Hasler: Manly still the team to beat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hey Frogz, Kennedy, while I wouldn't put him in the Manly legends' box, maybe a fellow traveller one, certainly came to us at a time when our forwards were going nowhere. I thought he put some 'go forward' and a 'win at all costs' mentality into the scrum. I don't think he needs any denigration. He was very good for us.

Clay said:
I dont think anyone denies Des was a great coach.
What they will deny is that he didn't do turn the club into the success is is today on his own. He had the support staff, the players, and the fans behind the club.

This threads gone a bit off topic, not posting in it anymore
Very good point you made here Clay . Jack Gibson was one of the best coaches and he won Premierships with the Eels and Roosters but he did nothing with the Rabbits and Sharks because he didnt have the players .Des was a great coach who had a great team that did the job. 2V will be just as good if not better!!!

DSM5 said:
Hey Frogz, Kennedy, while I wouldn't put him in the Manly legends' box, maybe a fellow traveller one, certainly came to us at a time when our forwards were going nowhere. I thought he put some 'go forward' and a 'win at all costs' mentality into the scrum. I don't think he needs any denigration. He was very good for us.
Kennedy was inspirational for us !!!

Frogz said:
"Kennedy" oh please.....what did this guy do that gets him so many accolades as a Manly legend

Did I call him a legend? Undoubtably his presence provided a very strong, positive influence on the playing group during his short tenure. To argue otherwise makes little sense.

lsz said:
So the fact that Des, according to most on here, was a "control freak" had nothing to do with the players he assembled?

And you've provided a list of players he assembled that happened to win a premiership or two, and I gave you a larger list of recruits that did nothing during their time under him.

Wasn't that the point we were discussing?

The coach can only do so much - he has done much more than most other coaches with developing players

Name me another coach bar Bennett and belly ache who has done a similar job with journey men players

Hamster Huey said:
Frogz said:
"Kennedy" oh please.....what did this guy do that gets him so many accolades as a Manly legend

Did I call him a legend? Undoubtably his presence provided a very strong, positive influence on the playing group during his short tenure. To argue otherwise makes little sense.

lsz said:
So the fact that Des, according to most on here, was a "control freak" had nothing to do with the players he assembled?

And you've provided a list of players he assembled that happened to win a premiership or two, and I gave you a larger list of recruits that did nothing during their time under him.

HH is discussing the fact Des is not the Messiah and some players eg cuthbo did not prosper under his stewardship.

While both points are true, they mask the reality that Des is the one who dragged us up by our bootstraps when we were going nowhere, and made us into a premiership force once again. It is a truism that it's the players that win matches. But it’s the coach that builds teams, and a winning culture, and to argue otherwise makes little sense.

[/quote]

HH is discussing the fact Des is not the Messiah and some players eg cuthbo did not prosper under his stewardship.

While both points are true, they mask the reality that Des is the one who dragged us up by our bootstraps when we were going nowhere, and made us into a premiership force once again. It is a truism that it's the players that win matches. But it’s the coach that builds teams, and a winning culture, and to argue otherwise makes little sense.
[/quote]

Totally agree. A pity he traded all this for $$$$$.

Yes. But as we all know, though money will not buy happiness, it will let you be unhappy in nice places. (After you leave Belmore.)

Cambo said:
lsz said:
I can understand why people are hurt at the way Des left the club however the revisionist history that is being undertaken is a joke

He was a very good coach who built up a very good support team (the very ones that helped him along)

Yes it was awful the way he left the club but there is not doubting his skill in getting Manly where we are now
What you are posting is correct but rl is an emotional game and people are reacting that way because of what unfolded when he left.

Deep down all would admit des was a great coach if he wasn't no of us would give a rats that he's at the dogs.

Mate, in my way of thinking, the difference between a good coach, and a great coach, is that a truly great coach will stay strong when the world is against him, when things aren't going the way he wants them too, when things COULD be brighter elsewhere, but his passion, loyalty and commitment carry him through.

Beaver wasn't a good player. He was a GREAT player because he showed those things.

Honestly, I really couldn't see Bellamy turning his back on Melbourne, because of coin. Because he had differences with the board. Because he wasn't getting what he wanted all the time.

Then again, I thought the same of Bennett, but think the timing and reasons he left Brisbane may have had mitigant's (son being provided coin for health from 3rd parties cough, cough), but that's just my opinion.

Des' character was well and truly tested, and I'm SURE there were many, many things at board level that weren't falling his way, so I'm not saying he may not have had reasons for being upset.

But when the chips were down, at a time when we had just won a Grand Final, and after the debacle of previous years, he elected to take the easy out, and head to Belmore - rather than showing solidarity, strength, but most importantly, determination through adversity.

That guys, is why in my opinion, people like Des Hasler will always attend awards ceremonies like the Dally'M's. But it's also why he remains seated, eating Orio's and sipping red wine, while character coaches get up and claim award recognition.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Hamster Huey said:
Frogz said:

lsz said:

Again, is it Des alone that does that? What of the senior/experienced players at that time that make a playing group attractive for the youngers kids to hang around. Those guys stay and flourish and suddenly the club looks like an attractive option.

Des, IMO, is a factor in the success but he had his flaws and failures throughout his tenure. The one constant since 2004 is that the playing group continued to grow as players year after year, forming a tight bond that saw NONE of them leave when Des wanted out. Ask them and I'm sure that their drive isn't for the coach or staff; it's about the bloke next to them that they take the field with. Without that from the players, the coach is a passenger.

Hamster Huey said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Hamster Huey said:
Frogz said:

lsz said:

Again, is it Des alone that does that? What of the senior/experienced players at that time that make a playing group attractive for the youngers kids to hang around. Those guys stay and flourish and suddenly the club looks like an attractive option.

Des, IMO, is a factor in the success but he had his flaws and failures throughout his tenure. The one constant since 2004 is that the playing group continued to grow as players year after year, forming a tight bond that saw NONE of them leave when Des wanted out. Ask them and I'm sure that their drive isn't for the coach or staff; it's about the bloke next to them that they take the field with. Without that from the players, the coach is a passenger.

Des lead the whole thing. We can't re write history because of his low low act last year.

However des owes manly more than manly owe des.

As a player manly gave des an opportunity to make first grade and again as a coach manly have des an opportunity in 2004.

Cambo said:
Hamster Huey said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Hamster Huey said:
Frogz said:

lsz said:

Des lead the whole thing. We can't re write history because of his low low act last year.

However des owes manly more than manly owe des.

As a player manly gave des an opportunity to make first grade and again as a coach manly have des an opportunity in 2004.

It's presumputeous to think my comments have anything to do with Des moving on, and are any attempt to 're-write' history.

Rating a player group ahead of a coach in terms of the success (or lack thereof) achieved has always been my opinion. The playing group makes or breaks the coach, whether he bought them in or not.

There are many well respected ex-coaches running around after being moved on from clubs due to dud playing groups, and a history of ordinary coaches getting long gigs on the back of a great playing rosters.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6