Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 16, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
34 CommBank Stadium
17 Jun 2023 17:30
79:12 minute

Match Stats

The Eels didn't win - we handed them the game through repeated schoolboy errors. A genuinely inept display with no leadership at all. Tuipulotu deserves to be dropped. If he's not injured from this game, Saab will retain his place. Anyway, not much to look forward to. As they say in the classics, it's only a game :)
Nailed it with "no leadership at all". We miss the big 3s skills for sure but we miss their drive and direction more.

He labelled himself that Grassy
I rest my case. I’d love to believe him but his consistency tells me otherwise. Just goes to show how valuable DCE is in the halves. DCE defence alone out shines Shyster and even Foran at the age he is with a busted body can defend better. History shows that nearly all the best players are leaders. Shyster is no leader and so far I can’t even see the making of one. To be a leader he needs to put up more than just his mouth.

I don't think we're inconsistent in the sense of failing to turn up for the contest on occasions; we just aren't one of the good sides in the competition. When we win, we exceed our ability and when we lose, we are where we should be with this roster. The problem is our supporter base get excited by these odd wins and assume we are on the crest of wave. The reality is we are no different to the Tigers, Knights, Dogs, etc. Every one in the RL community knows that when one of those clubs jag a big win against a top side, it's a one off. For some reason, we haven't worked out that we're in the same league. A big win for Manly is not the start of a dynasty, it's just a mirage, the same as it is for the other bottom 8 sides.
That is an incredibly good take - well said.

It is not only a game
It is the Great reputation of legendary club that is being tarnished

This thread could be a doozy.

One of the worst efforts from a Manly team since… The last seven weeks of last season? We were truly woeful in every aspect of the game. Our players can't catch, can't tackle, and can't run. And that's just the back three, who put in possibly the worst performance of a back three at NRL level that I've ever seen.

I wish I could say it was a one-off dud, but really, it was more like the culmination of everything that has been wrong with this team for years. We play rugby league as if we've materialised from another dimension and are determined to revolutionise the game by doing everything ass-backwards. We hate possession so much that, even when we do manage to hold onto the ball for an entire set, we just don't know what to do with it. We look like we're in slow-motion. And we are not very good at rugby league.
When everyone plays at their best we are a delight to watch.

BUT we lack the knowledge/desire/heart (probably all three) to stay in the fight.

Our mental application falters and then errors come and once we are on the back foot we can't fight out of it.

That's why we see games like last week against the Dolphins. Everything went our way and we weren't truly challenged so the win came easily to us.

It masks over the fact that if we face adversity (whether it be self inflected, a poor ref decision or an opposition team on fire) we are incapacable of overcoming it.

I think with the players we have it is a mixture of some are not talented enough, some are too green and haven't built that toughness, some aren't passionate enough and some try too hard in an effort to make up for the short comings of others.

Getting back into the fight can be coached, but only of you have the right type of players.

And I am not convinced from what we have shown so far this year that we do...

The reality is we are no different to the Tigers, Knights, Dogs, etc. sty, it's just a mirage, the same as it is for the other bottom 8 sides.
This is the shame of it all ...
We were once the Extraordinary dominant club and now we are no different than the Ordinary Tigers Knights and Dogs

We have failed to live up to our Legendary clubs great premiership winning standards for years

Well that was beyond disappointing. It actually hurt to watch this game initially but now I am just incredibly angry. What has happened to our club?

Season after season, I have hope that maybe this year will be different. But it has not been different at all for a very long time. We are just making up the numbers and the corrupt NRL has certainly not helped matters at all.

The thing is, our players still get paid win, lose or draw and clearly Seibs and Flannagan are also here for a pay packet, nothing else. These two have done absolutely nothing to improve our team. Our recruitment is rubbish and our forward planning has been missing for years. We have not had any go forward for a very long time and and that to me is the responsibility of the owner.

Is Manly a tax right off for the owner because it certainly is not a successful 'business' and has not been for years?

It is different for us fans who follow our team because we have real passion for the Manly Sea Eagles.
I just feel for the die hard fans who get very little back but give so much. I know I will always be a Manly fan, but I just cant stomach the way things are at the moment. Whats the definition of insanity, doing the same things and expecting different results? We need change, structure, belief and to do the little things consistently. As well as recruiting decent talent, not has been's.

Not to mention the corrupt NRL, the broadcasters and the betting agencies all of which, have their own agendas. They all have influence on the game and the results. Far too many hands in the pie, ego's and a massive lack of accountability.

It is just heart breaking, Manly is clearly struggling and footy is not like it used to be. So to be able to compete in such a corrupt competition we need to be top notch and we are just not anywhere near it.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Getting back into the fight can be coached, but only of you have the right type of players.
And I am not convinced from what we have shown so far this year that we do...
We have enough quality players
We dont have the right coach . That Broncos wooden spoon is Haunting
and I am convinced from what he has shown so far this year

This is the shame of it all ...
We were once the Extraordinary dominant club and now we are no different than the Ordinary Tigers Knights and Dogs

We have failed to live up to our Legendary clubs great premiership winning standards for years
How true and how sad to see to see us like this.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8