1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Define - Enforcer.

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by mozgrame, Sep 22, 2010.

1. mozgrame

mozgrame Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565 / 45
    I had a "discussion" with a bloke at work the other day about enforcers and their role in teams.  He reckons they are the blood and guts, maniac type players that every team needs a couple of to intimidate other sides.
    I think the role has changed and the true enforcer type these days are the Civonaceva (spelling?) and Steve Price types.  Hard as nails and relentless work rates.  Players like them put more stress on an oppostion side than the Croker's and Geyer type players.
    He used Watmough as a point in the Manly side, stating he is our enforcer.  I don't think he is as feared as he was in the intimidating role, but his work rate when fit is as good as any forward in the comp, minus mistakes.
    Just wondering what others thoughts were, and who would you nominate as modern enforcers??

2. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    Not nearly as many as in the old days of Randall, Gillespie, Ronny Gibbs, Reilly, O'Neill, Hoppa, Dowling, Tallis etc, in fact there are teams without enforcers, such as Titans, Tigers - even Illawarra-George - who have succeed this season.
    I'd put The Hyphenator into the modern enforcer category. Others that come to mind are Gallen, O'Donnel, Matai, Ben Cross, Crocker. Of course, these days the TV scrutiny is so intense it's hard to be the tough guy and remain on the field. Even Petro received two weeks, and he is a 'clean' enforcer.   

3. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    enforcers, we don't need long winded descriptions when we can just hand out a few names

- Mark "spud" Carrol
    - Terry Randall

Those guys were enforcers. I haven't seen any players come close in recent years.

4. MPC75

MPC75 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 9
    I thought Kylie Leuluai was an enforcer. Very under rated but very tough and clean. He was by no means a cat, but was feared by many.

I was dissapointed to see him leave a couple of years ago.

5. Seaeagle63

Seaeagle63 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    I used to love watching manly play Newcastle when Spud and Chief came together.  They were always at each others throat to see who would win the battle.

Bring that stuff back

6. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    en·forc·er   /ɛnˈfɔrsər, -ˈfoʊr-/  
    [en-fawr-ser, -fohr-]  
    –noun
    1. a person or thing that enforces.
    2. Terry Randall.

7. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    I used to love watching manly play Newcastle when Spud and Chief came together.  They were always at each others throat to see who would win the battle.

Bring that stuff back
    [/quote]

yes those two were certainly both enforcers and their clashes were epic

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mark carroll , ian roberts , david gillespie , glenn lazarus, martin bella, sam backo, greg dowling. bob cooper, dallas donnelly, les boyd, gorden tallis, alan cann, blocker roach,  bulldogs had more than any team in the 80`s, theres more i cant be ebothered racking me brain over them,  the toughest of the tough was bumper farrelly, jack elsegoods grand father, the stories about him,, if you want to check out stuff like that theres a site called the era of the biff .. www.eraofthebiff.com
    check it out  got all the hard men there, aww yeah i just rememberd another 1  les davdison when he hit them they stayed down,..

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to love watching manly play Newcastle when Spud and Chief came together.  They were always at each others throat to see who would win the battle.

Bring that stuff back
    [/quote]

yes those two were certainly both enforcers and their clashes were epic
    [/quote]i have that game on dvd..

10. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Can anyone find the youtube of the spud v chief hit?

11. Dan

Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Boyd is one of my favourites of all time, but on the field he was a thug, not an enforcer

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cement Gillespie

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    John Oneill.....Sattler

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Malcolm Reilly

15. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    Noel Kelly, Kevin Ward & Shane Webke would also qualify, with perhaps Gareth Ellis being as close as we have in the modern game.

16. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    Ian Roberts.

17. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Modern Game = Adrian Morley...

18. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Ruben Wiki was one not so long ago, Kevin Campion and Monty Betham also fitted into that category

19. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Just watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvMFHXcd0yQ&feature=more_related

What about old Solo? Some big bangs in there!

20. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,902 / 27
    An enforcer puts the attacking team in two minds through fear of that rib cracking hit. So many aspects of this game to love.