he beats kelly in is speed. Kelly is a better defender, has more skills and better footwork plus he isnt a wanker.
Have to agree to disagree. Think Green will be lucky to get another 2 years after this one. Don't get me wrong, he has gone good but age will catch him out. I'm far from sold on Kelly personally. However, I was an Api critic and he is now one of our best. More than happy to be proven wrong but to me I think you're looking at him in a very biased way. Uate has 2-3 more in him, I would think. If our backline is like this in 5 years, i'll do a nudie run around lottoland. Not gonna happen.

There's a big difference between guys who are thrown the 'last chance' lifeline once and go on to make something of themselves (like AFB, Tetevano, Dugan, Jake Friend, even Johnathan Thurston - although he's benefited from a friendly Qld media for years), and those who rip through multiple 'last' chances at numerous clubs, until they do something so horrendous that they won't be given another chance.

Roberts is in that mould - he's your Arana Taumata, Matt Lodge, Todd Carney type that has been able to get away with murder his whole life because he's a talented footy player; he's been punted for off-field crap by, what, three clubs now? And still hasn't learned, just found more apologists to cover for him. Blake Ferguson is no different - both he and James Roberts talked a good game about how becoming a father had made them grow up, both were - within weeks - apparently 'not coping' with the responsibility and were back to their old tricks. Fergo has reportedly had behavioural clauses recently put into his Rorters contract as well - watch this space, Roberts and Ferguson are both ticking time bombs that will eventually (again) do something their respective clubs won't be able to sweep under the carpet.

Exactly, none of these guys learn the value of a 'second' chance, because they are only ever slapped on the wrist with a limp lettuce leaf instead of being suitably penalised. Roberts gets sacked from one club only to be immediately picked up by another club on a bigger contract. All this does is condone and encourage bad behaviour. The nrl need to manage these things better, when a player is sacked for off-field issues they should have to go through a re-education process before having a new contract registered. That may act as more of a deterrent than a fat new contract

I understand why we would want to sign him but I don't understand why??
I'm thinking it's because we have the cash

The important thing to remember is this; the club cannot cover up anything illegal...therefore this "crap" we hear about is usually nothing more than drunken arrogance in pubs and clubs...hardly the crime of the century...I have seen lots of NRL stars act like morons in pubs and clubs but Roberts has a rap sheet and he need only sneeze to attract attention.

There is no denying he is a few sandwiches short of a picnic but all he would need to do is score a double at Brookie for most of us on the forum to forget about that...

I never said he did anything illegal (though drunk and disorderly is technically illegal if the cops find you like that). Just that they cover up his off-field crap.

In Brisbane with the Donkeys loving media its barely a ripple on the pond. In Sydney he'd be on the back page, especially if he played for Manly.

Please don't let Manly be the club that gets caught out with one of these incorrigible dead****s on the books.

Look at how AFB handled his trouble in his lie and how it has been since. Then compare that to players like Roberts who deny everthing and keep repeating their behaviour and bounce from club to club.

Willis Meehan is another. Picks up a last minute 30 June contract with Parra. should have been made to miss 2017. Jamil paid for his indiscretion. Sadly, there will always be Blake Fergo's in life, it is how we help them keep making right correct choices is the issue. Deep down there is a great guy who just needs change and hope.

Say again!!
Broncos supporters are ambivalent as well
Donkey-with-Two-Heads--25848.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8