Injury ends Richie Fa'aoso's career

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lismore_fan

Bencher
Richie's forced Premature Retirement

Injury ends Richie Fa’aoso’s career

January 30, 2014
Adrian Proszenko SMH Chief Rugby League Reporter

Retirement: Richie Fa’aoso.

Manly forward Richie Fa'aoso has been forced into premature retirement due to his neck injury.

Read more.

Devastating news for Richie AND for Manly!

Good luck in your retirement, Richie.

RE: Richie's forced Premature Retirement

Thanks for your commitment to the game and to Manly, Richie. I hope the injury does not stop you from enjoying a full life from here on in.

sad that his career is over but i wonder that if we had known earlier could we have kept george rose?(would 2v want him is another question)
or offered brent kite more money for an extra year?
guess we will never know....

January 30, 2014
Adrian Proszenko

Manly forward Richie Fa'aoso has been forced into premature retirement due to his neck injury.

Read More

However, the injury, sustained when he ran into Rabbitohs pair Jeff Lima and Roy Asotasi, ha
VD-Fa-aoso.jpg
s ended his 155-game NRL career.

Medicos gave Fa'aoso a conditional clearance to resume light training with the Sea Eagles in December but subsequent tests revealed he risked sustaining catastrophic injury if he returned to rugby league.

Plans for the Tongan international to make his professional boxing debut have also been aborted.

The development has created a crisis in the forwards for Manly. It remains to be seen whether the club will be granted salary-cap dispensation to pursue a replacement.

If not, the void will need to be filled internally by the likes of James Hasson. The club's only front-row acquisition of note, former Rabbitoh Josh Starling, is yet to play first grade, although the Sea Eagles will be bolstered by the return of veteran co-captain Jason King following a shoulder reconstruction.

January 30, 2014
Adrian Proszenko

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/injury-ends-richie-faaosos-career-20140130-31njw.html#ixzz2roZunoaS

The development has created a crisis in the forwards for Manly. It remains to be seen whether the club will be granted salary-cap dispensation to pursue a replacement.

Seriously that is baloney. Surely a throwback to the Gallop Schubert cap rules.

Whether it is caused by injury or no injury, it is a retirement. If they count Richie for 2014 at Manly why don't they include the dollars from players that retire before their contract ends, especially where it was backended. Yes I'm talking about the Dragons and Gasnier the years they won the grand final and after.

How can any player who is ruled out in January for the whole season count at all towards a club's cap? Even if you get a season ending injury in the trials their salary shouldn't count for the current season. I don't think the players get paid for a year unless that play in an official NRL club game.

Richie was injured in 2013 but as we didn't get his retirement news until January 2014 Manly now have to suffer for 2014? That is absurd logic from the NRL. If I was at a NRL club I wouldn't risk any of my top 25 squad at the NRL 9s.

Good point, especially as this was not a voluntary retirement, but a medical requirement.

Sign Livock the Beast :idea:

Rough few months for the poor fella. Hope the club provides adequate counselling and the like. All the best Richie!

Hope his transition into life after footy goes well.
Really need some of the young blokes to step up now.

All the best Richie. Never gave anything less than 100% so he will be missed. He's going through a rough trot at the moment, hopefully he will come out the other side a stronger person.

I'm not really surprised by this news, and I hope the club wasn't.
As for Kite and Rose, I think those deals were already done before Richie even got injured.
I hope the club really sticks by the bloke during what will obviously be a really hard time for him, and helps him in a meaningful way to adjust to life after footy.
Thanks for your efforts Richie, all the best to you and your family.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I'm not really surprised by this news, and I hope the club wasn't.
As for Kite and Rose, I think those deals were already done before Richie even got injured.
I hope the club really sticks by the bloke during what will obviously be a really hard time for him, and helps him in a meaningful way to adjust to life after footy.
Thanks for your efforts Richie, all the best to you and your family.

I think there is more to it, a few taps on the shoulder from within the club, after his troubles on the field and off and costing the club $$$$$ he was not going to be hanging around the club for very long. His Insurance would be fitting the bill for Richie.

I wish him all the very best, a bloody sad way to end your career but it happens to a few (just ask Joey).

Yes we either need to find an unsigned prop (at this stage I imagine they do not exist), or we just have to hope the untried young guns step up, if they don't it could be a long year.

That news is tragic for Richie and Manly - Front Row is a massive worry now.... Jake T might be in for plenty of game time in 2014

All the best Richie!

The Wheel said:
That news is tragic for Richie and Manly - Front Row is a massive worry now.... Jake T might be in for plenty of game time in 2014

All the best Richie!

This!

São & Starling also need break out seasons.

Ritchie virtually broke his neck giving it all for the Sea eagles .
Al the very best Ritchie !!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8