[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I’m sure dce could walk into most sides,but in saying that the majority of the halves run the ball dce doesn’t when he does it’s always sideways & it’s ineffective.Just play a simple game & stop overthinking.
DCE is 4th in the NRL amongst halfbacks for running metres.

DCE is 3rd in the NRL amongst halfbacks for runs made.

DCE is 2nd in the NRL amongst halfbacks for tackle breaks.

DCE is 4th in the NRL amongst (5th if you count Wishart) halfbacks for runs made over 8m.

Granted he is down the list for metres per run at 7m whilst Hughes is at 10m, Cleary and Weekes 9m and is is yet to register a line break.....though he is a very clear 1st for line break assists.

Anyhoo, just some data to add to the discussion.

Last edited:

DCE is 4th in the NRL amongst (5th if you count Wishart) halfbacks for runs made over 8m.

Granted he is down the list for metres per run at 7m whilst Hughes is at 10m, Cleary and Weekes 9m and is is yet to register a line break.....though he is a very clear 1st for line break assists.

Would be interesting to see his stats (if they exist) on errors made and how crucial those errors are. My problem with him is that he's too inconsistent - rocks or diamonds.

I’m sure dce could walk into most sides,but in saying that the majority of the halves run the ball dce doesn’t when he does it’s always sideways & it’s ineffective.Just play a simple game & stop overthinking.
That seems to sum it up and what has seemed quite obvious for many seasons with D C E .
Just to keep it simple , don"t go or try to go for the big plays or opportunist kicks when nothing is really on
Always has had good speed but not the type of attacking style to make clean ruck breaks , not at 7 anyway ..
Still would rate one of the best back up and finishing halves and that is how he is most effective , Give some early ball and follow the play from there . Kick options can be right up there as well but again to select or judge the right moments.
Defence still quite reasonable , just some of his reads and communication still on the iffy side unfortunately
Just such a good season last year , pretty much on top of his game in just about every department .
Hopefully can somehow channel that good vein of form for his remaining club games this season
Seemed to set a bit of unhealthy trend in the i st round Vagas against Souths and a couple of misjudged kicks in general play and a bit of wayward play after that in quite a few games .
Still think he has got it and is capable or should be capable of getting back to his last season higher standards .
Really good time to turn things around positively against the Broncs

Would be interesting to see his stats (if they exist) on errors made and how crucial those errors are. My problem with him is that he's too inconsistent - rocks or diamonds.
Ask and you shall receive.....though obvs no data on how crucial as that is subjective.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513_105612_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240513_105612_Chrome.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 29
i dont think his kicking gane is all its cracked up to be. He is a sweet kicker of the footy. His long kick has a bit of the greg chappell off drive about it. But kicking game

his short grubbers from about 10 m out. Seems to have almost shelved this after 2 or 3 years of constantly hitting legs rather than finding space . A knack of other teams starting to run away with the rebound is still a clear and a frustrating memory in the chapters of cha cha evans

a lot of his success comes from rebounds and mis play. He has knack

also tries to hard for the curl grubber which needs extra tap to start off the arc And allow for less foot contact

the 20 m bomb/ cross field about the quarter

way to many are too short or not high enough for real contests. His kick to saab on a tryline should be a regular. Also he has a tendancy to apply the hook or off the side off the boot kick but its never directed deep enough to land in danger territory. I have got used to the fact its a tactic of his and he hasnt just hooked it due to its regularity but its accuracy is waaay off to warrant its extra risk involved
not confusing with banana kicks, just the swing

his deep kicking is ok but as ive stated many times he positions to protect himself far too often. Surely with the kicker protected he can get in the line and at least milk a few. Maybe the new rule change might get him in there. His cleanskin would help him milk a few

his long kicks with surprise element are wonderful off the boot until the camera catches up and its clear we have no chase and no idea. So lets go with communication

i used to call him happy gilmour because he could smack em off the tee but had no short game.

Last edited:

🤣🤣🤣 3 of those 4 stats can easily be explained by running around in circles. The tackle break stat is his famous run to a defender and quickly pull back just before the tackle, always always always screwing up our runners already in motion.

But seriously, the title of this thread is obviously a g up.

Last edited:
Watching 100 or so Manly games during covid to now I have made 3 observations. 1 dare I say it, big islanders don't have much ball handling skills. 2 Jake is praised for his number of tackles, but a lot of them are self made with 6 against and penalties. This also tires out our team. He does seem to have improved. 3 THE VILLAGE IDIOT AWARD goes to dce, a lot of good stuff but his pass to the grass, his intercept pass, his headless choosing etc and worst of all his idiotic decisions that have given other team tries and cost us games. He has been doing these thing for years now.

Ask and you shall receive.....though obvs no data on how crucial as that is subjective.
If you really look at the list its the top halfbacks that need to carry their respective sides that make the most errors. Im ok with mistakes as it means they are having a go.

Hunt’s another top liner who has had to carry a team and makes his own fair share of errors.

No one would seriously argue that Hunt is not a good halfback. Nor should anyone think that of DCE, intercepts and all.

What do these stats mean?
They mean DCE can play
The Question is
Why isnt Seibold getting the best out of him ?
Why do the Maroons get the best out of him ?

Last edited:
Stats on poor decisions, poor positional play, bad options, bad defensive reads, and brain explosions dont exist. But i reckon he would be high on that list too

I've long since given up expecting Cherry to be something he is not. He has never been an organising half or a "game manager", and it's painfully obvious that he is never going to become one. It's just not his game.

He's always been an off-the-cuff, running half, who can excel in broken play, throw the occasional brilliant pass, kick the ball a long way, and pop a field goal when it's required. He's also a fantastic support player.

But he's also prone to taken bad options, throwing poor passes, and striking fear into the hearts of his own defensive with poor reads and decisions.

He can be brilliant, but also a lot less than brilliant. Over the years I've often said that he reminds me of the little girl who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead: when he is good, he is very, very good, and when he is bad, he is horrid.

The reason we expect more consistency from him is that he's one of our genuine star players. He's captained Queensland to State of Origin series victories. He's played for Australia. He's won and lost grand finals. Whatever he is, he is not the worst halfback in the NRL.

Of course, that still doesn't mean he's the right halfback for this team, and the question will always be, what has he done for us lately?

But it's important to remember he is not going anywhere any time soon. If he decides to keep playing when his contract ends, it'll be at Manly. There is no way on earth the club will risk being laughed at and derided the way Souths were laughed at derided for letting Adam Reynolds go (and as much as I like Reynolds, I still think Souths let him go for good reasons).

In a few short years we may well end up with the first 40-year-old captain in the NRL. So we just have to hope for more good than bad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11