1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country v City Teams

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Todd Carney handed NSW Country debut
    AAP

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=50780
    Canberra star Todd Carney claimed his first representative honour today after being named five-eighth for NSW Country in next Friday's clash with NSW City at WIN Stadium.

Carney will partner Parramatta halfback Brett Finch in the halves for the annual clash that this year is shaping as a genuine trial for the NSW halfback position.

Manly fullback Brett Stewart, unluckily dumped from the Australian team today due to Billy Slater's sensational form, was named in the No.1 jersey in a Country team laden with former Test stars.

Parramatta star Nathan Hindmarsh is another dumped Kangaroo in this side, while Danny Buderus, Jamie Lyon, Matt Cooper, Craig Fitzgibbon and Andrew Ryan have also worn the green and gold.

Buderus was named for Country despite pleas from his Newcastle coach Brian Smith to let the NSW captain sit out the trial to avoid injury.

Gold Coast forward Anthony Laffranchi, unluckily overlooked for an Australian spot, was named in the front row as selectors left out possible prop contenders including Cronulla's Luke Douglas and St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles.

Manly's Glenn Stewart will make his debut for Country off the bench, along with Tigers forward Chris Heighington and Cronulla fullback Brett Kearney.

The team:

Brett Stewart, Joel Monaghan, Jamie Lyon, Matt Cooper, Anthony Quinn, Todd Carney, Brett Finch, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Andrew Ryan, Craig Fitzgibbon.

Interchange: Ben Cross, Chris Heighington, Brett Kearney, Glenn Stewart.

City team to follow

2. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,624 / 132
    Congrats to Glenn

His game has improved immensely over the last couple of weeks and he was very good last night

3. Downie

Downie Active Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    How Andrew Ryan continues to make rep teams is beyond me.

4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    KANGAROOS TEAM
    1. Billy Slater
    2. Israel Folau
    3. Mark Gasnier
    4. Justin Hodges
    5. Greg Inglis
    6. Darren Lockyer ©
    7. Jonathon Thurston
    8. Brent Kite
    9. Cameron Smith
    10. Petero Civoniceva
    11. Paul Gallen
    12. Ryan Hoffman
    13. Greg Bird
    Interchange
    14. Matt Gidley
    15. Willie Mason
    16. Carl Webb
    17. Anthony Tupou

COUNTRY
    1. Brett Stewart
    2. Joel Monaghan
    3. Jamie Lyon
    4. Matt Cooper
    5. Anthony Quinn
    6. Todd Carney
    7. Brett Finch
    8. Brett White
    9. Danny Buderus ©
    10. Anthony Laffranchi
    11. Nathan Hindmarsh
    12. Andrew Ryan
    13. Craig Fitzgibbon
    Interchange
    14. Ben Cross
    15. Chris Heighington
    16. Brett Carney
    17. Glenn Stewart

CITY
    1. Brett Hodgson
    2. Jarryd Hayne
    3. Ben Pomeroy
    4. Brett Delaney
    5. Luke Rooney
    6. Braith Anasta
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. Mark O’Meley
    9. Corey Hughes
    10. Jason King
    11. Luke Lewis
    12. Mark Minichiello
    13. John Sutton
    Interchange:
    14. Bryce Gibbs
    15. Ray Cashmere
    16. Feleti Mateo
    17. Peter Wallace

5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    Orford misses out on the lot !!

6. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    City:

Pomeroy
    Delaney
    Pearce
    Lewis at second row
    Hughes?!?!?!?!!?

What blind loser picked these players

7. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I would have thought that Ryan, Fitzgibbon and Hindmarsh (to a lesser extent) should have been replaced by young up and comers who would benefit from the step up from club footy. Neither are likely to make higher honours in the future - except Hindy. It is a fall back to the pre Super League War days when the CRL could pick its own team as the game means more to those folk than the best interests of the whole game and blooding young players with potential. Good to see Carney get a run and Glenn Stewart should enjoy his taste of the big time.

A few of the city players???? You are kidding. Mitchell Pearce is a player with potential but it shows that the Gould/Roosters powerbase still has plenty of influence.

8. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    well if King drops out at least we won't have Manly players against each other

9. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Country to win by plenty

10. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    orford was awesome

i guess he is just not blowin the same c@nts in the media billy is

11. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Country will win by about a million.

Thank god Orford isn't playing with those players around him. He would look bad, and then have no chance of getting picked for Origin.

12. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    I feel for Orford guys. He's put in the hard work. I hope this doesn't demoralise him @ all.

13. Canteen Worker

Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +212 / 5
    I doubt this will demoralise him - he will set out to prove the selectors wrong and play well, week in and week out, especially against top opposition.

14. King

King Active Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 3
    No Orford... What a joke.

Its obvious they are trialing the Pearce/Anasta Combination for Origin.

If Pearce doesn't do much Finch will get it.

15. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    I hope so mate. I just don't get it !

16. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Some odd ones there. City doesn't have great depth in the centres, but I thought Lawrence would get a gig. Pomeroy's been playing bloody well for the Sharks, and while I don't think Delaney is a great centre his results speak for themselves. Jordan Atkins scored a bunch of tries outside him, then he is replaced by Sideshow Bob who scores four tries in two games outside of Delaney. Mind you, I was pretty shocked to see his name.

Lewis has been playing largely in the second row since his return from injury, and he's been going alright. But it is a little bit bizarre.

Who else is there aside from Hughes? Riddell and Farah both injured for example. Not a lot of depth there.

The one that really shocked me was Rooney!!! He's been absolutely disgraceful this year...plenty of blokes ahead of him surely. Steve Turner, Chris Lawrence, Dean Collis (move someone to the wing), Michael Jennings....surely there are more than that as well.

17. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,115 / 287
    King has been injured in the last two games he has played for City. Maybe his low grade ankle strain is a positive !!(Selfish thinking here I know).

18. SilentBob

SilentBob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Country by 50.

Wish the game was tomorrow so we could get it over and done with and erase it from our memories like every other year.

19. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Pomeroy  :eek: :eek:. WTF. Has this guy scored a try, made a line break or even set up a try this year ? There must be slim pickings in the City Centre ranks if he is getting a run. The Sharks have the worst "for" in the comp because they can't score a try due to having duds like this clown playing in the outside backs.

As for Corey Hughes.....puhlease. Rather see someone like Isaac Luke or De Gois given a go

20. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    lmao at the city side.