It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
So do YOU think an IQ score is the same as an individuals intelligence?
To quote James Flynn, for whom the Flynn effect is named:
"I also wish to underline that if we want to write the cognitive history of the 20th century, rising IQ is at most half the story. There are other intellectual qualities, namely, critical acumen and wisdom, that IQ tests were not designed to measure and do not measure and these are equally worthy of attention. Our obsession with IQ is one indication that rising wisdom has not characterized our time."

No I do not.

No I do not.
I think there is plenty that can be reflected on from studies like this Norwegian one and other IQ, intelligence and development studies. But it concerns me when they are used to generate click-bait headings like we are getting dumber or the education system is getting worse.
There are definitely things to be improved in our education system and one thing I will agree on (with some select posters on here) is that political correctness and restricting speech to protect sensitives is doing far more harm than good to younger generations. Rather than encouraging understanding and sensitivity through discussion and learning, children are taught right and wrong as basic fact based on the most popular social norms of the day. The social justice culture that now exists in young people is alarming and the current NPC is completely relevant and accurate for both sides of the growing political divide.
People are losing the ability to debate and assess their beliefs and opinions through facts and arguments and not just over political and religious ideologies. There are more than a few posters on here who are convinced that their idea of what happened in Gladstone must be true or that player X would have played a much better game than player Y or what is really going on at the club. The reality is the majority of us will never know the answers to most of these questions, but maybe if we ignore the click-bait and truly listen to the thoughts and ideas of others as well as the facts we can get to a clearer picture of the actual truth.
And lets all hope the coach is announced soon so we can start talking about next season again :).

All the dribblers are obviously asleep. Anyone want to talk footy? I hear we are looking at a new coach. Anyone have any ideas? Shhh just keep it quiet though. We don't want to wake them up.
Go Manly!!

Geez all you dribbling ****ers getting off topic.. looks like we are going to be in for the long haul listening to another 200 pages of mindless dribble if Trent Barrett doesn't fark off soon...can someone post the article?

Screenshot_20181019-000904.jpg

Barrett dilemma grounds Sea Eagles

Des Hasler is on the verge of a return to Manly.
Des Hasler held further talks with Manly officials yesterday but confirmation of his return to the club appears likely to be delayed until next week as focus turns to the Sea Eagles’ plans for departing coach Trent Barrett.

Barrett enacted a 12-month notice period in his contract in July and The Australian understands he harbours no regrets over the decision, confident he will land on his feet with another job when he is finally free of Manly.

When that happens will be dictated to a large extent by the Sea Eagles, amid speculation the club continues to look for a job for Barrett working alongside Hasler, rather than agreeing to a costly settlement.

Barrett attended a luncheon at the SCG on Wednesday to honour the 20th anniversary of Mark Taylor’s record-equalling innings of 334 against Pakistan but aside from that, he has spent recent weeks ensuring he meets all his contractual requirements at the Sea Eagles as he avoids giving the club any reason to find him in breach of his deal.

He has also been planning for the upcoming season, although it has become increasingly clear that task won’t be his responsibility as Hasler holds further talks with Sea Eagles officialdom designed to formalise his return to the club.

There is sound legal opinion to suggest Manly may be in breach of Barrett’s contract should they announce Hasler as their new head coach, meaning the departing mentor would be within his rights to seek damages for what he is owed. Even an attempt to change Barrett’s role at the club to allow Hasler’s return would leave the club in breach according to legal sources.

The Sea Eagles are therefore walking a fine line as they work towards reaching an agreement with Hasler and a suitable outcome for Barrett.

They are expected to be in position to announce the new coaching structure next week, a period that shapes as a defining one in the NRL coaching market with as many as five clubs removing uncertainty around their futures.

Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe has been overseas and is due to return to Sydney on Sunday, when his focus will switch to sorting out the coaching situation at his club.

There seems little chance Ivan Cleary will be at the Tigers when pre-season training resumes the week after next, the priority to sort out a deal with Penrith and plot the way forward with either Wayne Bennett or Michael Maguire. Bennett was considered the early favourite for the job but the pendulum seems to be swinging back to Maguire due to the belief that Bennett wants to finish the final year of his contract at the Broncos.

Maguire, however, remains in the running for the head coach job at Brisbane in 2020. The Broncos have been conducting interviews with candidates this week — it is understood Queensland State of Origin coach Kevin Walters could have his chance to state his case today.

South Sydney’s Anthony Seibold remains the frontrunner for the job and there have been whispers this week that should he decide to move to Brisbane in 2020, it may result in a direct swap involving Bennett.

Bennett is currently in England where he is coaching the national side but he has previously expressed an interest in the Rabbitohs job, having held talks with head of football Shane Richardson before taking the Newcastle Knights job in 2012.

Bennett was on the verge of accepting a lucrative deal with Souths worth close to $3 million over three seasons but the Knights swayed him to move to Newcastle using the billions of then-owner Nathan Tinkler.

There have been suggestions Bennett is back in the frame at Souths, although that hinges on whether Seibold finds overtures from Brisbane too good to resist. All will be revealed in the next week as the game braces for the coaching merry-go-round to gather unprecedented pace.

Easy way to clear this mess up. Pay Barrett like every other club would (see The Budogs with Hasler), and be done with it.

This holding out, chess and mind games is unsettling to absolutely everyone involved .

I KNOW it's real money, but Scott, after the millions you made on the sale.of our Brookvale Leagues club, surely you could end this for the betterment of the club (and I suggest Cartwright leaves with Barrett).

Bit over all the political games. Just invest in our brand, and move forward here.

Is it that difficult people, or am I completely on the wrong path here.

Then again, I'm lying here in tears, about losing my sense of smell and taste. My missus made me a pork roast tonight, and I couldn't even smell the thing cook. FML

I give up. Ugh.

Easy way to clear this mess up. Pay Barrett like every other club would (see The Budogs with Hasler), and be done with.

I can’t understand why they won’t pay him out.
Is it more expensive to?
If he has given notice and is finishing up mid year wouldn’t it cost the same if he was paid to leave or stick around until his notice period expires.

Better off paying him to leave and being disgruntled and the possibility of causing a rift in the playing group.

Is it more expensive to?
If he has given notice and is finishing up mid year wouldn’t it cost the same if he was paid to leave or stick around until his notice period expires.

Better off paying him to leave and being disgruntled and the possibility of causing a rift in the playing group.

That's exactly what I was thinking mate. Exactly.

Is it more expensive to?

Here are 2 reasons why.

They may believe he has another gig to start on 1 nov and will walk away if not paid out beforehand.

Maybe Penn is really pissed at the way Barrett went about it and would rather make him the Narrabeen janitor until july than see him living the life of riley on our tab;..re: Mr Plod.

I believe Barrett will walk if we wait until nov 5.

If it were me in charge I would make it as unbearable as the law allows, Redemption.

Last edited:
Is it more expensive to?

They may pay him out 1st Nov when next season's NRL monies come through. Manly would have already used up all of the 2018 NRL Grant.

Manly could also be asking the lawyers on how to prevent Baz being employed in the NRL till July 2, 2019 to prevent Baz double dipping.

Baz could do the professional thing and get himself another job.
This standoff will continue to affect the TurBros badly :cool:

Its the same answer for every question as to why things are worse these days - Lefties.
Haha you deride any voice against inequity or injustice as 'lefties'. You obviously don't even know the history of how rugby league was formed! And why it was known as the working man's sport.
I'm surprised you aren't more interested in following union. Or maybe polo. Or croquet!

In this picture you would be you the bloke on the left, no doubt.
200px-Reverend_marshall.jpg
A cartoon lampooning the divide in rugby. The caricatures are of Rev. Frank Marshall, an arch-opponent of broken-time payments and James Miller, a long-time opponent of Marshall.

That's exactly what I was thinking mate. Exactly.
I reckon it’s become principle. I reckon he’s prob got another job lined up and why would you pay him out so he can get paid again. Him earning that other cheque would be dependent on him leaving so make him leave

Well it’s now doubtful we’ll know #thisweek

I’m away in the caravan #nextweek and will have very intermittent Internet access so I’ll have to leave it to the other Dribblers from tomorrow.

It’s 12 days until the players come back so if it’s not #nextweek I’m buggered if I know!!

If there was a board meeting yesterday as suggested I reckon they would have approved the way forward with Barrett,

Either way it has to be sorted very soon with players coming back 5/11. One thing for is that Des won’t be twiddling his thumbs waiting. Plans would being made, staff being put in place, player reviews being completed etc

Shocking Kevin.

I worked in the criminal justice system and Zoloft was a regular medication for serious depression, not the sort of substance you offer for sleeping problems.

And yes I know of this Ritalin issue. Trouble I think is that we just don't understand enough about varying activity levels. We live in a domesticated environment, which isn't in itself natural for humans. Many of these kids who are seen as overactive, in a tribal setting would have been your hunters and warriors. We also don't take young people through the equivalent of a rite of passage process, that uses much of that energy we have as adolescents. And we limit what children need to go through, that is regular rigorous game playing exercise that helps use that energy they have.

Sad thing is many of these people identified as ADHD find it hard to adjust to sedentary behaviours such as in the school room. Their rebellious activity often then leads to breaching of the legal codes. There are a disproportionately high rate of people diagnosed ADHD in gaol, and a lot who become alcoholics and drug users as their means of self medicating because they are not being given the opportunity of using their excess of energy in this domesticated life style we now lead.
You sir... are a winner!

If Penn pays out Barrett from Nov till July, does that money not come out of 2019 football department salary cap?

I think you may have warned me at some stage about passing opinions off as facts didn’t you woodsie?

If anyone else other than the owner makes a decision then that is the result of the owner allowing him to make that decision .... that is not opinion ...it is fact ....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10