Cronulla Sharks Lyall Gorman a target for Manly Sea Eagles CEO role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Mitch

Bencher
The Daily Telegraph - Dean Ritchie

CRONULLA chief executive Lyall Gorman heads an impressive shortlist of potential candidates for the vacant CEO position at Manly.

The Daily Telegraph revealed on Tuesdaythat the Sea Eagles had officially kickstarted their extensive search to replace Tim Cleary, who left in May.

Although the club’s hunt in its infancy, Gorman’s name has already been mentioned in influential places at Brookvale.

Several senior administrators from high-profile AFL clubs have shown interest in the role.

Manly owner and club chairman Scott Penn would not comment on the issue. It is known however, Gorman and Penn are friends.

Other candidates thought to be in the mix include Canterbury chief executive Raelene Castle, 2017 Rugby League World Cup CEO, Andrew Hill, Leeds Rhinos CEO, Gary Hetherington, New Zealand Warriors boss Jim Doyle and Gold Coast Titans chief operating officer and former Manly forward Tony Mestrov.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Cronulla officials approached Manly officials to discuss the Gorman situation before last Sunday’s match between the two clubs.

The names of candidates currently in AFL roles remain a mystery.

Gorman, who has had premiership success with Cronulla and A-League side Western Sydney Wanderers, said: “I didn’t even know there was a vacant CEO job. That’s how well I am going.

“I just got the Bulldogs (vacant CEO job) emailed me. That’s just headhunters doing their job. I haven’t had any discussions at all, anywhere.

“My focus is to help work through (Cronulla’s) cash flow to make sure we are financially viable. That’s where my focus is at the minute. I am just focused on my job here.”

Penn and his recruitment agency are unlikely to genuinely consider any internal candidates.

On Monday, Penn told The Daily Telegraph his club had to secure the right candidate who can rid the “toxic” environment which has engulfed the front office.

Cleary, Joe Kelly, David Perry, Grant Mayer, Graham Lowe, Paul Cummings, Pat Wilson and Ian Thomson have been in charge at times since 2003.

“This is about making sure we talk to the people who have, ideally, had some sports administration experience, given the nuances of the game,” Penn said on Monday.

“We absolutely have to find the right person. Whilst it seemingly has been a revolving door, we know where we want to be. There are some quality candidates in the market. We have an exciting future.”

Penn has been filling in as acting CEO since Cleary left with the club hoping to nail down its new chief executive in the coming weeks.

Impressive list of candidates- they would want to be resilient

Ok look !! a Dean Ritchie article ....... pass the salt.

Being a friend of Penn's worked so well last time, so we should so try that again.

I might have read the article wrong But WSW have never won the A-League title...

Just give it to Bozo, save a lot of issues that may arise lol

They will need to pay well overs to get anyone credible or a lunatic that loves a good f#$cking challenge to take this role.

I might have read the article wrong But WSW have never won the A-League title...

Just give it to Bozo, save a lot of issues that may arise lol
It says "premiership success". They won the premiership in 2012/13 (finished first) but not the championship (winning GF).

Gorman is the best.
If they want a CEO that isn't just a yes man, I hope they can get him. Otherwise stick to a Fulton/Penn

On Monday, Penn told The Daily Telegraph his club had to secure the right candidate who can rid the “toxic” environment which has engulfed the front office.

So Penn has to hire someone else to rid the toxic environment that's in his own business.

Why don't you do that yourself Mr Penn, then you only have to hire someone to be the CEO

Kirstie Fulton

There's your CEO.

She can tell Dad to **** off if he's not happy, and threaten to have Dad mess with Penns head if he's the one unhappy.

As to the staff that's easy, " it's my way or the highway losers".

Great choice in my opinion.

Whoever takes this role, has to have a phd in conflict resolution. the culture seems like to be. That the more things change, the more they stay the same. What is needed is professionalism and people who put the club first.

On Monday, Penn told The Daily Telegraph his club had to secure the right candidate who can rid the “toxic” environment which has engulfed the front office
May seem like a dumb question, but how long has the toxic environment existed? Since 2008? Maybe earlier? Or is this a brand new toxic environment that has no relationship to all the previous toxic environments?
If there has been a long term problem then it can't be too hard to work out where it comes from. Most employees have been sacked or moved on, so there must be very few people who have been continuously involved with club for that whole time. Very few. Maybe they have something to do with it?

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8