1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hicks and Monaghan.

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Heisenberg, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 1
    Just sitting at home in Scotland and wondering what got me into Manly. I used to Watch Warrington quite a bit and Chris Hicks and Micheal Monaghan where stars in esl. Just wondering how the the 2 are held in your eyes?
    Obviously played in losing /winning finals in 2007 and 2008.
    Now, I don't give a rats a**e what happens in superleague.
    No 1 fan in Scotland.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Peter C

Peter C Well-Known Member

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +741 / 16
    Both Monaghan and Hicks did not play in the 2008 Grand Final, both were rated highly by Manly fans, especially Monaghan, who had a sensational game against the Cowboys in a grand final qualifier in 2007.
    They say that Hicks was the fastest at Manly over 100m, and that included Brett Stewart

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Waz13

Waz13 Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 2
    Likes em both and both played sound roles in the manly rebuild era. Hicks could alway sniff out a try and Mina's was useful at both half and then hooker when orford arrived.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 1
    Appreciate the reply guys.i remember Hicks scored a hatrick at Wembley for Wolves and Monaghan was a schemer of the highest order. I'm trying to soak up as much as I can about this club. Past and present. Cheers .

5. Enigma

Enigma Active Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 8
    I was a huge fan of Chris Hicks and at one stage in a mid table team I am sure he was near the top of the whole comp for tackle busts. Very effective in the middle of the field with these fantastic runs he used to go on. I can't work out why with his great speed as well why he wasn't scoring more long range tries like Donald and B.Stewart. If Donald got the ball in a bit of space from anywhere on the field you'd have a quick look at the opposition and you could see a certain try if he had a clearish run. I can't recall ever seeing this with Spider. Monaghan was very effective and it is hard to say why he was not a rep player , I wasn't so sad to see him leave but he helped Manly towards a golden run.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,598 / 63
    Monaghan used to cop a flogging on here by some fans.

7. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,159 / 26
    I like them both, particularly Monaghan who was a gritty player with lots of heart. They weren't considered "stars" of the NRL. They certainly weren't considered the type that "will be the one to knock".

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,795 / 122
    Manly signed Monaghan as a young up-and-coming half or 5/8 in 2004. From memory he was not considered a rising star, but was thought of as showing some promise. At the time his signing was a significant boost, because that's low our stocks had sunk.

He always tried his guts out and proved a tremendous competitor, if not a top-flight half. The team was improved with his addition, which helped to lure the next year a young rep quality forward in Kite and a busted old champion forward in Kennedy ... and we were heading for good times.

However, coach Hasler knew that Monaghan was not a halfback capable of taking us all the way, and he went all out to poach Orford from the Storm. Along the way this caused some furore as then part-owner Delmege pulled rank to get Monaghan re-signed.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/S...-the-Max-factor/2005/06/06/1117910241699.html

Monaghan had to move over, and ended up hooker, but continued to improve. Notable moments were his fantastic performance in that Cows finals match @Peter C mentioned, and another game I recall when he won the match at the death with a chip and chase and Des Hasler said he pulled that move out of his 'arsenal'.

Some people thought he went in circles and couldn't cut it as an organiser but I liked him as a player and he played a big role in improving the team as it headed for glory. Tough, skilful, and wholehearted.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,598 / 63
    I remember Matabele having an inverted hard on for him ,always claiming he runs in circles.I think there was a nickname being bandied around here for him too.
    I always rated him though..

• Like Like x 1
  10. nightster

nightster grumpy old bastard

grew up Manly now Byron
    Ratings:
    +1,412 / 43
    some fans on here need a good flogging at times

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,407 / 257
    Ox > Monaghan end of story.

Hicks was solid but I'd remember him more as a Panther than one of ours.

12. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    Wish they wuz back!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +968 / 40
    Was a big fan of both.
    Was over the moon when I heard we signed hicks from Penrith, it's a shame he was another player whose career ended at Parra.

Monaghan was great value and played a big part on the field in our revival years. I remember being worried about the hooking role when he left and the creativity he provided from the role aswell as another kicking option I thought would be a huge loss at the time.

14. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,764 / 100
    ah see yooo Jimmy.

Both were wee rippers.

15. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,741 / 257
    He certainly did and not justified in my opinion, he used to bust his gut for us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Jock

Jock Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Where are you in Scotland Heisenberg. I originally hail from Forfar

17. TerryRandall

TerryRandall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,077 / 38
    I was a big Mona's fan. But des had a set against him alright - remember he was given some sort of ultimatum over a 4 game stretch to justify his re-signing - from memory he got MoM in the last game to make it difficult for des to drop the axe. Champion competitor though. I never thought the gap between him and ox was that great, though ox proved me wrong in the 08 GF.

18. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Monas was a better hooker than half. Solid and always gave 100%, but did have a touch of concentric circles about him at halfback. Liked his work at hooker though.

Hicks was a very good winger who could cover centre more than adequately. I liked him, good finisher and its a pity he didn't stay around for 2008, but his absence saw the rise of the Wolfman. Scored a try in 2007 GF. 42 tries in 93 games for Manly isn't a bad strike rate

They were both very good club men and from all reports were popular with their team mates and kept the group tight off the field.

19. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,795 / 122
    The signing of Hicks also gave us one of our greatest ever Manly banners...
    'I love C Hicks and Beaver"
    :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 27
    Hicks goes down as one of our most underrated players in my opinion. In 07 I still believe our wing pairing of Hicks and Robbo was close to the best in the league yet those outside of Manly wouldn't have batted their eyelids at them.