Des deserves more respect and support

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
I understand everyone has a right to their opinion and rugby league supporters are generally a very fickle bunch. In expressing my opinion I am a little deflated by the plethora of negative comments and judgments directed at Des, DCE and the Turbo bros of late. If by some chance there is more to the game these days than it being purely a business we have in this group of individuals a genuine spirit/passion for the club. ( yeah I suspect Dessie is a little bit more sentimental than he lets on) he has spent most of his long career in rugby league associated with the club. Both as a player and a coach winning! with the club.
If you look at his history as both a player and coach one of his key attributes has been his relentless tenacity. I believe this rare tenacity to succeed will again pay dividends, it’s just a matter of time. I think those who believe he has become a dinosaur should look more closely at the game, it is still about running hard, tackling hard and yeah holding on to the ball and of course a sustainable team/club spirit. I think the club learned this lesson from the Barrett experience. ( confusing slick contemporary presentation for substance)
I hope the latest news is true regarding the 2 year extension. GO Manly!

I understand everyone has a right to their opinion and rugby league supporters are generally a very fickle bunch. In expressing my opinion I am a little deflated by the plethora of negative comments and judgments directed at Des, DCE and the Turbo bros of late. If by some chance there is more to the game these days than it being purely a business we have in this group of individuals a genuine spirit/passion for the club. ( yeah I suspect Dessie is a little bit more sentimental than he lets on) he has spent most of his long career in rugby league associated with the club. Both as a player and a coach winning! with the club.
If you look at his history as both a player and coach one of his key attributes has been his relentless tenacity. I believe this rare tenacity to succeed will again pay dividends, it’s just a matter of time. I think those who believe he has become a dinosaur should look more closely at the game, it is still about running hard, tackling hard and yeah holding on to the ball and of course a sustainable team/club spirit. I think the club learned this lesson from the Barrett experience. ( confusing slick contemporary presentation for substance)
I hope the latest news is true regarding the 2 year extension. GO Manly!
I think all MWSE supporters respect Hasler for his past outstanding contributions to the club as a player, and as a coach.
However, that was then, and this is now. His achievements in the past were pretty special, but his legacy is being tarnished by his lack of success with the team, since his return.
He has to change his team selection criteria, defensive structures and much more immediately.

Hopefully this sudden media attention makes the players and Des up the ante in turning around our form and confidence slide that has predated to mid-2020. We have simply forgotten how to win (and defend). A lot of it I don’t put down to Des (bar selections at times), such as the injuries, fainu situation, a few mentally weak players and the awful (and almsot unavoidably awful) 2020 season that effectively ruined everyone’s self-belief.

Jake’s passion does make backlash quite harsh, from myself included. Seemed like he nearly cried in the interview today! Although I think he does need to play a lot better. Dce is a whole different story, and while I like him he is all over the shop atm.

Dce, jake and tom all try hard, there’s no denying that. When we are in form they are amazing, but it doesn’t seem like they are able to carry our squad and turn around our bad form to get to this place. So, who lifts and does that for us?

Des must stay and keep building the side that has been hamstrung by injury, poor TBaz cap management and suspension (fainu). He hasn’t been able to change the side much over 2019-21 due to the cap and fainu but this offseason is a good opportunity to clean out the deadwood (a lot of which are off-contract) and sure up this side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely think Des deserves more respect and understanding, although think that this terrible start to the season will force him to really take a good look at what is going wrong (alot of it I don’t think is his fault but rather something behind the scenes w/ player relationships or self-belief after the injury-filled disaster that was 2020). He needs to make some selection changes because our squad has been so similar for so long and crave change. Hopefully this sudden media attention makes the players and Des up the ante in turning around our form and confidence slide that has predated to mid-2020. We have simply forgotten how to win (and defend).

Jake’s passion does make backlash quite harsh, from myself included. Seemed like he nearly cried in the interview today! Although I think he does need to play a lot better. Dce is a whole different story, and while I like him he is all over the shop atm.

Dce, jake and tom all try hard, there’s no denying that. When we are in form they are amazing, but it doesn’t seem like they are able to carry our squad and turn around our bad form to get to this place. So, who lifts and does that for us? For mine it’s the new boys, Davey, Foran, Saab and maybe even Walker. Des must stay and keep building the side that has been hamstrung by injury and suspension (fainu). He hasn’t been able to change the side much over 2019-21 due to the cap and fainu but this offseason is a good opportunity to clean out the deadwood (a lot of which are off-contract) and sure up this side.
Agree here. I let a lot of last season slide due to our over performing in 19, Covid and shocking run with injuries. We started well until Turbo went down. Even was ok with some of the selections as I’d try to rationalize why Des made them. I’ve cooled down after Sat evening and will be upbeat for our hone opener. I actually think we can get on top of Souths in the forwards. But Des absolutely needs to start making some personal changes. Unlike some others here I don’t mean wholesale, but there’d be at least 2 or 3 made for this week. If he picks the same side again, I actually worry about the message it sends the guys. Play crap and still get picked??? As I understand it Des is on for 2 more years. Do sone reflecting Dessie and start making sone changes with your approach. I do believe he still has the ability to motivate his team and we will see the guys playing well again soon. Lastly, the Jake critism imo has been way over the top. Guy busts his ass each weekend for us. It wasn’t him running sone clown up the corso or slipping on the soap. He can get a bit predictable but I think he’ll get back to some form when we get sone rythym. It’s only one game down and there’s a long season to go. There was nobody more pumped for Sat than me and I was disgusted with what was dished up. But it’s in the past now, so onto supporting the boys and Des this week v Souths.

I think all MWSE supporters respect Hasler for his past outstanding contributions to the club as a player, and as a coach.
However, that was then, and this is now. His achievements in the past were pretty special, but his legacy is being tarnished by his lack of success with the team, since his return.
He has to change his team selection criteria, defensive structures and much more immediately.
Wow talk about fickle! his 1st year back with us was quite successful taking over from Barrett, agree last year was very disappointing and he we are now just completed the 1st round in 2021 and you suggest his reputation is tarnished?

Its classic silvertails ,He was the saviour two years ago,now he is the devil.
We are a very speculative and fickle bunch.
The internet lets people think they have a voice ,and everyone should hear it.
It is probably the downfall of society as we see it .

Its classic silvertails ,He was the saviour two years ago,now he is the devil.
We are a very speculative and fickle bunch.
The internet lets people think they have a voice ,and everyone should hear it.
It is probably the downfall of society as we see it .

ST: Des, dce and turbos are terrible!

~see them irl~

ST: Hi guys ....may I get a pic and an autograph???

Wow talk about fickle! his 1st year back with us was quite successful taking over from Barrett, agree last year was very disappointing and he we are now just completed the 1st round in 2021 and you suggest his reputation is tarnished?
Yes his reputation is being tarnished right now. Firstly, numbers do not lie, and you cannot argue with statistics. His win/loss record since he went to the Bulldogs shows a drop of 12 percentage points over time. (59% to 47%). If we look at the Manly glory years in isolation he was at/or around 75%. Secondly, I didn't say his legacy HAD BEEN tarnished. It is currently BEING tarnished by his lack of coaching success at the Eagles right now. A win/loss record of 11 losses and 1 win since the wheels fell off mid-season last year, could arguably demonstrate that his previous success as a coach is a thing of the past. Can he turn this around? I hope so for the sake of the club and the fans.

However, some of his past strengths as a coach, are arguably now weaknesses in the modern game. His coaching style hasn't evolved, as the game itself has evolved. His recruitment strategy seems to be all over the place, without any clear direction or methodology behind it.

In previous posts I have stated that I wasn't a massive fan of Des's return to the club. He had moved on, and I thought we as a club had moved on as well. I hope he proves me wrong this year, and the next, but if he doesn't.. ...yes his legacy will have been tarnished irrevocably. Right now there is still time to turn that around.

Go Manly.

Last edited:
Yes his reputation is being tarnished right now. Firstly, numbers do not lie, and you cannot argue with statistics. His win/loss record since he went to the Bulldogs shows a drop of 12 percentage points over time. (59% to 47%). If we look at the Manly glory years in isolation he was at/or around 75%. Secondly, I didn't say his legacy HAD BEEN tarnished. It is currently BEING tarnished by his lack of coaching success at the Eagles right now. A win/loss record of 11 losses and 1 win since the wheels fell off mid-season last year, could arguably demonstrate that his previous success as a coach is a thing of the past. Can he turn this around? I hope so for the sake of the club and the fans.

However, some of his past strengths as a coach, are arguably now weaknesses in the modern game. His coaching style hasn't evolved, as the game itself has evolved. His recruitment strategy seems to be all over the place, without any clear direction or methodology behind it.

In previous posts I have stated that I wasn't a massive fan of Des's return to the club. He had moved on, and I thought we as a club had moved on as well. I hope he proves me wrong this year, and the next, but if he doesn't.. ...yes his legacy will have been tarnished irrevocably. Right now there is still time to turn that around.

Go Manly.
I still think it is to early to predict that his career is to be tarnished or is in the process of being tarnished. In context to statistics look at Ivan Cleary, his current win/loss ratio in this current stint as coach is also 47% except his at the opposite end of the spectrum but with pretty much the same players and initially pissed off fans . Based upon statistics I would be backing Des to also turn things around as he has done in the past. I do think the true fundamentals of the game have not changed all that much. Just ask Wayne Bennett. I respect your opinion is different and this is what I guess makes the world interesting. I just believe Dessies overall form to date deserves a little more faith.....GO Manly!

I still think it is to early to predict that his career is to be tarnished or is in the process of being tarnished. In context to statistics look at Ivan Cleary, his current win/loss ratio in this current stint as coach is also 47% except his at the opposite end of the spectrum but with pretty much the same players and initially pissed off fans . Based upon statistics I would be backing Des to also turn things around as he has done in the past. I do think the true fundamentals of the game have not changed all that much. Just ask Wayne Bennett. I respect your opinion is different and this is what I guess makes the world interesting. I just believe Dessies overall form to date deserves a little more faith.....GO Manly!
Geoff Toomey was 59% with a team that hated each other yet the Penns wanted 'results' so they changed to Barrett (40%) and then Hasler (47%)...

My issue with Hasler is that he has refused to hold players accountable for poor efforts... I get the whole not wanting to disrupt team harmony bit but our 'efforts' in the last 3 months of 2020 were embarrassing...

Des is a club legend and was one of my favorite players but he also quit the club without a second thought when the bulldogs offered him some gold (and took Cleal and co. with him) so you will have to excuse me if i am a little reluctant to join the 'poor Des' camp...

I think you need to take into consideration how it ended at the Bulldogs. The point being made is that if you compare his record over the last 3 years of coaching to before that, there is a distinct downward trend.

We are all concerned that this trend will continue. There were zero signs to the contrary after round one. Des is not superhuman. People do fail. People do get stuck in the past and struggle to move on, it isn’t like he is immune to such things.

We all want success, but in any profession you need to be able to identify the red flags and take action before it is too late. There are red flags everywhere at the moment.

Last edited:
Geoff Toomey was 59% with a team that hated each other yet the Penns wanted 'results' so they changed to Barrett (40%) and then Hasler (47%)...

My issue with Hasler is that he has refused to hold players accountable for poor efforts... I get the whole not wanting to disrupt team harmony bit but our 'efforts' in the last 3 months of 2020 were embarrassing...

Des is a club legend and was one of my favorite players but he also quit the club without a second thought when the bulldogs offered him some gold (and took Cleal and co. with him) so you will have to excuse me if i am a little reluctant to join the 'poor Des' camp...
100% agree with your take on Toovey. Not sure you mean by the poor Des camp? My initial point was about showing a little more respect based upon some tangible facts. I see that very different to feeling sorry for him. None of us really know how things ended for Des at the bulldogs ( the team was still quite competitive) or what really went down in 2011. This is all just speculation to assume it was his greed and one sided. I would feel more comfortable in believing there were two sides to the story as I don’t see the Penns bringing him back to the club if that was the case. Makes no sense at all.

100% agree with your take on Toovey. Not sure you mean by the poor Des camp? My initial point was about showing a little more respect based upon some tangible facts. I see that very different to feeling sorry for him. None of us really know how things ended for Des at the bulldogs ( the team was still quite competitive) or what really went down in 2011. This is all just speculation to assume it was his greed and one sided. I would feel more comfortable in believing there were two sides to the story as I don’t see the Penns bringing him back to the club if that was the case. Makes no sense at all.
Personally I reckon Des had raided the future coffers to buy another premiership and could see the writing on the wall because of his back-ended and ballooning contracts for an aging player group... pretty sure the backroom sh1t fights didn't help either... point is that Des acted like a mercenary so I now view him as just another mercenary and if a mercenary can't get results then you find someone better at doing the job...

You are right tho, we don't know what happened but imo "there ought to be an investigation" because what we were told in 2015 no longer seems to apply at our great club...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8