Fifita article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-/cronulla...t-quit-to-be-a-carpenter-20150409-1mhmzu.html

Interesting read for a number of reasons
1. We tend to forget that players are fallible (and human) including the stress they are are under. I would be shocked if this was not a far larger issue than what is reported
2. It is clear des still advocates back ending...which is why it is impossible to tell who is under the cap etc

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-/cronulla...t-quit-to-be-a-carpenter-20150409-1mhmzu.html

1. We tend to forget that players are fallible (and human) including the stress they are are under. I would be shocked if this was not a far larger issue than what is reported
2. It is clear des still advocates back ending...which is why it is impossible to tell who is under the cap etc
So when Des goes shopping for a new team we know the Dogs are about to self destruct

Read that article and it surprised me somewhat. he always seems such a easy going fun loving guy going by those footy show cameos of him. Just goes to show you never can tell.

Feel bad for him and its not really any of our business but I don't think you go to rehab for depression (you seek treatment). There something major missing from the article being an alcohol or drug dependency. The depression may be linked but you get rehabilitated from your dependency.

This is the problem with league journalism - they reveal a little and expect it to be enough when you could help more people by telling the whole story - warts and all. Aussies love a redemption story.

Massive respect to Fifita for coming out and talking about this, depression is a horrible thing that unless you have suffered from it then you will never truly understand. It goes to show that if a rep footballer earning huge amounts of money can get depression, then anyone can. Thank you for sharing this Mr Fifita

Feel bad for him and its not really any of our business but I don't think you go to rehab for depression (you seek treatment). There something major missing from the article being an alcohol or drug dependency. The depression may be linked but you get rehabilitated from your dependency.

This is the problem with league journalism - they reveal a little and expect it to be enough when you could help more people by telling the whole story - warts and all. Aussies love a redemption story.
I work in the Mental Health field and while you are correct that alcohol and drug addictions do play a part in Depression it is not always the case. Mental Health Rehab facilities don't just involve Detox/Addictions.

From reading the article it appears his Depression stems from Social pressures of being in the limelight, financial pressure regards the Dogs deal and Family factors.

While it could be possible the article did leave some possible alcohol and drug dependencies out the Depression seems the major issue. Either way I am glad his family intervened and got him help and he is managing his Depression.

To me it is a pointless article from someone who should be concentrating on himself and family before promoting himself as on the mend at such an early stage.

It is a Mental Health and personal mindset issue not a Mental Illness.

It really gets to me these footballers saying "I need to set my family up for life"
I've managed to start setting up my family with a combined house hold income of $120k! These guys are earning double and triple that even after the taxman has taken his share!

I work in the Mental Health field and while you are correct that alcohol and drug addictions do play a part in Depression it is not always the case. Mental Health Rehab facilities don't just involve Detox/Addictions.

From reading the article it appears his Depression stems from Social pressures of being in the limelight, financial pressure regards the Dogs deal and Family factors.

While it could be possible the article did leave some possible alcohol and drug dependencies out the Depression seems the major issue. Either way I am glad his family intervened and got him help and he is managing his Depression.
Thanks for clarifying that - appreciate it

He is a quality human and really good player and it takes guts to deal with serious demons like that.

He sounds a lot happier now and that is the best news and hopefully he can get back the form that made him a feared front rower in 2013.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
Must be true-it was in the paper lol

Every human being struggles with life. I was just in Vietnam for a couple of months of work, and many of them would love to set their families up for life.
Most of these footy players are just meat heads, I couldn't give a toss about their private life, as they would not give a toss about mine.
Anyone with depression, get to a doctor and get diagnosed...simples!

To me it is a pointless article from someone who should be concentrating on himself and family before promoting himself as on the mend at such an early stage.

It is a Mental Health and personal mindset issue not a Mental Illness.
It is not pointless if it means that someone will be inclined to seek help and find a way to cope with their demons.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4