Hasler: Manly still the team to beat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ceagle

Bencher
Manly Sea Eagles are favourites for the 2012 NRL title says New Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach Des Hasler ahead of his first season away from Brookvale.

Hasler arrived at Belmore with enormous expectations, following a dramatic move from the premiers Manly in the off-season, inheriting a team that has under-achieved since winning the NRL competition in 2004.

And while he is excited at the talent within his young Bulldogs squad, Hasler says Manly remain the competition favourites.

"You really can't compare the two squads. Manly are the No.1 side out there, every side should be comparing themselves to Manly."

"They're the benchmark."

The two-time premiership-winning coach readily accepts he has taken a major downgrade in playing group by moving from Manly to the Bulldogs - but he sees potential in a young and talented Canterbury squad.

"But this side is young and enthusiastic and they really want to compete."

When he took over at Manly, Hasler required three seasons to rebuild the team from a shambles to semi-finalists; and he didn't miss the finals there for the rest of his coaching tenure.

But Hasler doesn't expect it to take anywhere near as long to reach the top in blue and white.

"Financially and resource wise they are (in a better position than Manly were in 2002)," Hasler said.

It hasn't taken long for Hasler to stamp his authority on the squad, nominating NSW Origin hooker Michael Ennis as his captain, while pushing the team through a gruelling pre-season regime.

The club lost plenty of experience with the retirement of skipper Andrew Ryan, and lots of attacking flair when Gold Coast Titans poached centre Jamal Idris, but Hasler is confident the team has the right players to make Ennis's transition into the job as easy as possible.

"I think having the extra responsibility will add to Michael's game," Hasler said.

"In saying that, he's got plenty of good senior players around him with experience, they're very tight and they work well together."

Hasler-led teams invariably rely on mistake-free football behind a physical pack.

That's been a trait of Bulldogs forwards since the "Dogs of War" bashed their way to four premierships in the 1980s, and Hasler is unlikely to veer too far from that formula with a core of Aiden Tolman, Frank Pritchard, Greg Eastwood and English import James Graham.

"As a forward pack, they've just got to utilise their strengths and what they do well," Hasler said.

"Graham is diligent and professional about how he goes about his training every day."

"He's prepared to work really hard. With a player who boasts the prerequisites, he should do well."

"He's going to have a real impact."

Hasler is also excited about working with dynamic fullback Ben Barba, one of the shining lights for the Bulldogs in 2011, as he topped the try-scoring list with 23 four-pointers.

"He's that little x-factor that every side needs," Hasler said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/manly-sea-eagles-the-benchmark-nrl-team-says-new-canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs-coach-des-hasler/story-fn2mcuj6-1226269974340

I love how he flat out says we have far better players, wonder what the dog player think of that?

Hey Des...go and lick someone elses
arse....we r just cruising under the radar....worry about your own **** fight

He is just covering his money hungry arse in case they don't do well.

They do have some decent players but they also have some average players.

We had some decent players and we also had some average players. Some of those average players became regulars and did the job Des required week in week out. Think Boxhead, Glenn Hall, Vic Mauro ect.

I don't wish the dogs any success whatsoever but no reasonable manly fan can truly deny that Des has a proven ability of turning fringe players in to starters.

So used to hate going under the radar with des ( it was bad for sponsors etc) but now we hate des calling us the benchmark....doing exactly what he used to do with us?

Des is a dog
Des will always be a dog
I dont care for the opinions of a dog
Lets move on a hope for a good 2012

WAMF said:
They do have some decent players but they also have some average players.

We had some decent players and we also had some average players. Some of those average players became regulars and did the job Des required week in week out. Think Boxhead, Glenn Hall, Vic Mauro ect.

I don't wish the dogs any success whatsoever but no reasonable manly fan can truly deny that Des has a proven ability of turning fringe players in to starters.
Des has proven he is a good coach but he is not the Messiah . Adam Cuthbertson had heaps of potential and Des did not bring out the best in him .

Fair enough on cuthbo but the other side of the ledger is much heavier

lsz said:
Fair enough on cuthbo but the other side of the ledger is much heavier

There has been plenty that didn't lift to first-grade standard or maintain previous form, once under Des;

Matthew Cross
Terrence Seu Seu
Chris Bailey
Michael Bani
Shane Neumann
Anthony Suniula
Jack Afamasaga
David Vaealiki
Sione Finefeuiaki
Mitch Creary
Kylie Leuluai
Mark Lennon
Paul Stephenson
Michael Witt
Mailangi Styles
Chad Randall
Sam Harris
Kane Cleal
Ashley Alberts
Solomon Haumono
Ian Donnelly

Shane Rodney
George Rose
Joe Galuvao
David Williams
Glenn Hall
Heath L'Strange
Mark Bryant
Steve Matai
Michael Robertson

All premiership winning players that were either washed up or not wanted

Far more hits than misses

Sorry forgot to add Matt Balin

I have left out players like Foran, DCE, Jamie B, Vic Mauro as they were local juniors

lsz said:
Shane Rodney
George Rose
Joe Galuvao
David Williams
Glenn Hall
Heath L'Strange
Mark Bryant
Steve Matai
Michael Robertson

Bryant and L'strange were average at best plus Ballin has never played for any other club other then Manly, although I do believe he was bronco junior.

All This Des is the messiah is bull****, He had a team of coaching staff he didn't do it all alone.

On a more serious note I hope there is not a precedent that anything Des does or says to the media is posted on this forum. Im sick of reading about it and I don't care what Des does. Des is a dog, If you want to discuss him head over to the the kennel where 10,000 Habibs will assist you in stroking Desmonds Ego

I can understand why people are hurt at the way Des left the club however the revisionist history that is being undertaken is a joke

He was a very good coach who built up a very good support team (the very ones that helped him along)

Yes it was awful the way he left the club but there is not doubting his skill in getting Manly where we are now

lsz said:
I can understand why people are hurt at the way Des left the club however the revisionist history that is being undertaken is a joke

He was a very good coach who built up a very good support team (the very ones that helped him along)

Yes it was awful the way he left the club but there is not doubting his skill in getting Manly where we are now

It isn't revisionism to counter a stance with some facts. As it is, I think you're also guilty of putting too much credit on the coach, when it would appear that the strength of the playing group is a massive factor in getting the best out of individuals.

How many of Melbournes forwards in the last 6 years have left the club and maintained their reputation? Very, very few. They were good at Melbourne because they had Smith driving them around the park, with Cronk, Slater and Inglis adding the icing.

If we didn't have the likes of Kennedy, Orford and Lyon in the side during various periods of Des' time at the club, it is a very good chance that we wouldn't have seen many of those names you mentioned kick on without those imports qualities.

"Kennedy" oh please.....what did this guy do that gets him so many accolades as a Manly legend

So the fact that Des, according to most on here, was a "control freak" had nothing to do with the players he assembled?

lsz said:

What you are posting is correct but rl is an emotional game and people are reacting that way because of what unfolded when he left.

Deep down all would admit des was a great coach if he wasn't no of us would give a rats that he's at the dogs.

I dont think anyone denies Des was a great coach.
What they will deny is that he didn't do turn the club into the success is is today on his own. He had the support staff, the players, and the fans behind the club.

This threads gone a bit off topic, not posting in it anymore

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4