History never repeats - I tell myself before I go to sleep

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Catch_20_2

Reserve Grader
I wonder how many of us were there that day when the mightly Northern Eagles took on the Penny Panthers in the last round of the regular season in 2002. From memory a win would have catapulted us into the glory of the finals. Alas it wasn't to be and the lowly placed Panthers condemned us into NRL obscurity to the tune of 68-28. Ahh those were the days .... let's hope Split Enz were right and we don't have a repeat of 15 years ago !!!!!!!!

Stayed till the end that day and clapped Beaver off - in those days he was a one man army.

History never repeats
I tell myself before I go to sleep
Don't say the words you might regret (We're going to be in the top 4)
We've lost before you know we can't forget

There was a team I try to follow
They dealt my love a savage blow
I was so young, too blind to see
But anyway that's History

Match Scoresheet
Manly
Tries
Mitch CREARY
Shayne DUNLEY
Steve MENZIES
Robert MILES
Mark SHIPWAY
Goals
Jason FERRIS (4/5)

Penrith
Tries
Rhys WESSER (3)
Luke LEWIS (3)
Ryan GIRDLER (2)
John CROSS
Craig GOWER
Trent WATERHOUSE
Lee HOPKINS
Goals
Ryan GIRDLER
(10/12)

Last edited:
I wonder how many of us were there that day when the mightly Northern Eagles took on the Penny Panthers in the last round of the regular season in 2002. From memory a win would have catapulted us into the glory of the finals. Alas it wasn't to be and the lowly placed Panthers condemned us into NRL obscurity to the tune of 68-28. Ahh those were the days .... let's hope Split Enz were right and we don't have a repeat of 15 years ago !!!!!!!!

Stayed till the end that day and clapped Beaver off - in those days he was a one man army.

Match Scoresheet
Manly
Tries
Mitch CREARY
Shayne DUNLEY
Steve MENZIES
Robert MILES
Mark SHIPWAY
Goals
Jason FERRIS (4/5)

Penrith
Tries
Rhys WESSER (3)
Luke LEWIS (3)
Ryan GIRDLER (2)
John CROSS
Craig GOWER
Trent WATERHOUSE
Lee HOPKINS
Goals
Ryan GIRDLER
(10/12)

Yep I was there, didn't we get back to like 28-22 at one point then gone

Robert Miles? I don't remember him.
The Riff were building that year and when you look at their scorers they had some nascent players who were about to burst forward.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of us were there that day when the mightly Northern Eagles took on the Penny Panthers in the last round of the regular season in 2002. From memory a win would have catapulted us into the glory of the finals. Alas it wasn't to be and the lowly placed Panthers condemned us into NRL obscurity to the tune of 68-28.
Yep I too was there that day and remember it well, for the wrong reasons :tmi: Had everything to play for but instead of catapulting into the finals, we capitulated out the back door :eek:

Someone said in another thread after last week's loss that it was the worst loss they had ever seen/been to. Reading that immediately took my thoughts to this loss - it was tons more horrendous :(

Amazing how times have changed. The only coverage of this game in Brisbane was when ABC radio went "around the grounds". What a disaster of a game that was.

History never repeats
I tell myself before I go to sleep
Don't say the words you might regret (We're going to be in the top 4)
We've lost before you know we can't forget

There was a team I try to follow
They dealt my love a savage blow
I was so young, too blind to see
But anyway that's History

Match Scoresheet
Manly
Tries
Mitch CREARY
Shayne DUNLEY
Steve MENZIES
Robert MILES
Mark SHIPWAY
Goals
Jason FERRIS (4/5)

Penrith
Tries
Rhys WESSER (3)
Luke LEWIS (3)
Ryan GIRDLER (2)
John CROSS
Craig GOWER
Trent WATERHOUSE
Lee HOPKINS
Goals
Ryan GIRDLER
(10/12)

I was there unfortunately

I had erased that.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I was at that game, too. Not a happy memory. And despite the talent in that Panthers team they'd had a horror year and really had nothing to play for.

They were up 44-6 at half time. I do remember they gave us some hope early in the 2nd half .... but Gower Girdler Wesser just cut us to ribbons every time they had some possession. You're right - check their team out in the link below ..... fair few of their premiership team there.

Look at their backline ... aside from Girdler at 29 .... all quality youngsters.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2002/round-26/northern-eagles-vs-penrith/stats.html
The worst thing was we were in 7th spot prior to that round & Panthers were 13th.
Lucky it was the Northern Eagles & not Manly.

Yeap I remember the scenario. I remember looking the newspaper doing the calculation on our chances to make it. Then we screwed it up.

Time for redemption.

It was bad enough just watching game unfold on the Fox tel broadcast that Sunday afternoon , 2002 so i am sure that it would have been even worse actually watching it at Brookie .The pre match expectation was that Manly [ Northern Eagles] were still likely to win but of course nothing much went right , where in the Panther"s case , everything they tried seemed to come off. Still a good effort to reach that end of season position for the Northern Eagles that year . This approaching game however seems a quite different scenario , as the present Manly team is much better credentialed and really should be competitive enough to match and get on top of the Panthers next Saturday with surely so much at stake. Incidentally . Robert Miles was a quite versatile outside back - full back recruit from the Roosters and a good and speedy finisher who i thought may have had a longer stay at Manly . Can only hope and expect that history will be more favorable to Manly"s finals cause this week approaching .

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10