• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bradza said:
Jono, I have sat next to you on a supporters bus although you would not know who I am. I know you are a passionate supporter but you really piss me off when you start grading fan behaviour and choices. Get over yourself.

Note before hand: I am only quoting you Bradza as your post was the shortest and most to the point from the others. This is a reply to everyone.

Everyone has a right to choose, but when we lose Brookvale Oval, or when we lose our club, then what?

Everyone has a right to make life choices, and that is your choice. But, as Fluffy said, you cannot sit there and whinge about the crowd not being good enough. For too long I have heard people complain on here about the crowd numbers. I am getting sick of it. Either you go to the games or you don't. That is your choice and it could be for financial purposes.

As I said before, when I am tied down, my life will change and I will have to make choices, just like everyone else. However, there are people out there who are like me, that don't have other things to do, that COULD turn up if they wanted to, that just don't make the effort because they "would rather watch it on TV" or "it's too cold", they are the ones that should be helping the club by turning up. I am sure there are some on here that are like that, and if they are the ones complaining about the crowd, they need to do something about.

I might have aoffended a few people before in my last post and I apologise. I am just getting sick of people talking about the crowd numbers. Some of us are doing our best as well while we can to help the club, the Membership Team are doing the best they can as well. However, there is nothing we can do when there are people out there that just can't be bothered turning up. THEY are the ones I was attacking, not you Bradza, or you Susan.

Bradza said:
Jono, I have sat next to you on a supporters bus although you would not know who I am. I know you are a passionate supporter but you really piss me off when you start grading fan behaviour and choices. Get over yourself.

Note before hand: I am only quoting you Bradza as your post was the shortest and most to the point from the others. This is a reply to everyone.

Everyone has a right to choose, but when we lose Brookvale Oval, or when we lose our club, then what?

Everyone has a right to make life choices, and that is your choice. But, as Fluffy said, you cannot sit there and whinge about the crowd not being good enough. For too long I have heard people complain on here about the crowd numbers. I am getting sick of it. Either you go to the games or you don't. That is your choice and it could be for financial purposes.

As I said before, when I am tied down, my life will change and I will have to make choices, just like everyone else. However, there are people out there who are like me, that don't have other things to do, that COULD turn up if they wanted to, that just don't make the effort because they "would rather watch it on TV" or "it's too cold", they are the ones that should be helping the club by turning up. I am sure there are some on here that are like that, and if they are the ones complaining about the crowd, they need to do something about.

I might have aoffended a few people before in my last post and I apologise. I am just getting sick of people talking about the crowd numbers. Some of us are doing our best as well while we can to help the club, the Membership Team are doing the best they can as well. However, there is nothing we can do when there are people out there that just can't be bothered turning up. THEY are the ones I was attacking, not you Bradza, or you Susan.

Napper said:
jbb/james said:
Swearing- whether the word is new or not to a child. Hearing The F word when dad hits his thumb with a hammer, or in traffic is one thing, Being involved in a crowd situation when the words are screamed with Hate, passion and anger is very intimidating for young folk. They are only waist high, have a different view of the world, are squeezed in and are often uncomfortable with the surroundings well before the crowd goes ballistic, and the exposure to mob mentality is not healthy, regardless of how many times the kids hears the word at school.

There is a big difference between swearing and intimidation,

Its very naive to suggest that this behavior is acceptable because it happens some places, some times

I'm no angel but i do feel disappointed with myself if i go crazy in front of a child or woman. Its the standard I have set myself, feel free to set your own , but gutter standards can be tolerated but not justified

Would you stand next to the beer stand on the hill with a 10 year old child? Of course not. Nor would you take him to a rowdy pub for lunch or let him watch a Samuel L Jackson movie.

And if you think doing those things is suitable you shouldnt have a problem with your kids swearing

so you must condone the behavior, as i am merely throwing my 2 cents worth in about the acceptance that is socially acceptable to be a potty mouth at the footy.

Mate ive been there, made mistakes i regret. I used to have the exact attitude and would have sprouted almost word for word what you said above. But things change, people change and you get more concerned about the footprint you make while on lifes journey

TokyoEagle said:
Would these people the speak like this in front of their grandmother? If not, then why is it acceptable at the football?

Because my Grandmother doesn't got to the football.

Fluff and Jono

yep.may have got it out of context.only read the last page or so.if people go out of their way to whinge about small crowds yet dont go then they are fair game and see your point for sure.

On the flip side,if they dont make an issue of the small crowds and merely enjoy the Eagles whether on TV or at the ground,then it is their own busines if they go or not even if they have the financial capacity to do so.Most of the blokes I know who dont get there regularly but love the team dont bag the crowd attendances for obvious reasons.

Jono said:
THEY are the ones I was attacking, not you Bradza, or you Susan.

Jono, I attend the games and I don't whinge about the crowds so I never took your comments as an attack on me. My issue was only that you were "attacking" (your word) anyone at all! On the one hand, I appreciate the positives of someone stirring things up and nudging people out of their comfort zone. On the other hand, we're talking footy here and it's one small piece of life's puzzle and I don't think anyone needs to be attacked for their non attendance. If Manly doesn't survive at Brookvale Oval I will be very disappointed but I don't think the difference between a 14,000 crowd average and a 17,000 crowd average is going to be the determining factor in that decision.

Anyway, this debate has arisen from time to time and will do so again down the track! At least it hasn't turned into a 300 post argument about the wider and unsolvable issue of swearing in general.::rolleyes:

The Eagle said:
voicefromthehill said:
Swearing is an easy one to manage - a well timed "mate there are kids here" generally pulls them into line.

So? They say worse at school

My 4 year old doesn't

My personal opinion (and some may see it as dated) is that you don't swear in front of women and children. I have found when using the aforementioned tactic most people apologise, or act tough, mention the family hill and then go quiet.

I can handle an occasional swear word, it is the person that hasn't expanded their vocab that I am referring to.

You lot are kidding. There have been drunk males full of testosterone sitting on hills watching the footy long before you all came along.

If you're sitting with the rowdy crowd it is your fault people are swearing in front of your kids. At a ground with grandstands all round then you have a right to questions swearers but when there's a "FAMILY HILL" at the ground thats where you should be.

They will hear worse, one day I'll be revered as polite in comparison to society, that is the path society has chosen

Napper said:
You lot are kidding. There have been drunk males full of testosterone sitting on hills watching the footy long before you all came along.

If you're sitting with the rowdy crowd it is your fault people are swearing in front of your kids. At a ground with grandstands all round then you have a right to questions swearers but when there's a "FAMILY HILL" at the ground thats where you should be.

You mean the FAMILY HILL where you get drunk teenagers vomiting on you?

Where you can't see the game?

That sits in shadow?

That one?

If I chose to sit on the hill to watch a game yes it is my call, and as I said I have no problem with the occasional swearing - as The Eagle has said, it is where society is heading rightly or wrongly (mind you I am teaching my boy there is nothing wrong with not following the crowd)

Based on the marketing of memberships the club is trying to attract younger followers, maybe make it more of a family environment, therefore it is not beyond the pale to expect people to not spew forth a stream of vile filth. But that said when I am with my boy - I sit on the outer fully aware that the halfway is populated by such idiots. Generally amongst the better behaved away supporters

edit for clarity

Well it's your choice.

For the record i dont swear in front of kids or women but without the lunatics that hurl abuse at the opposition a home ground advantage wouldn't be what it is.

No Eagle, that's how some low lifes choose their way in life to act and it may be the people you mix with that speak like that. It depends alot on the role models they/you are around.
Napper, I won't ever agree with you on this. Just because some humans act like pathetic grubs (can't handle their alcohol) doesn't mean we have to put up with it and move away. "Heroes", like the testerone mates you mentioned should sit at home and be "heroes" in front of their girlfriends etc.

Its the way Society is and has been for years. People aren't going to change for you or your kids.

Napper said:
Well it's your choice.

For the record i dont swear in front of kids or women but without the lunatics that hurl abuse at the opposition a home ground advantage wouldn't be what it is.

But do people really need to swear to give that advantage? I go at it all game, absolutely giving it to the opposition. Most games I come away without a voice - but I don't swear.

No not really. I swear alot in general (work on a construction site) but don't feel comfortable swearing so loud. I say some horrible things i wouldnt encourage kids to say but it doesnt involve swearing.

I have no issue with the f's and ****s etc. What I have issue with is the more vulgar abuse like I have heard. One example was to do with Greg Inglis's grandmother and a certain part of her anatomy and them doing certain things to her. That is just wrong and probably the worst I have heard but other things I have heard have not been far below that.

Yeah see what Garts is saying is just stupid but i dont see a problem with

"(insert player/refs name) you're a ****ing germ" etc..

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7