1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daly bread: Sea Eagles in a bind over star's cut- price contract

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    HE'S the premiership-winning halfback and one of the hottest prospects in the NRL, yet Manly are baulking at a salary rise that would take him above the average wage of the competition.
    The Herald understands Daly Cherry-Evans, the Manly halfback who has starred for the Sea Eagles in the opening rounds of the premiership, is on a base salary of under $100,000 for this season. Which makes him one of the most valuable commodities in the competition - one of the top players in the league at a bargain-basement price.

Read the full article

2. dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +853 / 5
    Wow, i knew we didn't have much money, but going broke. We have won 2 premierships in the last 3 years and have made no money, that sucks!

This can't continue with Daly, we must sign him up.

Would hate to be David Perry, some tough decisions need to be made, in regards, to who is coming and going.

Pretty **** that our long serving players may be forced out. The NRL need to get some special exemptions in place for loyalty.

3. Dan79

Dan79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    The problem for the club is that they planned 2012's salary cap last year before dce's value soared. That makes it very difficult to offer an upgrade now. You have to remember the original contract was signed at 100k and everyone was happy. 100k was a risk on an unknown commodity. Turns out 100k was less than his worth, but you can't blame the club for that. We would be shouting if he was on 350k and turned out I be a dud. Not a fan on back ended contracts, but I see it as the only way to get him signed.
    You need to look after your employees, especially ones like DCE. We need to be more proactive and extend contracts before players get close to contract expiring. DCE doesn't ern expire this year and he is already fielding calls from rival clubs. I hate that

4. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,526 / 32
    DCE and Foran are number one priority. The retention of any other players is secondary. They are that important to our future.

5. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    The article doesn't say we going broke, it says the club, meaning the team, is in danger of being broken up. The issue is the salary cap, not our being broke.

6. dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +853 / 5
    Thanks for the clarification SER8. 15 hours into a 16 hour shift and miss read the article lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    So I guess chery wants the club to get rid of 2 players so he can get his upgrade for this year.

That'll make him popular with the team.

Player "where's Rose and wolfman?"
    DCE "they were sent to the bulldogs to pay for my upgrade"

8. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Begs the question
    What's Cherry worth ?

9. kurri eagle

kurri eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 1
    The 2 halves just have to be kept at all costs , i would love to keep all the guys but the fact is a pair of halves like our come along once in a lifetime.

10. BOZO

BOZO Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,845 / 192
    He is worth keeping !!!

11. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    Let's make this really clear we are no where remotely near being broke.
    David Perry and his team have done an excellent job turning things around and into the black.

12. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    I agree. If it is going to take a back ended contract to keep DCE beyond 2013 then so be it. We all know there is going to be some pain (i.e. quality players released) so we can keep DCE & Foran. I hate that some of our current team will be forced out but that is the sad reality of a competition with a salary cap.

13. simon_eagle

simon_eagle Well-Known Member

East Sydney
    Ratings:
    +315 / 7
    Pay him whatever he wants.

We'll have to make do by off-loading a few guys. I can't see him getting a massive contract upgrade for this season (obvious salary cap restrictions) but starting from next season, if he is not on $300,000+ then we may as well kiss him goodbye. Brisbane have the money, I’m sure of that.[/align]

14. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    The fact Manly will have to lose quality players is only because they have won premierships. I'd much rather that than to have been able to keep them all after winning nothing.
    Even though they had their premierships stripped, you only have to look at the quality players that have left the storm since 2007. Inglis, Crocker, Folau, King, Turner, White, Johnson, Kafusi, Blair. Their fans must have hated that as much as we will hate losing some of our stars.

15. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,904 / 27
    I'm not a fan of back ended contracts either, but it's a fair bet that the salary cap will increase substantially when the new TV rights are locked in. The players are going to want their cut of the pie and I don't think it's beyond reason for the clubs to be expecting something like a 6mil annual grant from the NRL.

16. Haz88

Haz88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    This concerns me , the fact we havent been able to offer him a decent contract since August ! only allows more offers to come in else were for him and delaying everything.
    What ever needs to be done to keep DCE and Foz i think needs to be done.

We have seen with melbourne and in the previous post they lost alot of players but since they were able to keep there spine they have always been successfull and will continue to push for the title, we retain DCE and Foran we will be always there or there abouts!!

17. tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,244 / 131
    Whare can cover for Williams and any number of props can cover for Rose

18. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    I don't think players like Rose and Wolfman are the ones that need to go. We need to lose a couple of players on huge money, because Foran and DCE are both commanding big bucks themselves. You can't replace a player on Rose's salary with a player like Foran. It doesn't add up. To sign Foran and DCE long term we need to shed a couple of marquee players. Our marquee players ATM include Choc, Lyon and both Stewies IMO. We probably need to lose two of these to keep DCE and Foran (our next two marquee players)

19. Haz88

Haz88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    yeah but your not just taking there yearly salary its their salary over the years they are signed. 200k for 3 years 600 k free straight away. Thats why free up a couple of blokes then have some young players fill the void then there should be enough cash to extend the contracts ?? if it was that easy of course lol

20. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Well we know Kite is going at the end of the year, so there's 250 - 300 or so a year.

What's the problem?