1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fifita article

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by lsz, Apr 10, 2015.

1. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-/cronulla...t-quit-to-be-a-carpenter-20150409-1mhmzu.html

Interesting read for a number of reasons
    1. We tend to forget that players are fallible (and human) including the stress they are are under. I would be shocked if this was not a far larger issue than what is reported
    2. It is clear des still advocates back ending...which is why it is impossible to tell who is under the cap etc

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,404 / 257
    So when Des goes shopping for a new team we know the Dogs are about to self destruct

3. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Read that article and it surprised me somewhat. he always seems such a easy going fun loving guy going by those footy show cameos of him. Just goes to show you never can tell.

4. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,635 / 74
    I prescribe a move to Narrabeen

5. Loobs

Ratings:
    +6,404 / 257
    Feel bad for him and its not really any of our business but I don't think you go to rehab for depression (you seek treatment). There something major missing from the article being an alcohol or drug dependency. The depression may be linked but you get rehabilitated from your dependency.

This is the problem with league journalism - they reveal a little and expect it to be enough when you could help more people by telling the whole story - warts and all. Aussies love a redemption story.

6. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    You'de be surprised what a smile can actually hide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,244 / 131
    I am depressed being a Manly supporter these days

• Like Like x 3
  8. Baz

Baz Beaver's Headgear

Ratings:
    +263 / 2
    Massive respect to Fifita for coming out and talking about this, depression is a horrible thing that unless you have suffered from it then you will never truly understand. It goes to show that if a rep footballer earning huge amounts of money can get depression, then anyone can. Thank you for sharing this Mr Fifita

• Like Like x 2
  9. Technical Coach

Technical Coach Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +863 / 45
    I don't think so

10. Jax24

Jax24 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0
    I work in the Mental Health field and while you are correct that alcohol and drug addictions do play a part in Depression it is not always the case. Mental Health Rehab facilities don't just involve Detox/Addictions.

From reading the article it appears his Depression stems from Social pressures of being in the limelight, financial pressure regards the Dogs deal and Family factors.

While it could be possible the article did leave some possible alcohol and drug dependencies out the Depression seems the major issue. Either way I am glad his family intervened and got him help and he is managing his Depression.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Technical Coach

Technical Coach Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +863 / 45
    To me it is a pointless article from someone who should be concentrating on himself and family before promoting himself as on the mend at such an early stage.

It is a Mental Health and personal mindset issue not a Mental Illness.

12. Kevinward777

Kevinward777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,240 / 31
    Thanks Dr Phil.

13. PaulyD

PaulyD Member

picnic point
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    It really gets to me these footballers saying "I need to set my family up for life"
    I've managed to start setting up my family with a combined house hold income of $120k! These guys are earning double and triple that even after the taxman has taken his share!

14. Loobs

Ratings:
    +6,404 / 257
    Thanks for clarifying that - appreciate it

• Like Like x 2
  15. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    He is a quality human and really good player and it takes guts to deal with serious demons like that.

He sounds a lot happier now and that is the best news and hopefully he can get back the form that made him a feared front rower in 2013.

• Like Like x 1
  16. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    A change of club would also do him some good . . . . @:)
    A change is as good as a holiday !

17. Jax24

Jax24 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0
    No probs Loobs. I don't blame your line of thinking regards journalists as well. We as Manly supporters know all to well how they can be lol.

18. anthonyb1965

anthonyb1965 GO Manly Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +504 / 15
    Really? Stiff upper lip and get on with it? FMD

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wombat Legacy

Wombat Legacy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,906 / 114
    Must be true-it was in the paper lol

Every human being struggles with life. I was just in Vietnam for a couple of months of work, and many of them would love to set their families up for life.
    Most of these footy players are just meat heads, I couldn't give a toss about their private life, as they would not give a toss about mine.
    Anyone with depression, get to a doctor and get diagnosed...simples!

20. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    It is not pointless if it means that someone will be inclined to seek help and find a way to cope with their demons.

• Like Like x 2