I'm just Proud they had a Real go...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I enjoyed much of the game last night and not going to repeat what was crap about it from officials ect....what's done is done.
The players executed some great footy that first half, including super sharp shifts to get outside the defence and create opportunities and make yardage to have Penrith on the back foot with 4 - 1 linebreaks and Penrith VERY lucky to be 12 - 12 at half time in every way.
I think due to injuries and wear, they lacked the 90% completions 2nd half which was closer to 50%, which happens under fatigue and playing some "risk for reward" footy.
What really pleased me was the defence, with some nice dominant tackles, decisive shutdowns from outside and EVERY player really put in against the dominant team of the NRL.
Even the kick/chase was a Massive improvement and this is a 1% area we have been poor most of 2023.
Some will play the old "how do you get excited about a loss" card.....my answer is I'm proud of the effort the players put in and have no doubt "IF" we played like this every week would easily be entrenched in the Top 8.
All I ever want from a team I support is EFFORT and the results....well they generally sort themselves out and that effort last night regardless of the result was an A+, so I give the thumbs up to the players and hope they can maintain that tempo for the remaining games to do themselves and the fans Proud !

The having a go perspective ......

"Have a go yah Mug"

Having a go is the great Aussie Expected thing to do
Having a Go is a Given
Only Mugs do not have a go

And only the Great Manly resilient teams over come adversity and prevail and win and live up to our Legendary clubs Benchmark winning standards and make our club Great and Proud

Lower our legendary clubs Great Winning standards and we stand for Nothing great
240948987_10226342376526581_7626396401424013754_n.jpg

A lot of fans will be proudly watching their teams compete for the title
Mathematically we can still be part amongst those proud fans
It is not over until it is over

Usually hate praising the team for their effort after a loss, as I think that's what the loser teams do (and we are probably one of them) but given most would've picked us to lose by 30+ and we were missing a bunch of players, they had a good crack overall. Take out a few of the dumb plays like Schuster kicking on first tackle for the only player slower than he is, DCE going for and missing an early 40/20 attempt and Garrick's ridiculous kick we probably go close to winning that game. Not to mention Penrith's tries came off an intercept, 2 knock ons in one play, Garrick's kick and the last being at the end of the game when the weight of possession and field position finally gave in.

Don't think I'll ever be sold on Seibold but our defence (on the try line in particular) does seem to be improved on recent years, and he does deserve some credit for that. Unfortunately our attack is just lost and devoid of ideas. Some could say Schuster is down on confidence and not linking well with DCE (true), we have no threat from dummy half (true) and our pack gets dominated most weeks (also true), but I think the main problem is the same it's been for the last 5 years - when you have arguably the best player in the world when fit, on over $1 million a year and they keep going down, it's hard to replace that when so much of your attack is based around that one player

I don't think that level is sustainable for our team yet......
As long as we keep the team and the coach in their comfort zones and keep being proud of their effort loses . We will never be sustainable

I enjoyed much of the game last night and not going to repeat what was crap about it from officials ect....what's done is done.
The players executed some great footy that first half, including super sharp shifts to get outside the defence and create opportunities and make yardage to have Penrith on the back foot with 4 - 1 linebreaks and Penrith VERY lucky to be 12 - 12 at half time in every way.
I think due to injuries and wear, they lacked the 90% completions 2nd half which was closer to 50%, which happens under fatigue and playing some "risk for reward" footy.
What really pleased me was the defence, with some nice dominant tackles, decisive shutdowns from outside and EVERY player really put in against the dominant team of the NRL.
Even the kick/chase was a Massive improvement and this is a 1% area we have been poor most of 2023.
Some will play the old "how do you get excited about a loss" card.....my answer is I'm proud of the effort the players put in and have no doubt "IF" we played like this every week would easily be entrenched in the Top 8.
All I ever want from a team I support is EFFORT and the results....well they generally sort themselves out and that effort last night regardless of the result was an A+, so I give the thumbs up to the players and hope they can maintain that tempo for the remaining games to do themselves and the fans Proud !
110%.

It was some of the best footy we’ve played all year. The way we played with speed and purpose was refreshing. It’s like playing a good team woke them up to the realisation that churning out the same conservative crap was not gonna cut it.

In saying that, the coaching strategy was both a blessing and a curse. It woke them up to realisation that risk would need to be taken but that inadvertently positions the side to believe that they probably can’t win and so started taking unnecessary risks. There still needed to be a level of control.

I was really proud of the effort in defence as well. The reality is we don’t have the roster to compete with Penrith right now so all we can ask for is a genuine crack and we got that!

The most annoying aspect from the game last night was that it was there for the taking. The main reasons for the loss were partly due to the Ref and Bunker crew, and partly us, just taking the wrong options proved costly in the end. All in all a much better team performance and something to build on in the upcoming Warriors game.

I'm not proud they had a real go, I think they have a go every game. The change in attacking mindset was the most noticeable thing for me. And that was clearly a deliberate switch the coach can take credit for.

In some of our games, eg v the Chooks last week, we had a lot of time in attacking positions and our attack, if you can even call it that, stunk! With the loss of even more forward power and up against a seriously intimidatingly powerful Pennies it might have been the last straw that made the coach(es?) realise something big had to change.

Long may it last!

Our strength includes the ability of Koula Saab and Garrick to make long busts and from now on I'd love to see us play that attacking style. Goes withouth saying that if we also had Turbo and an in-form Schu we'd be even more dangerous, but we don't so we go with what we have.
Let's keep attacking, Manly. Parks down, Burbo down, next men up!

I'm not proud they had a real go, I think they have a go every game. The change in attacking mindset was the most noticeable thing for me. And that was clearly a deliberate switch the coach can take credit for.

In some of our games, eg v the Chooks last week, we had a lot of time in attacking positions and our attack, if you can even call it that, stunk! With the loss of even more forward power and up against a seriously intimidatingly powerful Pennies it might have been the last straw that made the coach(es?) realise something big had to change.

Long may it last!
Of course they try each week but have a go as in ‘take the game on’. They fight each week but they don’t always go after the game. You could see Cherry Evans just go after Penrith with the ball and it was great to see. Not just an attacking mindset to spread the ball to the edges but a willingness to take the line on and all those things.

Expected a 44-12 flogging so overall ok with the result. Given we lost Ben T and Parker at crucial times, the knock on/held no try, try and the brain explosion kick return I didn't think it was too bad. And to be fair we haven't thrown the towel in like previous seasons at this point of the year. Maybe a sign of some improvement in culture and effort.

It was great to see them throwing the ball around and play some nice footy as apposed to the boring one out hit ups. The players also looked like they were enjoying that style of play.
Maybe an opportunity to get the Walker brothers in as attacking coaches....now that will be something to see

The mix of plays kept Penrith guessing all night and with better execution could have caused an upset. I wasn’t expecting a win last night and was expecting a 30+ point thrashing so for me it was a refreshing approach to the game. No doubt others will try this against them as it unsettled them. Even though it was a loss i must say the coaching staff did well to think outside of the box

The thing is; did we only play like that because it was Penrith and the only chance you stand to beat them is to play unstructured footy? Or is it a blueprint for the future which should only be better with a healthier set of troops? I hope for the latter but expect it's the former.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8