Soft underbelly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I've been trying not to add input here, until I got off my emotional meltdown (sorry @NREagle ), so that I could respond with a little more balance. I think @maxta , as usual, is spot on (so why not this thread to share?). Anyways here are my thought's:

Andrew Voss. I cannot for one more second of my life tolerate listening to this pretender death-ride Manly in games. He is an abomination of a commentator, the rest not being far off. Anyone experience channel 9? What's that is like? Any better?

Next, to be fair, I've seen a whole lot of death riding in the past 24 hours, and vitriol thrown around at our players. Guys, we are top 4, so let's have a LITTLE perspective here. As recently as last week, we were world beaters, top 4, and contenders. And this is coming from me ! Bahahaha.

I do think we missed Haumole in both attack and defense. He shuts down a lot. Thankfully, he'll be back soon. I'd also like us to look at bringing in some mobility into that backrow. Not brute power, I'm talking pace, explosive footwork, but more importantly, less of the bigger sized (power types), and more Liam Martin / Victor Radley types, who can keep motoring for a full 80 minutes.

And therein lays our problem in my view. Too many of the same types of forwards. Same as what NRL on Fox were saying about Parra, and what I was saying all off season. They WILL be magnificent for 40 - 60 minutes, but they aren't build for endurance, they are built for power (if that makes sense) in bursts. They will get tired, and we'll fade, and teams will roll over us.

And to be clear - this isn't a player problem, it's a recruitment problem. You can't turn an apple into an orange, no matter how many times you demand it to (unless it's a cross-dressing apple). And speaking of cross dressing:

A little birdie told me @Dan was at the game last night???? Where was my call brother? What have I done wrong? You been speaking to @The Wheel, and he's convinced you to ignore me as well, like he is? **** dude.

Lastly, a huge apologies to @NREagle publicly, that meltdown and me screaming was a little (okay, maybe a LOT) over the top. I love you very much babe, I hope you know that :inlove:
Voss is a disgraceful commentator. The latest call of our game against Canberra highlighted this. I understand he supports the Vermin and therefore its inbred in them to hate us, the constant narrative during the game, death riding us, complaining about the six agains, the penalties and his call was from a Canberra and Manly hater perspective. It is hard enough watching your team and riding every bump and devastating to lose after leading 20-0, its another thing to listen to this guys biased drivel. I am at the point now when we play and he commentates that its time to mute the sound. Foxtel will do sweet FA about him!!

Not sure it is a "soft underbelly" that is our problem. The main cause imo is that the individuals in the team seem to play to the standard of the opposition rather play to a standard. Subtle but massive difference. Penrith and Melbourne for example play to a level standard each week irrespective of who is in front of them. Until Seibold sets that minimum standard for each individual (mentally and commitment wise) and hence collectively as a team, then this issue will continue against weaker sides. Yes individual mistakes lost us the game last night but I thought our middle forwards just turned up to pick up their pay cheques. They did not turn up to bury their opposition. I thought they lacked any intensity with their runs and they allowed Canberra boys back into the game. Lodge and Brown were MIA and Sipley simply should not have been out there and looked really unfit. Paseka was ok but did not rise to any occasion while Aloiai seemed to go down with the ball almost instantly as he was tackled. Having said that, I also thought DCE and Turbo had really poor games.

The only good news from last nights game is that our defence out wide seemed to be much better. The other piece of good news is that irrespective of the result, I think we will likely beat most of the Top 4-8 teams. It 's the bottom 8 teams that will worry us. Seibold needs to clearly establish those standards of play expected for EACH and EVERY individual in the team.....for every game.
I agree we seem to play "down" to the levels of the ordinary teams, but to give up big leads is 100% the sign of a soft underbelly....the "Mentally tougher" teams like Penrith also drop intensity at times taking foot of the throat, but when the whips are cracking they find the deep desire and attitute to stop the rot and get back into the fight and run away with these games comfotably......until Manly find a similar attitude, they will continue to have a soft underbelly and give away dominant leads on the scoreboard.

Aloiai seemed to go down with the ball almost instantly???? What games have you been watching? Aloiai was once again one of our better forwards!!!! Specsavers?
Watch the game again. Josh's post contact metres have been skinny so far this season and barely registered on the weekend. If you don't believe me check the NRL stats. He does NOT make the "Top 50" list for post contact metres across the comp. We have 4 guys that make this list in Paseka, Haumole, Tommy Turbo and (would you believe) Tolu. So not sure if this is deliberate with Josh so he can get up quickly and play the ball fast but clearly his post contacts don't register. I thought that was pretty obvious against the Raiders.

I agree we seem to play "down" to the levels of the ordinary teams, but to give up big leads is 100% the sign of a soft underbelly....the "Mentally tougher" teams like Penrith also drop intensity at times taking foot of the throat, but when the whips are cracking they find the deep desire and attitute to stop the rot and get back into the fight and run away with these games comfotably......until Manly find a similar attitude, they will continue to have a soft underbelly and give away dominant leads on the scoreboard.
Three (3) of the Raiders 4 tries were directly off individual mistakes that you would not see in a month of Sundays. AND those mistakes came from our "Big 3" boys. Having said that, I do think that at least 3 of our forwards did not aim up so yes definitely something soft there on Friday. All been named to play against the dolphins on Thursday so hopefully they (pardon the pun) harden up!!

Three (3) of the Raiders 4 tries were directly off individual mistakes that you would not see in a month of Sundays. AND those mistakes came from our "Big 3" boys. Having said that, I do think that at least 3 of our forwards did not aim up so yes definitely something soft there on Friday. All been named to play against the dolphins on Thursday so hopefully they (pardon the pun) harden up!!
Yeh it was 1 of those games where strange things happened, but the early Msnly intensity had disappeared allowing those unusual plays.
I reckon we will get a strong response and will need to, as the Dolphins may not be spectacular, but make you work for the 80 and only an intense effort from Manly will bring home the 2 points.
If Manly match their enthusiasm, we have the class to get it done.

Yeh it was 1 of those games where strange things happened, but the early Msnly intensity had disappeared allowing those unusual plays.
I reckon we will get a strong response and will need to, as the Dolphins may not be spectacular, but make you work for the 80 and only an intense effort from Manly will bring home the 2 points.
After last weeks "effort'"....Manly by a lot!!!

The problem is Manly have form in losing games they should win. In fact you can almost bank on it. Getting run down or run over is sadly in this groups DNA. How many humiliating moments do they need before they turn up ready or protect a lead. The Dolphins in their 35 game history have more demonstrable grit than we do. I really hope last week was the final straw for the group. Otherwise we are a repeat of the last 8 years. Good enough to avoid bottom 3, but a looooong way away from the 8.

The problem is Manly have form in losing games they should win. In fact you can almost bank on it. Getting run down or run over is sadly in this groups DNA. How many humiliating moments do they need before they turn up ready or protect a lead. The Dolphins in their 35 game history have more demonstrable grit than we do. I really hope last week was the final straw for the group. Otherwise we are a repeat of the last 8 years. Good enough to avoid bottom 3, but a looooong way away from the 8
Unfortunately very well said mate - has become part of the Manly DNA and this started well before Seibold got here
As you say - enough enough of this rubbish, very frustrating and I recall a ridiculous game vs Cows 2-3 years ago and fell apart late allowing 4 or 5 late tries and not that I'm negative or Maxtradamous, but I had honestly could see it unfolding before it did.

Voss is a disgraceful commentator. The latest call of our game against Canberra highlighted this. I understand he supports the Vermin and therefore its inbred in them to hate us, the constant narrative during the game, death riding us, complaining about the six agains, the penalties and his call was from a Canberra and Manly hater perspective. It is hard enough watching your team and riding every bump and devastating to lose after leading 20-0, its another thing to listen to this guys biased drivel. I am at the point now when we play and he commentates that its time to mute the sound. Foxtel will do sweet FA about him!!
When we are under the pump the last person you want to hear is Vossy constantly in your ear giving his annoying slanted take on the game. jeez, you need to take Panadol listening to this guy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11